By Andrew Dickson

CHARLIE ADAM insists Rangers can still catch up with Celtic and win the league the way the Parkhead club did last season.

The Light Blues find themselves seven points behind in the title race after they lost today's Old Firm derby 1-0 at Ibrox.

Kenny Miller, RangersBut having seen the title go to Glasgow's east end after Gordon Strachan's men made up a similar gap before the summer, Adam sees no reason why Gers can't do the same thing.

He said: "It was a tough day for us. Goals win you games and on this occasion it was Celtic who managed to score.

"The first goal has a big say in what happens in these games. It has been that way over a number of years.

"We had opportunities to score and might have won if we'd gone ahead but we never did that and they made the breakthrough.

"Now we'll get on with it. We'll bounce back and we know there is still a long way to go in the championship.

"We're perfectly capable of winning anywhere and we know we've got to roll our sleeves up, work really hard and try to claw the gap back.Davie Weir

"Celtic did that last year so I don't see why we can't do the same thing again ourselves this season.

"The title is not lost and there are plenty of games left to play with lots of points up for grabs.

"There will still be twists and turns from now until May and it's just up to us to capitalise on it if Celtic make any mistakes"

Adam was a surprise starter as he came into the team for the first time in four weeks at Kyle Lafferty's expense.

Although he has been linked with a January move away from Ibrox, he's determined to stay and fight for his place.

Charlie Adam, RangersAnd having lost in the derby after he was a winner last time out, he's just as eager to ensure he tastes victory in the big game again in the future as a Gers star.

Adam added: "It has been the case a few times now that I've only played in certain matches but I train as though I'll play in every game so I was prepared to play.

"When I'm not in the first team, I'm taking part in bounce games or in the reserves so it's not a difficult situation for me.

"To come back into the team was fantastic and it showed the manager still has faith in me.

"It was great to be back in the side but you obviously you to come in and get victories so it was disappointing the way the game ended."