National team's lack of bears

I know I shouldn't and I should know better, but I did have a wry smile on my face when the final whistle blew in Macedonia last Saturday.

I didn't see the match as I was travelling down to Birmingham for the weekend to watch the Masters, but I listened to most of it on the radio on the way down.

It always intrigues me why I dont want Scotland players to do well if they play for celtic. And on top of that if there are more celtic players in the team than Rangers players, I cannot wish them success.

I am proudly Scottish, but some of our "Scottish" culture really annoys me. Bagpipes, tartan, kilts, anti-englishness and that truly awful so-called anthem FOS. The results of England, Wales and NI dont even register with me, international football is just an annoying break from the real stuff in my opinion.

I must admit that when we pushed France and Italy close under Walter, and then Alex in the last campaign I couldn't help but get caught up in it a wee bit and actually went to the local club to watch the Italy game on the big screens. Even then I could only look at players like McThug and Hartley and wish them every misfortune and wonder why the manager could not find someone better than them to play instead.

I pick on the celtic players when they play for Scotland. Every bad pass, lost header or mistake is further proof that they should not be in the team, and Rangers players mistakes are "unlucky".

Under new management, with a ridiculous pair of assistants, Burley has a lot to live up to. I was naturally sympathetic to Scotland's cause under the previous two managers due to them both being former Rangers managers. Burley on the other hand looked to me as under-qualified for the job. He ran away from Hearts before we could see if he was any good and his greatest success in England was over a decade ago. His first few friendlies last season were hard to judge as Rangers players were withdrawing due to our mammoth campaign, and friendlies are a waste of time.

To pick 5 celtic players in the starting line-up barely a week since they were gubbed in the OF game was a poor call. The OF game is huge and their confidence must have been shattered (LOL). He can state that he had call-offs, but you must ask yourself why. It is already looking like Berti mark 2, with players seemingly uninterested to play for him, and I am sure most players will ask themselves why they should turn up to be coached by someone like Pressley, a player with "limited ability" if ever there was one, and no coaching experience at all, while Butchers experiences in the game since hanging up his boots are, sadly, hardly admirable.

So I leave you with this question,

When was the last time a Scotland team won an WC/EURO qualifier with more celtic players than Rangers players in it?

Answers on a postcard to Iceland before tomorrow night.

The results of England, Wales and NI dont even register with me, international football is just an annoying break from the real stuff in my opinion.

that's my view. :thup:

gbs said "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him." - the same is true of scotland. people from aberdeen hate people from glasgow - people from edinburgh are hated by people from glasgow. they then decide to throw off this hate for each other by dawning silly hats and skirts.

it's a nice sentiment, but its more of a pain-in-the-ass than aberdonians. :D

I must agree with you here, at times i myself have game personal biast to some players.

I normally get excited about Scotland games, but Saturday i wasn't really that fussed and tonight i am not overlly excited but looking forward to spending time with my mates, bevy and watch the game together. Maybe it's because it's away games and not against a big team to get excited about. I absolutely love going to Hampden for the home games, get excited at the start of the week just like an Old Firm game or a european night.

That night against Italy could have been the best night in our history but it wasnt and after the full time whistle blew. All hell broke loose in the city centre, we werent together anymore.

The run up to the game was brilliant and the fact it was a 5pm kick off was great

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just top placed side qualifies.

Gordon will start, but strong in the goalkeeping department.

In the squad crap defence, crap midfield and the forwards lack quality and depth in back up.

Terrible, terrible squad not helped by call-offs and injuries. Least I ever remember looking forward to a Scotland game.

My post from the match thread.

Think my ambivolence (sp) towards the game stemmed from the same reasons as the OP. A team full of Celtic players and 1 Rangers player (who I don't particularly rate). My attitude is perhaps changing towards national football as I age, or it was a one off response to the lack of representation from us and over-representation from them.

I have experience the unfortunate events of (mainly) tims abusing (mainly) Ferguson at Scotland games, such as the Italy one where he as one of the few players who didn't look out of place against such quality opposition.

Before I think I used to celebrate a Scotland goal just as much, whoever scored it. Now I think maybe I was kidding myself. I always prefer a Rangers player to make a key contribution. I don't even mind, for example, Sheep Players playing and playing well. In all honestly i'd prefer none of the Celtic team to play.

I got annoyed with previous managers, Eck and Walter, not playing certain players as it affected the OF balance. That is why Hutton did not get capped much, much earlier for example (stop using this phrase :L). Burley certianly didn't worry about this when he played 5 (+1 sub) of the Celtic team who got pumped the previous weekend. The Celtic team and midfield in particualr are in rank form, and yet made up 3 of the 4 midfield places. Burley was handicapped by call offs and a weak squad selection. However, how Brown and Robson started in the wide midifield berths, and more galling, how Hartley played at all, when he could have played Commons (who looked particulalry exciting) is unbelievable.

To also include Alexander who is past it at the expense of Braodfoot was also a poor decision. Yes many, including bears and Burley himself, deride Broadfoot. But he was the only option at RB in that squad. Alexander is not, and arguably never was, good enough. in fact, not picking Broadfoot over Alexander smacks of a typical problem in international football and one which contributed to Hutton's delayed entry to international football. The old mantra of experience, or more accurately picking crap players merely because they have earned more caps before. It's why Hartley and Caldwell make every Scotland squad. Because a previous manager has given them caps they are now guaranteed to feature in every squad until they retire due to their experience. And this superceded form and actual ability. It's pathetic and braver mangament is required.

Fortunately, when everyone is fully fit, my malaise towards the national squad should be rescinded.

A first choice Scotland team would arguably look something like:

Gordon

Hutton McManus Caldwell Naysmith

Brown Ferguson Fletcher Robson

McFadden Miller

3 tims, 3 bears (if you include Hutton :D).

Personally I would look at replacing Naysmith although we need a youngster to come through, perhaps McEvely could step up again (what happened to him) or if Smith gets back to form.

I would also drop Caldwell, he is terrible. I would currently retain Weir, until Berra or Barr for example demonstrate enough quality to take over and carry us into tournaments Weir will no longer be playing for.

I am not entirely comfortable with Robson at LM either, but am struggling for options there. Personally I would drop Miller for Boyd too. McGregor is also pushing Gordon hard as well, he cannot afford a sustained drop in form.

My realistic best XI would be:

Gordon

Hutton Weir McManus Naysmith/A.N.Other

Brown Ferguson Fletcher Robson/A.N.Other

McFadden Boyd

2 tims, with Robson hopefully replaced. Brown also needs to improve his form or his place is in doubt.

4 Bears inc. Hutton, with Thomson and McGregor to potentially come in.

Thomson would infact be a better bet then either Brown or Robson presently, but they have a more natural ability to play wide.

A further option might be:

Gordon

Hutton Weir McManus Naymsith (for now)

Brown Fletcher Ferguson Thomson McFadden

Boyd

With Brown and McFadden pushed up on either wing. Although this brings up the 4-5-1 Boyd debate, so maybe a different forward.

Anyway, in a rather jumbled and disorganised manner, I think that about sums up all my current thoughts on the situation of the national team.

I know I shouldn't and I should know better, but I did have a wry smile on my face when the final whistle blew in Macedonia last Saturday.

I didn't see the match as I was travelling down to Birmingham for the weekend to watch the Masters, but I listened to most of it on the radio on the way down.

It always intrigues me why I dont want Scotland players to do well if they play for celtic. And on top of that if there are more celtic players in the team than Rangers players, I cannot wish them success.

I am proudly Scottish, but some of our "Scottish" culture really annoys me. Bagpipes, tartan, kilts, anti-englishness and that truly awful so-called anthem FOS. The results of England, Wales and NI dont even register with me, international football is just an annoying break from the real stuff in my opinion.

I must admit that when we pushed France and Italy close under Walter, and then Alex in the last campaign I couldn't help but get caught up in it a wee bit and actually went to the local club to watch the Italy game on the big screens. Even then I could only look at players like McThug and Hartley and wish them every misfortune and wonder why the manager could not find someone better than them to play instead.

I pick on the celtic players when they play for Scotland. Every bad pass, lost header or mistake is further proof that they should not be in the team, and Rangers players mistakes are "unlucky".

Under new management, with a ridiculous pair of assistants, Burley has a lot to live up to. I was naturally sympathetic to Scotland's cause under the previous two managers due to them both being former Rangers managers. Burley on the other hand looked to me as under-qualified for the job. He ran away from Hearts before we could see if he was any good and his greatest success in England was over a decade ago. His first few friendlies last season were hard to judge as Rangers players were withdrawing due to our mammoth campaign, and friendlies are a waste of time.

To pick 5 celtic players in the starting line-up barely a week since they were gubbed in the OF game was a poor call. The OF game is huge and their confidence must have been shattered (LOL). He can state that he had call-offs, but you must ask yourself why. It is already looking like Berti mark 2, with players seemingly uninterested to play for him, and I am sure most players will ask themselves why they should turn up to be coached by someone like Pressley, a player with "limited ability" if ever there was one, and no coaching experience at all, while Butchers experiences in the game since hanging up his boots are, sadly, hardly admirable.

So I leave you with this question,

When was the last time a Scotland team won an WC/EURO qualifier with more celtic players than Rangers players in it?

Answers on a postcard to Iceland before tomorrow night.

I couldn't disagree more. Rangers are a proud SCOTTISH club and anyone who does not back their country is a traitor IMO. I hate McGeady for turning his back on his country, not because he plays for THEM. In fact, I couldn't care less if they ALL came from Parkhead, I'd still be cheering if they help Scotland to any victory. Some of you guys should be living in England and see what we have to put up with every time there's a competition England are in - all the silly flags on cars etc. They don't care if players come from Arsenal or Man U or whatever and neither should we. In the current situation, injury deprived us of Rangers players - it's totally irrelevant that the OF match resulted in some international players being on the losing side. Some people of my nation need to grow up. And btw 'Flower of Scotland' makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!

I couldn't disagree more. Rangers are a proud SCOTTISH club and anyone who does not back their country is a traitor IMO. I hate McGeady for turning his back on his country, not because he plays for THEM. In fact, I couldn't care less if they ALL came from Parkhead, I'd still be cheering if they help Scotland to any victory. Some of you guys should be living in England and see what we have to put up with every time there's a competition England are in - all the silly flags on cars etc. They don't care if players come from Arsenal or Man U or whatever and neither should we. In the current situation, injury deprived us of Rangers players - it's totally irrelevant that the OF match resulted in some international players being on the losing side. Some people of my nation need to grow up. And btw 'Flower of Scotland' makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!

I applaud and wholeheartedly agree.:cheers:

Here fucking here.

Although I'd be gutted if a winning Scotland team was made up solely of beggars.:D

I also agree we should all give Scotland and any Scottish players our support.

I do agree with Tannoch though in that i do wish Internationals were only during the week as i hate a weekend without Rangers playing.

Tannoch, you should not be too hard on Celtic players as you never know one day they could play for Rangers;)