By all accounts an outstanding player who was in 11th place in the European Footballer of the Year award in 1988, and in 17th place in 1989.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see him at his best and I must admit I was always very suspicious of that second game injury; if I recall it was early in the match too.

Sorry don't get the connection with Durrant; Kuznetsov was a CB?

Just that like Durrant, Kuznetsov suffered a really bad injury and we never really saw the best of him while he was here.

The difference with Durrant was at least we got quite a bit out of him both before and after his injury. With Kuznetsov - and Rosenthal, they came with massive reputations and expectorations which they were never able to deliver in more than half a game or two. They're a couple of the many intriguing Rangers what-ifs...

The difference with Durrant was at least we got quite a bit out of him both before and after his injury. With Kuznetsov - and Rosenthal, they came with massive reputations and expectorations which they were never able to deliver in more than half a game or two. They're a couple of the many intriguing Rangers what-ifs...

Big Oleg did at least score that screamer against Celtic on New Year's Day. What a strike.

Is it fair to say we never got the best out of quite a number of quality players (not quite world class). This may be due to a few reasons like they were winding down their career, couldn't adapt to Scottish style of play and many more.

We had a pretty good record at signing players with pedigree who had success at World cup and European level.

To name a few:

Kuznetzov - A lot been said already

Van Vossen - I remember him coming with big reputation but other than a few glimpses he failed to impress.

Salenko - Scored 5 goals in 1 game at the world cup.

Porrini - A champions league winner with Juventus who were a cracking side. He didn't have a bad Rangers career, just not spectacular. (played RB a lot rather than CH)

Boli - Another CL winner who didn't last long.

Rosental - Was hot property in South America and getting into the Chile side with Salas and Zameramo both who were cracking. Obviously injury was his downfall. I remember being at the game he got injured against St Johnstone, he just jumped for a header and his studs got stuck in the turf. Such an unlucky one.

Prodan - Never kicked a ball.

Thern - Was cracking for Sweden and captained them to the WC 94 semi's. But looked well out of place for us.

Thinking back we probably under achieved in Europe for a few seasons considering the players we had, money that was spend. For a few seasons we were shocking in Europe losing against teams like AEK Athens, Rosenburg and Copenhagen when we should have been beating teams like that.

Is it fair to say we never got the best out of quite a number of quality players (not quite world class). This may be due to a few reasons like they were winding down their career, couldn't adapt to Scottish style of play and many more.

We had a pretty good record at signing players with pedigree who had success at World cup and European level.

To name a few:

Kuznetzov - A lot been said already

Van Vossen - I remember him coming with big reputation but other than a few glimpses he failed to impress.

Salenko - Scored 5 goals in 1 game at the world cup.

Porrini - A champions league winner with Juventus who were a cracking side. He didn't have a bad Rangers career, just not spectacular. (played RB a lot rather than CH)

Boli - Another CL winner who didn't last long.

Rosental - Was hot property in South America and getting into the Chile side with Salas and Zameramo both who were cracking. Obviously injury was his downfall. I remember being at the game he got injured against St Johnstone, he just jumped for a header and his studs got stuck in the turf. Such an unlucky one.

Prodan - Never kicked a ball.

Thern - Was cracking for Sweden and captained them to the WC 94 semi's. But looked well out of place for us.

Thinking back we probably under achieved in Europe for a few seasons considering the players we had, money that was spend. For a few seasons we were shocking in Europe losing against teams like AEK Athens, Rosenburg and Copenhagen when we should have been beating teams like that.

Add Grasshoppers and Levski Sofia to that list.

I thought Van Vossen was a pretty good player till his infamous missed sitter against Celtic. He completely lost his confidence after that and even Walter was saying how he'd somehow been replaced by his twin brother who wasn't any good.

That view of him was cemented home when I watched the season review on Sky that year.

I thought Van Vossen was a pretty good player till his infamous missed sitter against Celtic. He completely lost his confidence after that and even Walter was saying how he'd somehow been replaced by his twin brother who wasn't any good.

That view of him was cemented home when I watched the season review on Sky that year.

Van Vossen had a great start to that season. Scored a belter of a goal against Killie and scored a few goals in the run-up to that Old Firm game.

It was a shame for the guy as he became a bit of a joke figure after that miss. I remember playing football with my mates down the park and if one of us missed a sitter it was known as a "Van Vossen".