'Setting The Standard' Project Moves Forward

what do you mean Norris? what are you suggesting we, the support, do?

Replace "feni@n" and sing it with gusto.

And if it's not "feni@n" that got the song banned for sectarianism then the least UEFA can do is tell us which part of the song did.

Edited by Norris Cole

Even if "feni@n" is replaced? That's just different treatment for different clubs. Orwellian nightmare indeed.

Of course it is. Which is what Rangers should have said publicly at the time and every time we are challenged on our behaviour since.

Spiers is right that 'whataboutery' is tiresome but you can't have one rule for some and one rule for others. If that happens then society itself breaks down.

The whole thing is a sham mate - see my report of last year on it.

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=670&Itemid=2

The full document is available here:

http://ww.gersnetonline.co.uk/SIF_Sham.pdf

What has happened since then?

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=740&Itemid=2

I dare you to try and be an active citizen and get involved with that committee as I have. Not so much promotion but ignore I can assure you.

Replace "feni@n" and sing it with gusto.

And if it's not "feni@n" that got the song banned for sectarianism then the least UEFA can do is tell us which part of the song did.

Got you.

For some reason, the support has not been able to grasp this. There has been much debate on other forums about this. Some people say just let's move on, some say lets change the words, some say they'll never change the words. So the net result is .... well... nothing.

That is until people feel pissed off, or we haven't gotten into trouble for a while so some people think it's OK to sing TBB again with the F word.

The club could bring it back and encourage people to sing (for example "celtic blood"), but how the hell are they going to put that message on the big screens? Also, as Frankie says, a lot of people would just sing what they liked anyway, including the F word. i've no idea what the balance would be or what would come across on TV.

In fact, if the club said anything on this, the can of worms would open up again becasue of the insistence of some people in singing the "we are Rangers, super Rangers" song .... you know the rest. Also "cheer up xyz....." ... you know the rest. Also "who's the F in the black".... you know the rest..... Even "Simply the Best" at the last OF game at Ibrox ffs - it's crazy imo.

It's a total can of worms this one, it still is.

It hurts my head and it hurts my heart.

p.s. and that's without even touching on ra sellik's songbook

"any form of ââ?¬Ë?Billy Boysââ?¬â?¢ songs is strictly prohibited." comes from the alleged directive given to Rangers and Rangers only.

As such, any version of the song (changed words or not) sung by our support appears to be banned.

FWIW, I doubt UEFA would care less if we sang it again. However, they'd be pressurised by the usual hypocrites once again.

If that is the case then Killie fans, Dundee fans, Hearts fans etc have a case to answer too.

Because it any variation is deemed sectarian then surely they are talking about the tune rather than the lyrics ? That being the case no-one should be using thre tune at all.

And that seems ludicrous to me.

The hypocritical nature of Spiers knows no bounds.

He accuses us of "whataboutery" which is the very thing he gets paid for. Reptile !

"Whataboutery" is nothing but a sinister vernacular tool used by Spiers to ignore the bigots at Parkhead and gloss over his own double standards.

The fact is, there is a UEFA ban. And it's very specific - it's the Billy Boys in any form.

That's just it though. I see the inference but I do not see the fact. It is most definitely not specific, unless someone can show me where. Nothing posted here or elsewhere makes the specific connection between the UEFA sanction and The Billy Boys song. UEFA says "sectarian". The club says we know not what. Those attending the meeting with the club say that the club specified TBB. But where is the direct, categoric statement that UEFA ever specifically banned or even referred to TBB song?

As far as I can see, it was the club alone that made the connection between UEFA's "sectarian" and this one particular song ........ and then alluded to a specific UEFA directive on TBB that was never actually made. The allusion became reality when those attending the meeting returned to report the club's directive as back-to-back with that of UEFA.

Now the club may well have thought the connection was entirely valid and justifiable and I'm not saying they weren't entitled to do so. But it remains a fact, in my eyes at least, that UEFA did NOT ban TBB song as has been widely assumed and reported.

The fact that the club chose the hide behind UEFA and pass the buck for banning the song really irritates me and seems typical of how the club has chosen to communicate with the fans for many years.

Seems to me that the song could have been banned in any form due to the "implied" nature of the so-called "sectarian" content of the original song.

However, I think many Rangers fans are highly culpable here - either of true bigotry or just being a hell of a lot less clever than the MOPES.

I've being saying for years before the ban that with the sensitivity of the subject we should change such lyrics to Rangers/Ibrox boys and F****n to Celtic to avoid any scrutiny or twisted offence. Why couldn't we do it?

Why can't we completely drop any mention of the Pope or Catholicism in any form - especially the "No Pope of Rome" song which is impossible to defend and is still heard being sung very loudly at Rangers games.

We could substitute a load of songs lyrics with Celtic/scummy/Mopes etc and be immune to the sectarian accusations.

The fact is, either we're just guilty as charged or just not clever enough.

In the end, too many people think they have the right to do what they like without realising what a stupid, hypocritical and ironic premise that is.

Whether it's a club ban or UEFA ban on TBB is irrelevant. If we sing any version of the song we'll get in trouble with UEFA again because TBB was singled out in relation to the UEFA verdict. I wish the club could have stood up to them more but to be fair they didn't have much of a leg to stand on.

We as fans could be doing more however. For one we could ask for clarification from UEFA. Secondly, we should challenge the courts by singing the song as much as possible in public (while at least trying not to cause a breach of the peace) outwith match days.