Green plans Rangers wage cap

From STV article:

"The notes state that in 2013 the first team payroll is to constitute 26% of all revenues with it currently sitting at around £7.5m, which will reduce to 18% of all revenues in the next two years as Cenkos predicts turnover to hit £46.5m by 2015"

I think as usual there's a bit of a negative spin in the reporting of this. A wage cap is surely sensible after what we've just been through. The 33% of turnover being less than half of what the rest of SPL clubs spend is a red herring though, as their turnover is much less than ours. Anyway, why would the example of what the rest of the failing SPL clubs do be something for us to aim for?

The increase in ST prices is also something that you would have to expect as we go up through the leagues.

Not convinced the dividend idea is a great thing though, but I suppose that means that the club will have to be run profitably in future.

Edited by aftershock

33% of our turnover is a higher figure of 66% of St Mirren / St Johnstones turnover.

If turnover increases our wage cap could still be quite a high amount.

Season ticket prices were dropped this season so when we get back to the top flight its natural ST would go up.

yes but its also a lot lower than celtcs. I'm bot all that worried about finishing above st Johnston and st mirren.

33% of turnover might be quite a lot of wages, depending on turnover of course.

I read on another thread Bayern Munich's ST prices are £96. Anyone know what percentage of wages to turnover their players get?

They must be getting in a helluva lot of sponsorship money.

Yep, Euro 120 for the cheapest season ticket in the standing areas. Bayern's turnover is Euro 350m (Pound Sterling 282m).

Because they are bringing in far more money commercially than we are. They also market the club a helluva lot better than we do.

... and they have two companies running the club, one paying the players, the other owning them and the stadium. One has 20m debt, the other next to none. And there there is their Irish multi-millionaire backing them.

We should not forget that for some reason or another, the Hooped Horrors manage to sell some of their people for money-beyond any reason, just remember Traitor O'Gheady. Most likely, something similar will happen with Wanyama. Had they bowed out of Europe early this season, they would be neck deep in the naughty stuff. Their profit was some 180k at the end of business years 2011 and you do wonder what happened without CL money this year. As it stands, they will be heaped in UEFA gold in 2012/13, looking smug while the rest of the SPL goes to the wall. The only club who really profits from our fate. It was not hard to anticipate, but some folks senses were muddled back then.

I don't think this is unachievable at all. I'm not going to panic about it. The ST thing I don't think is too bad. The assumption is based on us going up to 1st division from 2014, well fine, that means no increase next year which is fair. The tickets came down 33% in total did they not? They are going to go back up by 35%, which is really a 2% increase over several years.

We also have a lot of young boys, imagine what they are earning just now and how many games they will get and potentially how much we can save from having home grown talent in the team, coming up through the ranks. I don't think this is unrealistic and yeah lots of negative spin

It really is kind of strange. A few months back we had people crying foul of us paying Black and Co. 7k a week, as this is no-where near a "Third Division" wage (but still only about a third of our previous "higher" earners). Now people cry foul of a wage cap (for how long, 2 years?) without knowing the actual figures involved? Unless I am mistaken, 7k a week is still a really competitive wage in most parts of Britain and Europe. Real quality might be tempted by better wages in England, but England right now is no measure. For the time being, we should look at achievements made by Malmö, Maribor, Montpellier, or Braga ... who I would assume do not pay as much to their players even now ...

Edited by der Berliner
spelling