Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Craig, I know fine well that we need at least one good central defender and I absolutely agree that Cuellar is WORTH �£3m, but I'm definitely not convinced that we can afford to spend �£3m on him unless we sell a player or two and I'm not convinced that Whyte would sanction buying him for �£3m either. That last point is a very important one too because if Whyte's purse strings are tight it matters not a jot whether WE think he should spend �£3m on a central defender like Cuellar.

If I was being completely pragmatic about it I'd actually say that a player as good as Cuellar would almost be essential for playing in Europe, but not essential for playing in the SPL. We could easily buy TWO good central defenders for LESS than �£3m and while I agree that we should be looking at quality rather than quantity, it does need to have the right balance for the whole squad. We were looking seriously thread-bare at times this past season and while we got away with it, we only just got away with it; it was a tight scrape!

We also need to consider that there's a chance of us losing 2 or 3 key players in this transfer window and not necessarily for stellar transfer fees either. Those key players will need to be automatically replaced with us potentially having to spend more to replace them than what we receive for them.

With regards to Broadfoot; he was supposed to be set to come back injury free last summer for the start of the season and did indeed feature early in the season, only to be injured for most of the rest of the season with more than one injury. He got injured, came back into 1st team training, got injured again, came back into 1st team training etc etc. That's just not reliable mate and while he might just have been unlucky last season, there's also the chance that we could see exactly the same this season. With a small squad we need to be depending on players who don't keep getting injuries, not players who do.

Who's this Bradley guy people are mentioning?

His Dad is the US national team coach and he has been keeping Edu out of the Gold Cup team. He is actually worse than Edu.....

His Dad is the US national team coach and he has been keeping Edu out of the Gold Cup team. He is actually worse than Edu.....

I was watching the USA Jamaica game the other night and Edu was playing.

I think we'll up the bid for Cuellar to �£2.5M and try our luck with that.

I think we can afford to pay a wee bit more for him. Under the old regime we clearly couldn't.

Albeit if it's a question of what we can afford, how the hell did we manage to shell out the �£4M for Jelavic?

I was watching the USA Jamaica game the other night and Edu was playing.

Edu's move to Blackburn has now made Talksport.

Apparently we've been bid �£1M but we want 2. Wages are supposedly �£25k. A deal is there to be done, just a matter of time before he leaves.

Edu's move to Blackburn has now made Talksport.

Apparently we've been bid �£1M but we want 2. Wages are supposedly �£25k. A deal is there to be done, just a matter of time before he leaves.

If we could get two that would be decent business in my opinion. He cost us 2.6, we got 3 years out of him and he wouldnt be a starter for me I have to say. I would prefer we started with Ness and Davis in the middle and, dare I say it, McCulloch is a better bet in there too.

If we get two that would help strengthen too.

I wouldnt be overly bothered if Edu left.