Ok, but surely it is wrong to prejudge any player untill they get a sustained run in their correct position.He cost a lot of money and was bought as a striker,so all I am saying is now is the time to see what he can do, no point in spending a lot of cash,that we don't have, and not give the guy a chance

Yes, admittedly you shouldn't. I'm not so much making a judgement as a prediction. I do not see lafferty as having the attributes to be a success.

If Boyd leaves, hopefully I am very, very wrong.

Gribz/Pete, we're not saying that selling Boyd is the end of Rangers or anything so dramatic.

What we are saying, is selling one of your key contirbutors halfway through the season is detrimental to your title charge. Why weaken your team when you are in the business of trying to win things. (see Alan Hutton).

It's alright though, we'll sell all our best, most effective players and put guys liek Hemdani in the team, we might not be able to defend against St Johnstone with such foreign superstars in the team, but at least we'll look pretty while we get embarrassed!

Thats the managements fault though and the buck stops with them. We judge them at the end of this season. Its a 3 stage process and come May time will be up on all 3 and if they havent delivered the title then they are out.

I get the impression a lot on here would still kind of be upset if we won the league without Boyd.

Thats the managements fault though and the buck stops with them. We judge them at the end of this season. Its a 3 stage process and come May time will be up on all 3 and if they havent delivered the title then they are out.

I get the impression a lot on here would still kind of be upset if we won the league without Boyd.

I hope by "management" you are also including SDM and Bain and not just WS, AM and KM ??

It looks to me as if WS has been told that one player of 3m value or more MUST go. That isn't the team management's fault but that of the Chairman and CEO.

And by the way, any other CEO that takes a company this close to the brink, would not only not be getting nice fat bonuses but would also have their head on the chopping block.

I hope by "management" you are also including SDM and Bain and not just WS, AM and KM ??

It looks to me as if WS has been told that one player of 3m value or more MUST go. That isn't the team management's fault but that of the Chairman and CEO.

And by the way, any other CEO that takes a company this close to the brink, would not only not be getting nice fat bonuses but would also have their head on the chopping block.

Well MB should have went long ago. I dont know why SDM calls some fans mice when he employs a yes man to work for him. I dont know about anyone else but i certainly wouldnt be in awe of Murray if i met him and id tell him this in a nice way.

And that's the problem we face.

1. We have a chairman who wants to sell.

2. No-one wants to buy.

3. The club makes a loss unless European football (specifically CL Group Stage qualification) is attained.

4. The club is current run badly/inefficiently and the owner seems unable or unwilling to accommodate new ideas/staff to address this.

Vicious circle of the worst, worst kind. A whirlpool that we're all drowning in.

This about somes up the current situation, with point 4 the main one for me.

The way I see it, Peter Lawell over at Celtic and Martin Bain at Rangers hold the same positions, so would assume both have similar remits.

Now while Lawell seems to have turned Celtic around financially, Bain has along with Murray dragged Rangers into the mire. Lawell has made Celtic a 'global' brand, helped by successful pre season tours and the signing of Nakamura who has done it for them off the pitch as well as on it.

Why can't we do similar? Don't want to compare the Japanese market to the US one, but we have one of their top international players in DeMarcus Beasley. We have one of their star up and coming players in Edu. Why aren't we making more of these players to tap into the American market??

Instead neither gets played, neither gets utilised in a marketing capacity and we waste yet another great opportunity to promote our 'brand'.

Transfer wise we are also a disaster. We pay over inflated fees, over inflated wages and then release players on frees or pay off their contracts so meaning that our transfer income is always a defecit, even though it looks like we're making money from deals.

I mean look at the Boyd deal, sure we might get �£4million for him. But Kilmarnock are due 20% of that, so that's �£800,000 away already. And I would assume that we would still owe the majority of the fee for Lafferty. So basically the sale of Boyd pays for the purchase of Lafferty. Doesn't really make sense now does it.

Add in Velicka, �£1 million, hardly played and will probably leave on loan or a free. McCulloch, �£2.5 million, available on a free. Darchville, came on a free, left on a free but made so much in wages in his 18 months at Rangers that he could take a substational pay cut.

The only players we are liable to get rid off are the only ones vaguely worth keeping, the likes of Mendes, Davis, Ferguson, Bougerra, McGregor, Boyd etc. Smith has brought so much dross to the club we are stuck with a whole lot of dead wood.

And my biggest fear is that if we do sell the likes of the players I mentioned above, who do we replace them with? Run of the mill SPL players so turning us into a run of the mill SPL team?

Get set for a bumpy ride fellow bears...this wasn't the start to 2009 I envisaged :(

Birmingham City have told BBC Sport that Rangers have accepted an increased offer for striker Kris Boyd.

The 25-year-old's agent, Mark Donaghy, is travelling to St Andrews to discuss terms and the player is expected to follow later on Wednesday evening.

However, Rangers, who rejected an offer of around �£3m for Boyd on Tuesday, say negotiations are ongoing.

Boyd, the Scottish Premier League's top scorer, trained as normal on Wednesday morning with the Ibrox squad.

On Tuesday, the English Championship outfit insisted that a fee for Boyd had been agreed, only for Rangers to refute those claims.

A source at St Andrews told BBC Sport that they expect Boyd to discuss a five-year contract.

"I'd be 75% certain that Kris Boyd will be a Birmingham player by the end of the week," added the source.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to this story

Boyd, who was signed for Rangers by Blues boss Alex McLeish, is the top scorer in the Scottish Premier League with 18 goals.

The Championship side are keen to bolster their forward line, with Garry O'Connor sidelined by injury and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie's loan period ending.

Cardiff City failed with a �£2.5m bid for Boyd in the summer but the player recently revealed that he had considered leaving Ibrox.

He was frustrated at being overlooked for key matches last term but his form this season has been impressive.

Rangers manager Walter Smith has made no secret of the need to prune his squad but news of a possible sale is sure to surprise supporters of the club.

Boyd has scored 91 goals since moving to Ibrox in January 2006 despite struggling to become a regular starter under McLeish's successors Paul Le Guen and Smith.

During this campaign he has formed a productive partnership with Kenny Miller, and Smith has made the former Scotland team-mates his automatic first-choice pairing.

BBC Scotland football correspondent Chick Young said Kilmarnock would be due 20% of any future Boyd transfer fee.

"If Birmingham knocked the fee up to �£4m then that would be �£800,000 due to Kilmarnock.," he told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"That would be a great windfall for a club that has been financially struggling."

Rangers have already sold Daniel Cousin and Jean-Claude Darcheville this season, while summer signings Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty have failed to make an impact.

In October, Boyd, who has scored seven goals in 15 internationals appearances, said he would not play for Scotland again under manager George Burley.

The striker was upset after not being included for the World Cup qualifier with Norway, which ended in a 0-0 draw at Hampden.

This would be pretty close to being a last straw for many fans, dependent on fee. The one thing we can say with certainty is that if Boyd is sold our chances of league success are almost gone - whether you like him as a player or not, we have NO-ONE who would consistently bang in the goals to ensure wins in the SPL.

And that's it in a nutshell. No one else at the club can come up with 20 goals - it's not even as if they were spread around; who's next top? KM with 7? The like for like replacement is Velicka and he will not get more than 10 I think. The only good thing to come out of this that is we have apparently been assured Bougherra and Mendes are safe but IMO we'd miss Boyd more. All 3 are just about irreplaceable for the cash we'd have available.