Do the Hokey Cokey

Well I will be singing the hokey cokey on Saturday with a huge smile on my face, and if I get lifted I will fight it all the way..............................does anyone know a good lawyer ?

Donald Findlay's local is a bar 10 mins from me :thup:

Are police actually allowed to arrest people at the behest of politicians and church leaders? I would have thought that they are supposed to be independent of such pressures...

They are suppose to implement the LAW and not the mere opinions of politicians and priests. They do sound like they are becoming unconstitutional puppets.

Or make that muppets.

Huge point! And an important one. Just shows the Big brother state if people can be arrested on opinions. And these opinions are 1 way. We do have to remember some policemen wont agree with this but will have to do it as the orders are coming from above them.

We are offended by pro IRA chants - why cant they be arrested?!

IRA chants v Hokey Cokey - you couldnt make it up!

By ALAN CARSON

Published: 22 Dec 2008

rigTeaserImage

RANGERS fans were effectively banned from singing the Hokey Cokey last night — as football’s bigotry row took a crazy new twist.

Incredibly, church leaders and politicians are urging cops to nab anyone caught chanting the kids’ party anthem at Saturday’s Old Firm game.

Barmy ... 'sectarian' dance

Barmy ... 'sectarian' dance

They fear sectarian thugs will use the dancefloor classic to ridicule visiting Celtic fans at Ibrox.

But last night baffled Gers supporters’ spokesman Stephen Smith said: “This is absolutely insane.”

The row came after Bluenoses flooded internet chat sites urging pals to chant the song, which experts claim was composed 300 years ago to mock the Latin Mass.

Last night Nats MSP Michael Matheson said: “It’s important the police and football clubs are aware of the sinister background to this song, and take the appropriate action against individuals who use it to taunt Catholics.”

It is believed the 18th century ditty was originally meant as a dig at the actions of priests during the Eucharist. The Catholic Church says the title comes from the phrase “hocus pocus”.

Ridiculous

And spokesman Peter Kearney said: “If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning (of this song) then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use.”

Gers fans swamped internet chat rooms in a bid to adopt it as a terrace chant.

One insisted: “We must sing the Hokey Cokey — must!”

Another said: “Altogether now ... Ohh Ohh the Hokey Cokey.”

But other supporters were gobsmacked the song had been ruled offensive.

One blasted: “We sang the Hokey Cokey at my son’s nursery Christmas party. Should me, my wife and four-year-old turn ourselves in?”

'No agenda' ... Fraser

'No agenda' ... Fraser

3\PA:Press Association

Church bosses believe anyone nabbed singing it could fall foul of laws against incitement to religious hatred.

But Murdo Fraser, deputy leader of the Scottish Tories, said: “I can’t believe children performing the Hokey Cokey are doing so in pursuit of any sort of anti-Catholic agenda.”

Fellow Conservative Bill Aitken added: “There is a degree of over-sensitivity about these things at present. It is time we all moved on.”

Gers fans were recently warned they faced arrest if caught singing the controversial Famine Song. Last night the Rangers Supporters Trust admitted they were stunned by any possible ban on the Hokey Cokey.

Spokesman Stephen Smith said: “It’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.”

Strathclyde Police said: “Any singing, chanting or other behaviour perceived as being racist or sectarian in nature and we will take positive action.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2060575.ece

MSP invovled currently on Real Radio backtracking like fook over this issue - saying that it was The Sunday Times who contacted him and informed him that Rangers fans were going to sing the hokey cokey due to sectarian undertones.

Me thinks this wank has finally realised what a fud he has made himself out to be and is backtracking to save face.

EDIT - update - Now saying that the quotes attributed to him in The Sun weren't his as he NEVER spoke to anyone at The Sun - Fair play to Ewan Cameron, ripped the guy apart.

Found this on another forum - quite funnyt really

Below is comment from Richard Littlejohn in today's Daily Mail

This week's candidate for a padded cell is rent-a-quote Scottish-Nationalist MSP Michael Matheson who wants the Hokey Cokey classified as a 'hate crime'.

He says the popular party song and dance has anti-Papist roots and is therefore sectarian.

Matheson wants anyone performing it arrested. All this idiocy will achieve is that at the next Old Firm game, thousands of Rangers fans will be putting their right foot in, their right foot out, in, out, in, out and shaking it all about.

Nurse

Cammy F

Edited by CammyF

First chance I've had to read the article and this thread. Fuck me, what an absolute joke! Have these people got nothig better to do but to stir up some campaign to increase the hatred between fans? It's crazy!

It'll be interesting to see the number of people arrested at the game on Saturday for singing it.

Both sets of fans aren't doing themselves any favours when it comes to vandalising opposition players cars but it seems to me that we're letting the morons play their wee games, trying to get us to rise to the bait but we're quite happily sitting back and letting them make a total twat of themselves.

First chance I've had to read the article and this thread. Fuck me, what an absolute joke! Have these people got nothig better to do but to stir up some campaign to increase the hatred between fans? It's crazy!

It'll be interesting to see the number of people arrested at the game on Saturday for singing it.

Both sets of fans aren't doing themselves any favours when it comes to vandalising opposition players cars but it seems to me that we're letting the morons play their wee games, trying to get us to rise to the bait but we're quite happily sitting back and letting them make a total twat of themselves.

Just as a matter of interest Gav will you arrest anyone for singing it? I suppose if your boss say's so you will.