National team's lack of bears

Tannochside - I remember Souness being in contention, but many were against him because of his abrasive style. He would have fallen out with too many players. Can you imagine him upsetting say Faddy and McGregor? I actually think Levein would be a good choice but at the time he was keen to show loyalty to dundee U. the same as McGhee wouldn't walk out on M'well.

Perhaps his abrasive style would have got the best out of prima-donnas like Faddy.

We will never know, I just got the feeling that they didn't want 3 ex-Rangers managers in a row and therefore chose Burley for the wrong reasons.

Levein (Ibrox match last May aside) looks like he can be a good manager but needs to get United into top 4 consistently for that. Same goes for McGhee. The both certainly know their stuff and would be respected.

its the reason why the whole world abandoned them - they're musically crippled.

to me someone who talks about patriotism while essentially being an ex-pat is more contradictory than one who dislike kilts and other fashion trends and musical tastes. ;)

everyone chooses the bits of their history that they see as their tradtions - some people with the Romantic revival tastes of the early 1800s sentamentalise kilts and tartan; others see the Reformation and cultural freedom; others again choose our scientific tradition or whatever.

bagpipes are whiney and horrible. kilts are occasionally tolerable but otherwise tacky (rangers tartan & weddings excluded). see you jimmy hats and all that are just embaressing. they're not the parts of scottish history and tastes everyone must be proud of i dont think.

i know its harmless fun, but you cant turn it into a symbol to judge other people's patriotism by. just my opinion. :)

Your opinion is of course an accurate one :D:thup:

Without having read the full thread (so apologies in advance) but can you tell me just why being an ex-pat means you can not be as patriotic as someone who lives in the uk ?

Define patriotic for me - patriotic to who ? UK or Scotland or both ?

I resent that you can assume that by being ex-pats we are less patriotic (if that is what is being suggested - again, on blackberry and haven't read the full thread).

I am staunchly Scottish and British, always have been but does that mean that I have to suffer shitty weather, high taxes, ineffective government, poor public services ?

Does it make me less patriotic because I choose to live abroad ?

Living abroad does not necessarily mean that people have a distaste for their country, there are a multitude of reasons that people leave the UK and it doesn't have to mean that they are not patriotic.

I look forward to your enlightenment because, for the life of me, I just don't see the connection.

Without having read the full thread (so apologies in advance) but can you tell me just why being an ex-pat means you can not be as patriotic as someone who lives in the uk ?

I resent that you can assume that by being ex-pats we are less patriotic (if that is what is being suggested - again, on blackberry and haven't read the full thread).

I am staunchly Scottish and British, always have been but does that mean that I have to suffer shitty weather, high taxes, ineffective government, poor public services ?

Living abroad does not necessarily mean that people have a distaste for their country, there are a multitude of reasons that people leave the UK and it doesn't have to mean that they are not patriotic.

I look forward to your enlightenment because, for the life of me, I just don't see the connection.

C'mon we only had an average of 167mm of rain last month ffs :devil:

Very interesting point of view Craig.

I suppose patriotism means different things to different people. What is your definition? The dictionary would suggest it is a love of and loyalty to a country.

I can see how you can fondly remember mostly the good things about your country if you leave it behind, and promote them to new friends and colleagues in the country you choose to reside in. But that is not patriotism any more than sticking up for a particular bank, or brand of trainers, or football club.

I dont see how it can be patriotic to leave your country behind because of tax and bad weather. I would go so far as to say that if you choose to leave the country to pursue your own interests, you cannot claim to be patriotic to that country as you have chosen to leave it behind.

What is it about Scotland that you are patriotic about?

Not having a go at your personal choices to go and live in Bermuda instead of Barmulloch, but surely you cannot have it all ways?

I've got to say that it really pisses me off that Sean Connery is constantly giving his opinion on how Scotland should be run although he doesn't live here. :ffs:

Don't know if that's relevant, but I feel better now I've got it off my chest. ;)

I've got to say that it really pisses me off that Sean Connery is constantly giving his opinion on how Scotland should be run although he doesn't live here. :ffs:

Don't know if that's relevant, but I feel better now I've got it off my chest. ;)

That grates on me as well. Billy Connolly as much as I love him, is also guilty of this

Agree with the above two posts, they are very much in the public eye though and will recieve a much wider audience than 'ex-pats' bigging up Scotland to their friends.

I have to agree also though with Gribz and Craig, if I had the chance to move abroad, better living conditions, certainly more money, I would without any hesitation. Does that make me less patriotic too?

My drawback is that my kids are here and I couldn't do that to them, not that im likely to get the opportunity anyway lol

Just cos these guys live abroad, I dont think for one second they aren't passsionate about Scotland. Ive spoken to both on a personal level many times and its clear they love this place.......

Sorry, not a rant, but a bit long winded :S

I will jump on the bandwagon as well. I was born in Scotland. i lived in Scotland for the first 22 years of my life. I now live longer in Holland than i did in Scotland but i am Scottish and never will be anything else. I could get Dutch nationality any time i want, but the fact is i will never want. I am a Scot living in Holland and no borders will change that.

Sorry mate but leaving home makes you more patriotic.