The Boyd situation

I heard a stat, think it was on here, that prior to last night Boyd had only 2 goals to his name in open play in the past 13 games. Obviously that's 14 now.

There are rumours he's as good as gone to Birmingham, and his form has taken a vicious nose dive. Someone said it is actually looking a credible notion that he may struggle to hit 30 goals this year, and that's not miles off given his current displays.

Whether his mind is in Birmingham, or whether he really is bothered about the whole Smith contract malarky, there is no doubt Boyd is currently playing rather abysmally save that header for Naismith at Tynecastle.

When you have a player in bad, bad form, generally a good idea is to drop them in favour of someone else chomping at the bit to prove themselves - Miller got his form generally back reasonably, but Boyd hasn't followed suit and is playing like his old passenger self.

Could this be a chance for the likes of Lafferty, Novo or Little to come in and prove themselves in that position?

And overlooking all that - anyone got any other theories as to why his form is all round so poor right now?

He's very very lucky that we have no strength in depth anymore. The power he currently holds over the club and the fans is crazy for such a limited footballer. I'd imagine the vast majority of our fans don't even have a clue that he's only scored 2 goals (plus 3 penalties) in his last 14 games.

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

And overlooking all that - anyone got any other theories as to why his form is all round so poor right now?

IMO, he was brought back from his hernia op too early and has been struggling to get back to 100% ever since. If this is indeed the case, then both the club and player are probably equally to blame because the club's physios should know better than to listen to a player that says 'I feel great & want to play'.

He hasn't been good, something in the back of his mind about his future might be causing him to think about a move. If he does leave I will be sad as his goals have helped us a lot and losing him for nothing is another kick in the balls but he doesn't do it in the big games.