Walter's starting formation of 5-4-1 was a joke and he has to take a lot of criticism for that.

I heard it described as 3-4-3, but that was obviously by people who weren't watching the game. Boyd was isolated upfront, and the usual full backs were playing as, well, full backs.

Once we went one down he changed it back to the traditional 4-4-2 and things got better for a while.

The way i saw it was that his tactics in the second half were not to cross the half-way line. They worked a treat.:(

Could you not realistically argue that the bottom was the end of ECk/PLG and that we're just on the upside of the nadir. It's not pretty, but it's certainly not the lowest point? At least when it comes to onfield matters (well results).

Eh? Unable to buy a player in 18 months and no prospect of doing so in the forseeable future. Club officials arguing whether the bank is running the club. Every player currently on the transfer list. �£31m in debt and growing.

And before we start getting too comfortable with the onfield situation, if Celtic had the same side they had in the Eck/PLG era, we would already be so far behind them in the SPL that no one would doubt whether we were at the bottom or not. It's only celtic dropping points that make it possible to ignore for a moment just how fukked up things really are at Rangers.

Still no idea what the formation was we played last night...

We had no left-midfield player and completely overloaded the right side of the team.

Seemed to be somthing like this to me:

:am:

:sw: :dw: :dw: :sp:

....................... :lm: :kt:

:kl: :km: :sd:

....................... :kb:

Indeed - was all a bit bizarre last night from Smith and his management team.

The problem is that I've literally no idea what manager could come in under the current high pressure circumstances at Rangers and do a better job with no money, unwilling players, an apathetic support and an absent owner. I'd argue that while our results and performances have hardly been glowing, Smith has done pretty well to achieve the relative success he has done.

Of course, that in itself is no reason not to replace him considering he seems unable to get the best out of a band bunch of players while arguably wasting millions of pounds we did have on players that simply don't seem good enough.

Hey Mr. DJ, I find you comments quite shallow and with little thought about the reality of Rangers F. C. 2009

Let me explain. Firstly, believe it or believe it not, I am not a great fan of Walter Smith's capabilities as a coach especially when playing in Europe. Mind you having said that, 2 seasons ago he got us to a European final by using the right tactics to suit the right players, as well as competing to the bitter end of another 3 competitions. Sure he has brought in some diddies but who amongst us knew they would turn out so. Every manager has bought some duds now and again.

If I remember about this time last year, many posters on here, myself included, were calling for his head. Last season we went on to be successful against all our expectations.

Tonight's performance was poor, but did you really expect anything else ? Smith is now clearly knackered but he must be respected for the work he has done over the years for us. He returned from the cushy Scotland job where he had taken our Country to our highest ever ranking in order to steady us.

Sure he is, and never, was an attack minded manager. He played to his strenghts which was to be cautious and rarely take risks. In other words, a steady manager who has suited our Club over the past few years and even more so now when "they" tell us our Club could face administration. Flamboyant he ain't.

Personally I hope Walter moves to the Board once any takeover business has been concluded and we move forward with a more exciting management team with better finances.

Fair Enough Biggordy if thats your opinion then fine we are all entitled to one and as for being Shalllow

i can tell you that isnt the case and i fully relise the plite the club are in on and off the park but even so that doesnt justify the rapid decline of our peformances in Europe and in my opinion it falls at Walters feet he is the manager and picks the players and the formations he spent the money to bring in these players and cant get the best out of them i will give him credit for at least having the guts to try and go for it last night but from the off we were dire and probably should have lost by more if it wasnt for McGregor in goals.

We really do lack the basics in football it shows all over the team, Whittaker has never stopped a cross in his life

we cant pass, we cant shoot , we have no natural leader on the pitch, Miller has a worse first touch than a baby giraffe and Lee McCulloch should be no where near the reserves never mind 1st on the team sheet every week

Personally i respect Walter but that doesnt mean i have to like what he does he should have stepped down after Tannadice last season.

Also he may have took us to a European final but he has also made us the whipping boys of a group we should be at least competing for 2nd place in we are the laughing stock of Europe right now and the teams confidence is rock bottom because of this and it all comes back to the coaching, what do we actullay teach these players at Murray Park ???

Smiths contract is up in January depending on whether we are under new ownership or not i think it would be best for him to move upstairs and let a younger manager with new ideas freshen things up on and off the park its not all about spending money its about getting the best out of a tired squad low on confidence.

Last night i came so close to leaving early for the 1st time ever but i couldnt do it a few people around me booed the team at full time but i couldnt even bring myself to that either as felt so low and dissapointed and embarressed

the only positve is we can now concentrate fully on the league and taking advantage of the worst Celtic team in years.

Indeed - was all a bit bizarre last night from Smith and his management team.

The problem is that I've literally no idea what manager could come in under the current high pressure circumstances at Rangers and do a better job with no money, unwilling players, an apathetic support and an absent owner. I'd argue that while our results and performances have hardly been glowing, Smith has done pretty well to achieve the relative success he has done.

Of course, that in itself is no reason not to replace him considering he seems unable to get the best out of a band bunch of players while arguably wasting millions of pounds we did have on players that simply don't seem good enough.

That is probably the crux of our problem , last night though thoroughly dejected and disappointed as I left yet again after an embarrassing defeat what struck me was the lack of anger which had been replaced by acceptance , acceptance that we are where we are and that in the bigger picture things will get better .

Our team formation last night mirror's our off field formation including our finances in that no one really has a clue where or what they are meant to be doing .

We have a manager who like the club owner probably doesn't really want to be there but unlike the owner actually feels our pain yet can do nothing about it , yes last night was appaling just like the way the club is getting run but I for one can only hope that a brighter future lies ahead as I never want the feeling of accepting what I witnessed last night again.