If walter walked the plank...

Spot on.

Unsurprising that some of the more outspoken doom-merchants on here have such laughable ideas as to what should be happening. Having said that I don't doubt for a second that under the stewardship of Gough we would now be bearing witness to the free flowing, devastating football we all crave! At least we would have beaten Zenit!!:confused:

Edited by Cotter

Wouldnt want Gough or JJ. I think Levein will be a Premiership manager one day and could be what we are looking for. He is very sound tactically and we wouldnt have to break the bank to get him.

None of this is going to happen though, Smith has a job for as long as he wants and i think he knows it.

Gough was a failure at Livingston, but I wouldn't mind him being brought in as part of the set-up.

Leven is the outstanding SPL manager at the moment, so if we were to go down that route, he is the obvious candidate.

Others worth mentioning? Tony Mowbry, Ray Wilkins, Andy Gray (although he turned down Everton as he makes more money with SKY with none of the stress involved), The Laudrups, David Moyes....

Given our current and ongoing financial problems, we aren't likely to attract a 'top name'. We will only attract an 'up and coming promising' manager, an ex-player who knows what Rangers mean or a manager who has been out of the game for a while who would see the challange of managing Rangers and succeeding as a stepping stone to a job in the EPL.

Cammy F

I thought Gough did ok at Livingstone in that he kept up a club that was ripe for the drop...

Levein does have the best SPL record right now.

Would fans accept Mowbray?

Wilkins has only been an assistant and not a highly successful one either.

Andy Gray wouldn't come and has no experience.

David Moyes wouldn't come while Everton are bringing in vastly superior amounts of cash and doing well in what is considered a more glamorous league.

I agree with your sum up.

Would love to see Gough and Wilkins in the set up. Wilkins could possibly be the Manager but he has always done better as a No.2 or a coach. He is Mr Gentleman though!

The Laudrups would be brilliant and are probably a good realistic shout. Brian has the club at heart and is another who should be recruited in some role, Im sure he could sway his brother to taking the main role with him as No.2

Our hope for Moyes is if he fancies a crack at the Champions League. He isnt likely to get that with Everton and its yet to be seen if he take over from Sir Alex at Man Utd. I cant see him crossing the city to Liverpool (but it wouldnt surprise me), and i dont think Chelsea or Arsenal would approach him. So he may look at Ibrox to have a go on the European stage.

Cannot believe Levein, Jeffreys and McInnes are even being touted here....

Gough was a great player, but he needs to go out and blood himself. Wilkins is defo a great No 2. But would he be able to step up?

Laudrups - again no real experience and with the Continental Managers ethic would they actually be able to handle some players - Like MacShagger.

Moyes, maybe, but would he come to Ibrox? He has money and stability at the Toffee's.

FFS guys, stop and think about it. Who do you really believe could be persuaded to manage Rangers? Laudrup, Moyes, Mowbray? Get a grip, there isn't a cat's chance in hell of any of them touching the Rangers job with a barge pole. Does anyone actually believe someone would leave an EPL club to manage Rangers? Hasn't it sunk in yet - we can't afford them and we certainly couldn't afford to fund their ambitions. I doubt if even Craig Levein would accept the job since there is almost no way he could deliver the expectations of people like us. he has less money at Dundee Utd but a lot more chance of being a success, on the way to an EPL or Championship club.

Jim Jeffries was only mentioned to suggest how low we have sunk in the pecking order. If the idea of him managing Rangers doesn't appeal then that tells you all you need to know about the current status of our club.

Tony Mowbry hasn't a dime to spend at West Brom - they have NO sponser after T-Mobile decided to withdraw from their deal. The West Brom Chairman has gone public with the news that the club are struggling financially and has appealled to local businesses to invest in the club. Any future transfers are going to be loan deals. WBA's future in the EPL is far from certain (I hope it is secured, being a 'fan' of WBA).

As said by others, Moyes will eventually look to have a crack at the CL. It was muted last night that his Everton squad that faced Liverpool was assembled for �£25M - I don't know how true this is, but if true, it's less that WS has spent here.

The Laudrups would be looking to manage a club that would enhance their CV's. Currently we are a club who could enhance a CV. Imagine if they took over, won the SPL 3 years on the trot and qualified from the CL group stages. This achievement hasn't done GS's image any harm - he is constantly linked the EPL jobs now......

Whilst its important to remember what a state we are currently in, it is also important to remember that we are Rangers - we play in a two horse league, and as WS showed last season (And AM before him), we can make it to the later stages of Europe

Cammy F