Celtic 1 - 3 Rangers - Celtic shat their pants

As the cold of winter arrives in earnest, a familiar battle will take place in the East End of Glasgow this weekend as Rangers and Celtic meet in the first Old Firm fixture of this season. While different congregations at hundreds of churches throughout Scotland give their religious thanks, supporters of the Old Firm will be making very different prayers as their own idols take to the field on Sunday lunch-time. With both teams neck and neck at the top of the SPL, who will blink first in the world's greatest derby match?

Confidence will be especially high in the away dressing room as Rangers remain the only unbeaten team in Scotland. Yes, Celtic (and Berwick) also remain undefeated in their league campaigns but the Light Blues have suffered no losses in other competitions which means an impressive start to the season. Of course the unmatched tribalism and bragging rights of an Old Firm victory means this would mean nothing if we did lose on Sunday so the pressure remains high on Walter Smith and his group of players. So far they've responded to this incredibly well; coming back from being behind several times and matching Europe's elite in one-off matches - home and away. Can they do the same against their greatest rivals?

Perhaps the most bizarre aspect of our success this season will be the difficulty in selecting a team for this hugely important game. Using a 4-4-2 domestically we've looked less strong defensively but have scored 22 goals (6 more than Celtic) so far. Meanwhile, in Europe, an old-fashioned 5-4-1 has proven a surprise success enabling us to defend stoutly and counter-attack effectively in games where we know there will be periods we'll have to be patient. As such, our manager will have to decide which of these two markedly different strategies to select for a game against a Celtic team who are playing well and who are stronger at the back than in recent seasons domestically. However, they have conceded goals against tougher opposition so will Walter be tempted to be more adventurous?

Another boost is that, other than the unfortunate Nikica Jelavic, apparently the manager will have a full squad to pick from. Not only has John Fleck recovered from injury but Lee McCulloch and Kirk Broadfoot will both supposedly be available after their respective strains. Conversely, this provides another dilemma in that if he does bring them back, who does he drop from a team who've played well in their absence?

Starting with defence then and 5 of the players should pick themselves if fit. Allan McGregor, Steven Whittaker, Davie Weir, Madjid Bougherra and Sasa Papac will all play irrespective of a 4 or 5 man back-line. The only question will be does Smith supplement this well-kent unit with Ricky Foster or Kirk Broadfoot and dispense with an extra striker? This will be one of the key decisions of Smith's season so far and it is impossible to answer the question with any real confidence.

Moving into midfield and one would expect the same group which has played against Motherwell and Valencia to good effect. Naismith, Davis, Edu and Weiss are all talented players but perhaps lack the steel required for the inevitable Old Firm physical battle. Therefore, if McCulloch is indeed fit, a recall for him is possible meaning Weiss or Edu may make way. Of course if Smith opts for a more orthodox 4-5-1, all these players may well feature which may arguably give us a better balance of attack and defence. However, the manager has been at pains to say he's not enjoying the necessary tactical changes between the SPL and Europe so another system (albeit one we've used well under Smith) may not be agreeable.

This conundrum brings us nicely to our forward options. Obviously Kenny Miller will be favourite to assume the lone-striker role but will his disappointing misses of Wednesday night affect his confidence? With the Jelavic injury, we are limited in our choices for attack. Kyle Lafferty seems to be playing well so he will feature at some point; either as a partner for Miller or in a deeper role which he's not so convincing in. There is the chance that Smith will throw in a wild card such as John Fleck but given his lack of games that is improbable.

All in all, with Celtic favouring an attacking outlook of late, I feel Smith will choose to maintain the European formation which has served him well so far. While this may appear overly defensive, in actual fact, it enables us to get bodies into midfield and attack extremely efficiently at any given time. Midfielders such as Davis, Weiss and Naismith are all natural attacking players so they should be able to support Miller easily enough while also doing the spade-work to help their defence. The only decision for Smith to make will be whether or not to stick with the inexperience of Edu or opt for the strength of Lee McCulloch.

I certainly don't envy the manager his job this weekend!

Possible team (5-4-1):

:am:

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp: :kb:

:sn: :sd: :me: :vw:

:km:

Prediction: Celtic 2 - 2 Rangers

:spl: :robbo:

I can imagine WS will come up with something none of us think of, like Beattie starting or something like that.

With everyone fit bar Jelavic it really is a tough one.

- Broadfoot has played well in his last outings.

- Foster will be on a high.

- Whittaker is first choice RB but hasnt been at his best.

- McCulloch has been good but is he fit?

- Lafferty is finding form.

Really tough choice. But i see them being weak at the back and we should have nothing to fear. Id probably opt for this to start out with this 4-4-2 which can revert to 4-5-1:

:am:

:kb::mb::dw::sp:

:sd::me::lm::vw:

:km::sn:

Edited by Gribz

I would go with frankie's formation, but I can see lafferty and mcculloch coming in for edu and Weiss. I think we need big Lee in there to stiffen the midfield, but I would prefer Weiss to start as I think he provides more of a counter attack threat than lafferty. Wouldn't be surprised to see Foster keep his spot ahead of broadfoot, his pace going forward in that formation is handy. Cannot wait fir this now!!!

I would go with frankie's formation, but I can see lafferty and mcculloch coming in for edu and Weiss. I think we need big Lee in there to stiffen the midfield, but I would prefer Weiss to start as I think he provides more of a counter attack threat than lafferty. Wouldn't be surprised to see Foster keep his spot ahead of broadfoot, his pace going forward in that formation is handy. Cannot wait fir this now!!!

I think having two holding players plus the 5 man defence is going too defensive. I reckon it will be either Edu or McCulloch unless we have a 5 man midfield (or a 4-4-2) where both will then play.

I think Weiss deserves his place in the team with a couple of good displays over the last week or so but perhaps he'd be a good option from the bench to have in reserve if a change is required.

Foster did very well during the week but if Broadfoot is genuinely fit then his experience may be a better option in a fixture that always has the power to bewilder d�©butantes.

Like you, I'm extremely excited as this game has goals and action written all over it! :cool:

I haven't been as confident of an easy victory in an OF game at the Piggery in years.

I cannot see anywhere that they could threaten us from, I think we are miles ahead of them in all areas of the park, and the important match ups are well balanced in our favour.

The only thing we can do that IMO would give the bheasts a chance would be to go with the 5 man defence and give them a lot of possession.

They wont look to play 20 passes and cut us open like Man U and Valencia, it will be route 1 stuff into the box and look for scraps and penalties. The ref is going to be under severe pressure from the first minute from the fully offended brigade and we will need to ensure that we dont breathe on them around the box as it will result in poor decisions from the crucifix whistler from the RC school.

Play with Whittaker and Papac at full back flanking Weir and Bougherra, Davis and Edu in the centre of midfield with Naismith and Weiss attacking them down both sides with Miller and Lafferty both looking to take the match ball home if we create the same chances as we have been doing in recent weeks.

Lets not bring back in the negative McCulloch or Broadfoot, they are not worthy of such respect, and lets go out there and do these chunts in a way not seen at the piggery in many a long year.

If we can go with a positive formation and get a fair crack from the ref, we could and should have this game won by half time, and the second half will see them resort to kicking, diving, cheating and their chief bigot screaming injustice from the dugout, ably assisted by 50,000 smelly on-message tims hurling abuse, lighters, coins etc as is their want.

Losers 0 Champions 4

Why This Weekend's Old Firm Game Means More To Celtic Than Rangers

Neil Lennon's men must prove a point against stalwart Walter Smith

By Andrew Southwick

Oct 22, 2010 9:15:00 AM

In tribal warfare, young men must prove themselves in battle. In the most tribal football match of them all, fledgling Celtic manager Neil Lennon must prove himself against bitter rivals Rangers.

Each half of the Old Firm own perfect league records, they both are laying claim to the throne of the best team in Scotland, and they both absolutely and unconditionally hate the sight of each other.

Everyone expects a classic. Chances are it will be more of a battle than a game of football that will epitomise what struggles to still be known as the beautiful game.

What it will undoubtedly be, though, is intriguing. After eight wins out of eight for both sides, we all want to know who will blink first.

For Celtic fans, after two barren years without the league title, the excitement is at fever pitch as they begin to believe their side has the credentials to finally be champions again.

However, by 2.30pm on Sunday, they may just realise questions have been asked of their side that they simply can not answer.

For Rangers manager Walter Smith has been here before. Taken his side into the lions' den, even when written off, and emerged triumphant.

With 20 years of management behind him, and an Old Firm record to be envied by those before him and those who will follow him, he knows what to expect.

Best of all for Rangers and Smith is that they don't need to win on Sunday. Celtic, despite what they'll say should the final whistle not signal rapturous celebration, do need the win.

Not for the three points – it is only October after all and three Old Firm games are still to come. Celtic need the win for a more important reason than that.

They need to extinguish the doubts that they are championship-winning material.

In a season where, even as defending champions, Rangers have exceeded expectations, which in turn eases the pressure on Smith's men.

Celtic may be matching them on league points, but look where Rangers have picked up theirs. Away to Aberdeen and Hearts, straddling a Champions League game, was a cruel fixture list. Winning all three games when behind in two of them was an awesome show of power.

They have rarely failed to exert anything but total dominance at home. Even when the plucky visitors have taken the lead and tried to wobble the Gers, as Motherwell did last weekend, back they come stronger and angrier. Rangers won that game 4-1.

In a Champions League group where they are meant to simply be erasing the nightmare of last season, they remain unbeaten with only one goal conceded, and that was to Valencia who until recently were topping arguably the best league in the world.

Smith doesn't have to go for it at Parkhead. He can, to coin a phrase that best described their European trip to Old Trafford, "park the bus".

If Rangers were to simply adopt a 4-5-1 formation, subdue anything Celtic wish to throw at them, and frustrate the home support, then they will leave Glasgow’s East End knowing that their opponents' credentials are still in doubt.

The fact Celtic won the last Old Firm encounter - the first with Lennon in charge - means little. The question needing answered is “can they do it when it counts?” And last time, it didn't.

Lennon holds an outstanding record of never having dropped a league point since taking over the hotseat towards the tail end of last season.

He has matched Rangers all the way in the SPL this season. While the fixture list was kinder, trips to Motherwell and Dundee United have been banana skins for the Old Firm in the past.

However, Lennon has failed in every big test that has come his way, and he's only been the manager for a few months.

Failure in the Champions League qualifiers this summer, embarrassment in the Europa League, and even humiliation in the Scottish Cup against Ross County last season. Celtic have not proved to be battle hardened at all under Lennon.

This weekend, Celtic fans finally want to know if they have moved on from the Gordon Strachan side that held all the aces but ended up with the joker. They want to be satisfied that the meek surrender of Tony Mowbray's tenure is not going to be repeated.

But, can Neil Lennon do it when it matters?

What if Smith plays 4-5-1 – can Celtic open them up and get the goals their support will crave?

Do his new signings have the bottle for the big clash, when they have wilted already when the going got tough in Braga and Utrecht in those European embarrassments?

Do they even have the discipline to cope? Their manager is certainly no role model on that front.

Lennon has it all to prove on Sunday. The most important day in his managerial career may

simply be the beginning of the end should Celtic once again fail to find an answer to Smith's probing questions.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/461/scotland/2010/10/22/2177683/why-this-weekends-old-firm-game-means-more-to-celtic-than

In tribal warfare, young men must prove themselves in battle. In the most tribal football match of them all, fledgling Celtic manager Neil Lennon must prove himself against better rivals Rangers.

Fixed! :D :D