Rangers FC no longer for sale

Guest Northampton_loyalist
It went fairly quiet around here last night too. I went off to watch some TV and returned to see the thread closed and all sorts of shennanigans had been happening. Then watched about fifteen members logged on but everyone apparently too stunned to post anything at all. We even had Grandmaster Suck reading the offending thread for about twenty minutes, so the notoriety of said thread must have spread at least that far.

I said somewhere else recently that the lack of news was perhaps the most encouraging sign of real action we'd seen so far. I'd just like to think that if the Ellis deal does go through, we won't have an avalanche of self-congratulation from those who "predicted" it. What I hope we will see is an avalanche of questions to the club and new owner about his specific plans for the club.

There will be nothing to self congratulate over, having advanced information is in no way the same as working something out for yourself. Certain punters have left themselves in a position where once the deal has gone through, they deserve everything thrown at them. I will just be smug though :D

The silence is a strange development, there were some pretty big hitters saying that they knew for certain Ellis was a shill and they have pretty much all gone to ground. Whether that is through information they have recieved or through deciding that their position was untenable I dont know, but as you say, it is a pointer at least towards some movement

Yeah, that's how I'd interpret Ellis' intentions as well N_L but as always the devil is in the detail...

While his name is mentioned above, as Suck has said elsewhere, what makes Ellis so different/better from SDM/MIH/PPG in being able to deliver on the G51 proposals? I guess he may have secured funding from people less inclined to be involved with SDM and that may explain why they're not keen to make their association known until he is out of the picture completely.

Unfortunately, we can only base our analysis on hope rather than expectation which, after spending/investing another �£420, is rather unfair.

I suppose we may know more by this time next week. ;)

Unfortunately, it's not just about money. It's mainly about leadership and direction; having a clear plan and the will to deliver it. Without an owner focussed on the right outcome, the club will continue to stagnate.

If the deal turns out to be fundamentally about property, where do you think the leadership's attention will be focussed? I'm willing to hazard a guess it won't be on the football club and if that does turn out to be the case, we'll wish we'd never heard the name Andrew Ellis.

Is this a time to be worried? Damned right it is.

Indeed.

I don't understand the high 5s we've seen because Ellis may finally buy. Sure, a change is as good as a holiday but even with the flaws/mistakes of the Murray reign and the stress of the bank's influence; sometimes it is better the devil you know.

I'm hoping we're at the stage of the Rangers buy-out committee formulating their response to the Ellis plan. Their opinion will be valuable - if ultimately impotent.

It would be good to know if the supporters representatives were also in receipt of this plan and/or attempting to organise a pro-active (or pre-active) response to it!

There will be nothing to self congratulate over, having advanced information is in no way the same as working something out for yourself. Certain punters have left themselves in a position where once the deal has gone through, they deserve everything thrown at them. I will just be smug though :D

I'm not sure there's much to be smug about, or that it's a particularly helpful contribution to be throwing anything at anyone. There will be far too much else to think about without continuing to score points off each other.

Unfortunately, it's not just about money. It's mainly about leadership and direction; having a clear plan and the will to deliver it. Without an owner focussed on the right outcome, the club will continue to stagnate.

If the deal turns out to be fundamentally about property, where do you think the leadership's attention will be focussed? I'm willing to hazard a guess it won't be on the football club and if that does turn out to be the case, we'll wish we'd never heard the name Andrew Ellis.

Is this a time to be worried? Damned right it is.

In the interests of debate, and nothing else, lets look at that..

Assuming the deal is about property, the leadership will certainly be working with one eye at least on the larger profit generator and that will certainly be the property development but there is nothing that dictates who runs the club day to day. There would be every chance of an AJ style appointee in the chair, someone to focus fully on the running of the club within whichever budget the owner(s) set. That sounds awfully like the bank running us but under a different name but it both removes the stringent budgeting we are seeing today and opens up a line for one off investments from either the owners and/or outside agencies. That is obviously a great improvement on today.

I dont see it as fair to suggest that should there be a property angle, we are all doomed, I would even go so far as to say that ANY new owner (or any past owner) should have been looking at redeveloping the area. So long as the club is ringfenced and run properly, it matters very little what happens away from Rangers and it is also true to say that very few football club owners are only that, they all have a 'second' job. Why property should be seens as a 'second' job that would distract disasterously from the running of the club is not something I understand.

For me the key part is the initial investment and the time it has taken to buy the club. If Ellis pays �£33 million, it is money he cannot easily get back if the club is allowed to stagnate, and furthermore it is money that could take a significant amount of time to recoup through a sale if we are left in a similar situation when he leaves. 4 years now we have been up for sale and it is easy to postulate that the reason for that time is down to the financial tie-ins with MIH. Any property developer looking to make, over say 5 years, a profit and run will not want to be tied to the club for 4 years beyond his timesdcale. The easiest way to guarantee his initial investment and a quick sale is to put the club on a firm footing and free from complications. If we gain that from a deal we are miles ahead of where we are today.

I'm not sure there's much to be smug about, or that it's a particularly helpful contribution to be throwing anything at anyone. There will be far too much else to think about without continuing to score points off each other.

Being constantly called a liar only to be proven otherwise? smugness would be merited. Point scoring? absolutely un-helpful or needed. I dont think it will be an issue by next week though and we can all move on to the important debates, the ones that have become sidelined.

Being constantly called a liar only to be proven otherwise? smugness would be merited. Point scoring? absolutely un-helpful or needed. I dont think it will be an issue by next week though and we can all move on to the important debates, the ones that have become sidelined.

It's the last I'll say on it but you'd attract less criticism across the ether if you stopped harping on about your own credibility or about how others will look. After all, if you're right then you're right and if you're wrong then you're wrong. But why not just leave it alone until it works out one way or another. It's no big deal and I think far fewer people are actually looking to judge you than you think. Stay cool, let it go.

It's the last I'll say on it but you'd attract less criticism across the ether if you stopped harping on about your own credibility or about how others will look. After all, if you're right then you're right and if you're wrong then you're wrong. But why not just leave it alone until it works out one way or another. It's no big deal and I think far fewer people are actually looking to judge you than you think. Stay cool, let it go.

Agreed it is time to move on. I would respectfully point you at the last page, my 'harping on' was a direct reply to your comments over-leaf. 'Leaving it' is far from a one way street MF, if you want it leaving, may I suggest you, well, leave it?

anyway, that is done, there are far more meaty posts for you to get fired into above.

I don't think people have necessarily called you a liar per se; just that your information may be wrong.

But, yes, if I had taken the flak you have had (often unreasonable and unfair) I'd be smug as well! :devil:

Anyway, we're treading back onto shaky ground here lads, so let's keep on topic. :)