The Boyd situation

Why would you think that, .
The wee hing at the end.
I am happy that we are despite everything SPL champs elect, I am less that happy that there are still punters who question Boyds credentials, they won't miss him then will they when he joins big Eck. I am far from happy he is going, but I am a realist for the riches he has been offered who wouldn't change their employer. Still some have the quaint notion that Boydy owes Rangers his "loyalty" aye right....:spl:

ETA wattie rates him that much he was willing to punt him when it suited wattie, different ball game now boydy got all the aces and good luck to him

I still dont think Wattie rates him to be honest. I think if he really felt wanted at rangers he would still be here. Still, here is hoping...

I hate that 'every game is a big game' counter argument when people rightly say that Boyd generally doesn't do the business in difficult matches. 1 goal against Celtic in a career spanning 9 years is pathetic and there's no justifying it. I honestly cannot possibly see how he can be a success in England, especially considering how few chances Birmingham create for their strikers.

Every game IS a 'big game' at our level though! Every single team we play wants to win and they rightly (or at least apparently) up their game when they play us or the bheasts. Maybe that's a myth as well, I don't know, but what two teams have done to us & them in the past week is unthinkable. 4-0 & 4-1 ??? Every game is a 'big game', end of (IMO).

Boyd may not have been banging them in recently, but I think his overall game has improved again, he's consistently winning much more in the air than ever before and his general linkup play has looked good as well. We've been winning, so why change things?

Also, the goal from open play thing is a bit disingenuous, its not as if when you win a penalty, you automatically get a goal. Its a big relief to have someone like Boyd there to take penalties as his record is so good. The rest of the stuff that's argued against Boyd has been debated to death on here in the past.

He's a player I think we should be looking to keep, but I can totally understand why he may want to move on and most fans would wish him all the best I think. He won't be easy to replace, but we do have a few strikers in the squad at the moment and maybe guys like Naismith would benefit from a run in the team in their natural position as part of a settled partnership.

Edited by ascender

The wee hing at the end. I still dont think Wattie rates him to be honest. I think if he really felt wanted at rangers he would still be here. Still, here is hoping...

On that we can concur, but you know my estimation of Wattie, the epitome of the right place at the right time and better being lucky than good, the killing fields of the EPL and Europe are the bench mark, you know the rest.

Could this be a chance for the likes of Lafferty, Novo or Little to come in and prove themselves in that position?

Lafferty has done absolutely nothing to deserve a starting place ahead of Boyd, and I'd even suggest his continued poor form is a factor in Boyd continuing to start every week. It's difficult for a manager to place trust in a guy who continues to disappoint time and time again. Novo, by contrast, has for me had a pretty lively season.

The thing about Boyd is, he's had a number of these troughs in form through the years, triggering the usual panic amongst the support. You can only really go on past evidence, and every time he has seen it through and the goals have returned. He very well may be off to Birmingham in the summer, but Boyd has never struck me as the kind of guy to let much phase him, so I think it's just a lean patch. And with him it's never lean for long.

Or maybe it's time for him to retire from the Scotland side again ;)

Boyd may not have been banging them in recently, but I think his overall game has improved again, he's consistently winning much more in the air than ever before and his general linkup play has looked good as well. We've been winning, so why change things?

Also, the goal from open play thing is a bit disingenuous, its not as if when you win a penalty, you automatically get a goal. Its a big relief to have someone like Boyd there to take penalties as his record is so good. The rest of the stuff that's argued against Boyd has been debated to death on here in the past.

He's a player I think we should be looking to keep, but I can totally understand why he may want to move on and most fans would wish him all the best I think. He won't be easy to replace, but we do have a few strikers in the squad at the moment and maybe guys like Naismith would benefit from a run in the team in their natural position as part of a settled partnership.

I can't really see Naismith as a goalscorer like Boyd, but then who would? I see Naismith more as a Miller player, hard working with an odd goal in a few games.

Lafferty has done absolutely nothing to deserve a starting place ahead of Boyd, and I'd even suggest his continued poor form is a factor in Boyd continuing to start every week. It's difficult for a manager to place trust in a guy who continues to disappoint time and time again. Novo, by contrast, has for me had a pretty lively season.

The thing about Boyd is, he's had a number of these troughs in form through the years, triggering the usual panic amongst the support. You can only really go on past evidence, and every time he has seen it through and the goals have returned. He very well may be off to Birmingham in the summer, but Boyd has never struck me as the kind of guy to let much phase him, so I think it's just a lean patch. And with him it's never lean for long.

Or maybe it's time for him to retire from the Scotland side again ;)

I personally wouldn't play Novo and Miller together I just don't like 2 small strikers playing together and both aren't really penalty box strikers. Although Novo had his most productive season when he was actually playing up front, in his first season with us.

Lafferty for me needs to be loaned out next season for a few months to a championship team to sort himself out a bit like Charlie Adam, getting away from the goldfish bowl etc.

Dick Advocaat signed Lafferty? He must've been about 12 at the time!

Your getting the hang of this doc, you have to read between the lines, sort of bitter sweet irony, as for big Laffs he only plays as if he is 12...:devil:

ETA furfuxsake just seen Boogie gettin interviewed on sky sports from Qatar, making the wrong noises happy to stay happy to go, what the feck is happening in the dressin room, start sorting it out Wattie it is running away from you.

Edited by wabashcannonball

Your getting the hang of this doc, you have to read between the lines, sort of bitter sweet irony, as for big Laffs he only plays as if he is 12...:devil:

ETA furfuxsake just seen Boogie gettin interviewed on sky sports from Qatar, making the wrong noises happy to stay happy to go, what the feck is happening in the dressin room, start sorting it out Wattie it is running away from you.

For someone who has paid such a significant interest in the current financial plight of our club you are the last person I would have thought who would put this one at Smith's feet.

Smith isnt involved in contract dealings, it is done by Bain (apparently....) so just what CAN Walter do to stop a player from saying he is happy to stay or happy to go ??? Just what can he do to convince said player to stay other than ask him to do so, especially when WS isnt involved in contract negotiations nor can he control the ambitions or desires of the players ??