Scotland V Macedonia

Going to both matches, canna wait, been to the Norway and Iceland home games already this year and was in Holland for the Dutch game even though we couldn't get tickets, hope we beat Macedonia but can't see us beating the Dutch !

Preview of the Scotland game(s). Posted in here as I didn't want to steal Fraser's thunder. :thup:

It’s that time of year again. With the new season just 3 games old Rangers have carried on where we left off. Top of the pile in the SPL. However, our early season momentum has already been disrupted with that aggravating part of the fixture calendar; international week.

George Burley leads Scotland into a must win fixtures with Macedonia and already qualified group leaders Holland. An unlikely maximum 6 points would give the country a fighting chance of making the play-offs for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

The recently closed transfer window was dominated largely by one man and his unrelenting goal haul. There were many frayed nerves and chewed finger nails as the clock ticked down on this year’s summer transfer window. With offers coming in from the Bundesliga and Turkey, would a cash-strapped Rangers be able to turn down the offers. Whatever the truths of the reported offers, Boyd remained a Ranger. With leading forwards such as Kevin Kyle withdrawing from international duty how George Burley will be wishing he had the Rangers forward to spearhead his attack.

Some of you may remember a recent article in which I outlined how Rangers have been carrying the domestic game on the European stage. Despite the repeated insults of Rangers from small minded fans, the SFA and the manager, it is again Rangers to whom Scotland will turn to carry us through some treacherous games and hopefully to the play offs. Is it fair to expect players to attempt to rescue us and shoulder the blame for potential failure at this late hour?

Davie Weir had to watch on in ignominy as the Caldwell brothers double act floundered in Oslo. Only with footballs Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum partnership unavailable is the veteran defender deemed good enough to make the squad. Men of less class, of less dignity, of less moral fibre befitting a Rangers captain, may have told Burley to stick it. Burley cited Weir’s age and a need to build for the future for his absence. Yet again with this manager we are left questioning the hypocrisy and logic of his decisions given the caps he has handed to Graham Alexander?

Kenny Miller will fulfil his now customary role for Scotland and Rangers. Against Macedonia at least he may be partnered in his endeavours upfront by Steven Fletcher of James McFadden. Naismith’s promising early season form gives him an outside chance of a starting berth.

Steven Whittaker is included in the squad but perhaps has a better chance of playing in the less familiar left back role with one of Scotland’s few genuine star performers in Alan Hutton likely to resume at right back. One hopes Burley will not try and finish the game with a team full of right-backs as he so nearly managed against Norway.

The final Rangers representative in the squad; Neil Alexander, will likely have to make do with being back up to Craig Gordon. Worrying news was announced Thursday that Jamie Langfield was called up as cover for Alexander who had sustained a knock in training. Bluenoses across the country will hope it is not to serious and Alexander will continue to be as big a threat to McGregor’s number 1 position as the current incumbent has himself been with erratic early form. Considering the decreased numbers in the squad, we will be looking for all our players to return unscathed.

The opening game loss to Macedonia set the tone for Burley’s first campaign as Scotland manager. Bewildering decisions, tactics and selections allied to poor man management skills and poor media relations have led to Burley undoing most of the excellent work achieved by Walter Smith and Alex McLeish. Reversing that result will however leave Scotland on the brink of a potential play-off spot and qualification for South Africa 2010. With only 8 of the 9 runners-up from the European groups achieving a play off place, 2 wins (including an unlikely victory over a rampant Dutch side) may not prove enough.

However, the players cannot entertain such negative thoughts. The sweltering heat in Macedonia no doubt played a part in the reverse fixture. There are no such concerns this time and no excuses for a failure to secure 3 points and put ourselves in with a fighting chance of qualification and to set up a mouth-watering crunch clash with the Oranje. Macedonia are one of several emerging nations in Europe as testified to by a goalless draw and one goal defeat against England in Euro 2008 qualifying group E.

That said, they are more than beatable and with a packed Hampden and dreams of South Africa 2010 I expect Burley to achieve a hard fought victory. After which, we look to Holland!

If we do not qualify from this group then Heads must roll

i was delighted when this group was announced, but the SFA and Mr Bean have managed to make a right tit of it all.

WTF is George Peat blaming the whole qualifying campaign on Wulluwomo's sitter we have dropped a lot more points before and since so the blame cant be laid there.

I too have 0 confidence in the Scotland Management team of Burley,Butcher,Pressley and would love to see them removed today if it was possible,but as a Glasgow born and Bred i want to see SCOTLAND qualify for the World Cup so i will support the 11 on the park but not the management.

Its a catch 22

Lose = Burley gets sacked (maybe)

Win = Possible qualifaction with Blumbering Burley leading this proud nation into a world cup.

If we beat Macadonia which i think we can then its in our hands and the dream comes a bit closer, lose and its another summer of watching tv with some beers wondering what if!

I wish the team well but i am glad the Caldwell sisters are missing

but will wait and see what Burley has up his sleeve with the team selection be prepared ;)

I wont be going to the game as couldnt get ticket but managed to get one for the Holland game no problem ??

I want to see Saltiers in South Africa next Summer - Come On Scotland :cheers:

If we do not qualify from this group then Heads must roll

i was delighted when this group was announced, but the SFA and Mr Bean have managed to make a right tit of it all.

WTF is George Peat blaming the whole qualifying campaign on Wulluwomo's sitter we have dropped a lot more points before and since so the blame cant be laid there.

I too have 0 confidence in the Scotland Management team of Burley,Butcher,Pressley and would love to see them removed today if it was possible,but as a Glasgow born and Bred i want to see SCOTLAND qualify for the World Cup so i will support the 11 on the park but not the management.

Its a catch 22

Lose = Burley gets sacked (maybe)

Win = Possible qualifaction with Blumbering Burley leading this proud nation into a world cup.

If we beat Macadonia which i think we can then its in our hands and the dream comes a bit closer, lose and its another summer of watching tv with some beers wondering what if!

I wish the team well but i am glad the Caldwell sisters are missing

but will wait and see what Burley has up his sleeve with the team selection be prepared ;)

I wont be going to the game as couldnt get ticket but managed to get one for the Holland game no problem ??

I want to see Saltiers in South Africa next Summer - Come On Scotland :cheers:

Quote of the day there mate !! Gave me a massive smile !!

About not getting a Macedonia ticket but getting a Holland one, need to remember tomorrows game on a Saturday so more people will be able to make it

According to STV News, there's still tickets available for tomorrows game.

Anyway, the team for tomorrow is:

Gordon

Hutton

Davidson

Weir

McManus

Brown

Alexander

D. Fletcher

McFadden

Miller

S. Fletcher

Can't believe he's percevering with that diddy Alexander.

According to STV News, there's still tickets available for tomorrows game.

Anyway, the team for tomorrow is:

Gordon

Hutton

Davidson

Weir

McManus

Brown

Alexander

D. Fletcher

McFadden

Miller

S. Fletcher

Can't believe he's percevering with that diddy Alexander.

The diddy in that team is Davidson !! Alexander will do good, just sit in front of the defenders and let Brown and Fletcher attack attack attack !!

Can't wait for the game now, cracking 3 strikers !!

Alexander is a defender though Fraser, a RIGHT BACK, not a holding central midfielder.

Burley is a muppet.

Bring in Hartley and let him play that role as he is accustomed to it. Or just play a flat 4-4-2 with Commons on one side and McFadden on the other.

Alexander is a defender though Fraser, a RIGHT BACK, not a holding central midfielder.

Burley is a muppet.

Bring in Hartley and let him play that role as he is accustomed to it. Or just play a flat 4-4-2 with Commons on one side and McFadden on the other.

Does Alexander not play for Burley in midfield ??