All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

Rangers, Celtic and Bristol City prepare to lure Fran Sandaza from St Johnstone

Published on 15 December 2011

Robert Thomson

RANGERS and celtic are set to do battle with each other, as well as Bristol City, for signature of the St Johnstone striker, Francisco Sandaza.

Derek McInnes, the Perth side's former manager, wants to take the Spaniard to Ashton Gate in January but faces competition from the Old Firm. The McDiarmid Park club have indicated to Sandaza that they want him to stay and are in the process of putting together a new, long-term deal but interest from elsewhere is likely to kill off any hopes of keeping him in Perth.

Neil Lennon is an admirer of the 27-year-old and the Celtic manager sees the former Dundee United man as a potential replacement for Palermo target Georgios Samaras, while Rangers are also monitoring the situation. Lennon is understood to be considering a bid in an attempt to persuade St Johnstone to allow the player leave before the end of the season. Sandaza, who signed a one-year deal in the summer, is free to speak to other parties in the new year and is almost certain to leave when his contract ends.

McInnes, who brought the player to St Johnstone, has been promised a January budget and plans a double swoop on his former club for both Sandaza and £1m-rated midfielder Murray Davidson.

St Johnstone look to have missed out on a ready-made replacement for Sandaza after Cliftonville accepted a £100,000 bid from Swansea City for Rory Donnelly, the Northern Ireland under-21 internationalist who was also attracting interest from Kilmarnock.

From the herald apparently.

EVERTON are ready to battle Sunderland for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

Toffees boss David Moyes is desperate to bolster his strikeforce in the January transfer window and has made Jelavic his top target.

Moyes launched a bid to take him to Goodison in 2010, but moved too late to stop him leaving Rapid Vienna for Ibrox in a £4million deal.

Rangers' financial woes mean they are vulnerable to losing top scorer Jelavic who has already hit 14 goals this season.

Last night Gers boss Ally McCoist confessed for the first time that he fears losing Jela next month. He said: "It's not something I want to happen but it's also not something I can rule out. It's as simple as that."

Although West Brom, Liverpool and even Manchester United have also been linked with the Croatia international, the main worry for Moyes will be the interest of Sunderland.

New Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill will be given money to spend in January and funds at Everton remain too tight to enter a bidding war.

McCoist added: "I know Martin. I worked with him on television. He is an absolute diamond, a class act.

"I'd rather Jelavic stayed here. The speculation's affected him, but he keeps doing the business. I was really pleased with him last week against Hibs. I hope he can continue that form against Caley. He's vital."

Moyes last night agreed a two-month loan deal with LA Galaxy striker Landon Donovan.

With Apostolos Vellios Everton's leading league scorer with three goals, Moyes is desperate for a long-term solution.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4002207/Everton-in-for-Nikica-Jelavic.html#ixzz1gebhfySY