National team's lack of bears

I was in full agreement with you right up until the last sentence, then you go and spoil it. ;)

I said I don't mind them, not the same as liking them ;)

But TBO they don't really bother me one way or another. I wore a Rangers tartan kilt at my wedding that's about it I must admit, and there was no bagpipes there :D

I said I don't mind them, not the same as liking them ;)

But TBO they don't really bother me one way or another. I wore a Rangers tartan kilt at my wedding that's about it I must admit, and there was no bagpipes there :D

i too have dawned the rangers tartan - it's the only redeemable one. :)

I dont see what is wrong with promoting the flags of your country, and it was really pleasing to see all the saltires hanging out the cars in the build up to the Italy game. Shame they all disappeared shortly afterwards. I am glad you like FOS, musical taste is a very personal thing, it is just not my taste and I cannot listen to it. If I am watching a Scotland game I turn off the sound for FOS being masqueraded as our National anthem. That is my choice.

I'm not against the saltires, lions rampants etc. - I was referring to the St. George's flags and the overkill when England are in a competition finals. I just don't think we should be small-minded enough to allow our club affiliations to affect our wish for the national team to do well. I'd like to know, for example, who should be playing instead of McManus, assuming Weir and Webster are not available. Hand on heart, I couldn't say I would rather Weir took McManus' place; the guy may play for THEM but he wins a lot of last-ditch tackles and headers.

For someone who does not even live in the country they profess to love so much, I think you will understand if I refrain from taking Patriotism lessons from you. :P Perhaps if you chose to live here, living the rivalry, putting up with our demonisation at every turn, listening to how great they are from their mhedia friends, then you would understand my point a little more.

This comment is as ridiculous as your first post. Where i stay has buggar all to do with patriotism - Thats like saying all Rangers fans should stay in Glasgow...but then there is more than 1 team in Glasgow...so maybe all Gers fans have to stay in Govan. But if i have to move to the other side of the world to escape a caveman victorian mentality just to live in modern times then so be it.

Maybe you should switch radio stations or tv channels that actually go beyond the pettyness of the media or better still - rise above it!!!

I thought it was clear that the wry smile at FT was due to there being 5 OF losers in the team and my long-held belief that if there are more of them than us in a national team, we under-perform. No answer forthcoming to the question posed?

That makes no difference. Those players were representing your country and were probably the best available. Id rather have 5 celtic players in the team than options from East Fife, Dunfermline or St Mirren. You cant have a situation in the international side where the 6 other players win but the 5 celtic players lose

I stick by the fact that I am proudly Scottish. I am Scottish, both my parents are Scottish, and all 4 grandparents are Scottish. My wife is also 100% Scottish and my son is Scottish. I am proud of our heritage, the great inventors we have given the world, our part in the shaping of the world. Around the world people have great respect for the Scots when you meet them and this also makes you proud for your country. The small matter of the international football team does not really have any bearing on being proud of your country.

Some people around the world would be utterly baffled as to a supposed scotsman smiling on there national team getting beat, disliking certain aspects of the country like kilt, FOS, bagpipes.

I agree you dont have to support the national football team to be proud of your country - to like football is a personal choice...but your obviously a football fan and to say you had a smile at a defeat plus admit to jumping up and down in annoyance when you see a celtic play in a scotland shirt shows you are almost anti Scotland football team and have your own issues.

What I personally dislike is the National dress (the skirt) the bagpipes which are an embarressment to music, and the fact we have promoted a second rate folk song to our national anthem because of an anti-english agenda to bin GSTQ because England sing it (rightfully) as their National Anthem.

Just as i said earlier. People will find it baffling. You dont have to like it but to say bagpipes are an embarressment to music is just a silly comment. Some people are proud to learn this instrument. Im not a fan of playing the guitar but i dont say its embarressing as guitars play a big part in music and are the reaosn behind some great musicians. Sounds like you have enough bad wind to play your own set of bagpipes. :P . I personally wouldnt go out and learn the bagpipes but i dont find it near embarressing.

I am fully behind your idea of cramming all the internationals into a winter break. Take a month off for the players to recharge, get their clean-up operations etc and get ready for the second half of the season, while those unfortunate enough to be selected for their country get to go off and play 8-10 games in a month all at once. It would perhaps refocus supporters like me into going back to being interested in international football again, as all the focus is on the internationals for a month at a time. Unfortunately I dont see it ever happening but I do like the idea.

I agree on this. The internationals should have like 2 mini seasons in the year - probably in January then at the end of the season - just before the WC / EC are played. It would get people interested in it a bit more along with giving the national managers longer with there squads. During the season a few friendlies and get togethers could still be arranged but competitive games should be played together.

I dont particularly require a National manager to be ex-Rangers, but they must be qualified to do the job. Burley has never had a big job to see if he is any good. Yes he did well for ONE season with Ipswich, but that was over 10 years ago. If that really is the peak of his management career, then he is most definately not the best man for the job. A Scotland manager should have managed at a big club or have international management experience. He falls short on both

I see what your saying here. But the top qualified men in football (who i class a grade A scottish managers) arent / wouldnt take it. This list probably includes Sir Awex and David Moyes but they arent going to leave there huge jobs for a part time job.

In Burley i think we went for potential more than experience and sometimes in a career you have to give someone a chance rather than going with those who already 'have the tshirt' - or nobody in life would ever step up to the mark.

You dont have to like it but to say bagpipes are an embarressment to music is just a silly comment.

its the reason why the whole world abandoned them - they're musically crippled.

to me someone who talks about patriotism while essentially being an ex-pat is more contradictory than one who dislike kilts and other fashion trends and musical tastes. ;)

everyone chooses the bits of their history that they see as their tradtions - some people with the Romantic revival tastes of the early 1800s sentamentalise kilts and tartan; others see the Reformation and cultural freedom; others again choose our scientific tradition or whatever.

bagpipes are whiney and horrible. kilts are occasionally tolerable but otherwise tacky (rangers tartan & weddings excluded). see you jimmy hats and all that are just embaressing. they're not the parts of scottish history and tastes everyone must be proud of i dont think.

i know its harmless fun, but you cant turn it into a symbol to judge other people's patriotism by. just my opinion. :)

Gribz,

You are taking this far too seriously.

I wrote a fairly light-hearted rant about why I dont like celtic players in the scotland team, and I find it hard supporting them.

Just because I am scottish doesnt mean that I have to love everything Scottish. How ridiculous is that. That is as bad as a communist state. I am allowed freedom of thought and speech. The bagpipes are a truly awful sounding dirge, as is FOS that only got promoted to unofficial national anthem on political grounds by anti-english sentiment. Kilts as well. Man-skirts look stupid IMO and I am allowed to think it and say it.

I have readily admitted it is shallow-minded to not be able to rise above my petty club differences and support Mcthug and co when they wear the Scotland shirt. Although the way that particular idiot shamed the shirt and the armband last night, he surely should not have too many more caps coming his way anyway as he has proven yet again to be out of his depth at that level. I wont hold my breath on that one as I am sure his friends in the mhedia have already swept it away as unlucky or such like.

As for Burley, I was reminded last night that Souness was actually interviewed for the job when Burley got it, and it makes it all the more ridiculous that Burley got it ahead of someone with vast, successful managerial and European experience. Baffling indeed.

I seen bits of the match last night and I was delighted for Broadfoot to get the goal and I was also delighted that McFadden beat Robson to the ball for the second goal, despite the scumbag trying to claim it. I see he is learning fast at the piggery. I laughed and was astonished at the sheer stupidity of McManus getting himself sent off and was not in the elast surprised that he chased the ref around the park in an intimidatory attempt to get him to change his mind and pleading that he was pushed. Embarressing. And to think Burley picked him not only for the team but as captain of the National side. Can there ever have been a Scottish international captain with less footballing ability?

What I am really saying is you dont have to love everything Scottish to be proud to be Scottish. But I do love living here and working here and I would never dream of moving away. That says a lot more than laughing at a bad football result.