Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Ally McCoist is optimistic Rangers can win the chase for Neil Danns after confirming he is trying to push through a deal for the Crystal Palace midfielder.

Danns is out of contract at Palace and the 28-year-old has been offered a new deal to stay with the Championship club.

However, he is expected to leave Selhurst Park and Gers' Old Firm rivals Celtic, Hull City and Southampton have all been linked with bids.

Premier League club Bolton Wanderers are the latest club mooted as admirers of Danns, but McCoist is hoping to bring the former Birmingham City player to Ibrox.

"There could be information on Neil Danns in a matter of days," said McCoist in the Daily Record.

"We've been talking to his representatives since he left Crystal Palace and I'm trying to push that one through."

Palace's assistant manager Lennie Lawrence is resigned to Danns moving on, but is confident the club can retain their other key players.

Lawrence told the Croydon Advertiser: "I assume, sadly, that Neil Danns will sign for someone else, but other than that we are not losing anyone else."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7004382,00.html

Coisty in the Sunday liam saying we won't go to 3m for Cuellar......

ALLY McCOIST last night insisted Rangers wouldn't be held to ransom by Aston Villa over Carlos Cuellar after the Premiership club slapped a �£3million price tag on his head.

The Ibrox gaffer returned from holiday yesterday and went straight to Murray Park from the airport to start prioritising a transfer target list that is topped by Cuellar, left.

But not at the kind of money quoted for the Spaniard who wants to return to Scotland after a successful first spell at Ibrox three years ago.

McCoist said: "Gordon Smith has been talking to Aston Villa about Carlos. I'm very keen for that deal to go through but I don't think we'd be going as far as �£3million to make it happen."

Ok, first of all you're calling Whittaker one our best players and trying to pay a king's ransom to him to make him stay, and now you're saying Carlos Cuellar is not worth �£3M and won't go that high to sign him?

Call this kneejerk as fuck, but I am not happy with McCoist if this kind of decision making is going to punctuate his management.

In fact I'm utterly pissed off with him so far.

One piece of decent news is that after West Brom allegedly failed with a bid last night to lure McGregor, Shagger is still is contract talks and should sign up soon.

For a player in his final year, �£3m is quite steep even for a player of Cuellar's quality. We are far too open in my eyes baulking at steep prices not exactly what us, the fans want to hear.

I dont want to beat this to death Danny, but you are laying the responsibility at the wrong door, unless I am mistaken as to how transfer and contract negotiations are working at Ibrox.

McCoist, when it comes to contracts and transfers, is nothing more than the club mouthpiece. Whyte & Smith are dealing with transfer and contract negotiations.

What I would say though is that I would prefer we told Whittaker to do one (thus saving a ton of money, and getting at least 1 mill in transfer fees) and using those proceeds to snare Cuellar. Yes, I know it means we have 1 in and 1 out and we need net IN due to squad size, but Cuellar is a far, far better player than Whittaker.

Also, we have a reasonable replacement for Whittaker in Broadfoot, if fit. Yes, we would probably hope to upgrade eventually but we at least have a replacement.

With Cuellar he would be coming in to ADD to the team in the sense that Weir is too old to play every game and we have no other players of suitable quality and experience to play CB right now. So Cuellar would add to the team in terms of quality and experience.

In other words, I think it is more important that we have Cuellar in our squad than Whittaker.

Dundee United received two offers on Friday for striker David Goodwillie, neither of which was from Rangers, according to a Tannadice source.

However, neither offer matched United's �£2m asking price for the 22-year-old.

A club spokesman told BBC Scotland: "No-one has met our valuation yet, but that doesn't stop people putting offers in. We've had two today. It's ongoing."

Cardiff City have discussed Goodwillie with United and it is believed they were one of Friday's bidders.

Rangers owner Craig Whyte told United they were asking too much for the striker.

"I think, for that individual player, �£2m is too steep," said Whyte.

"But I am sure there are more conversations to be had with Dundee United."

So other sides are interested? Who could they be?

I dont want to beat this to death Danny, but you are laying the responsibility at the wrong door, unless I am mistaken as to how transfer and contract negotiations are working at Ibrox.

McCoist, when it comes to contracts and transfers, is nothing more than the club mouthpiece. Whyte & Smith are dealing with transfer and contract negotiations.

What I would say though is that I would prefer we told Whittaker to do one (thus saving a ton of money, and getting at least 1 mill in transfer fees) and using those proceeds to snare Cuellar. Yes, I know it means we have 1 in and 1 out and we need net IN due to squad size, but Cuellar is a far, far better player than Whittaker.

Also, we have a reasonable replacement for Whittaker in Broadfoot, if fit. Yes, we would probably hope to upgrade eventually but we at least have a replacement.

With Cuellar he would be coming in to ADD to the team in the sense that Weir is too old to play every game and we have no other players of suitable quality and experience to play CB right now. So Cuellar would add to the team in terms of quality and experience.

In other words, I think it is more important that we have Cuellar in our squad than Whittaker.

I just don't understand why Ally loves Whittaker so much, and is almost prepared to keep him at all costs.

I really don't agree with him on this. Or, I'll go further and say our manager is wrong. I just hope his judgement isn't always this awry.

I just don't understand why Ally loves Whittaker so much, and is almost prepared to keep him at all costs.

I really don't agree with him on this. Or, I'll go further and say our manager is wrong. I just hope his judgement isn't always this awry.

We need depth in the squad mate