Trevor Steven was never world class in his life.

Neither was Souness, Durrant, McCoist or Goram.

World class means guys like Morton, Baxter, and Gough.

Are you talking about Souness at Rangers or over his career?

-------------------------------------------------------

Unless I'm picking some comments up wrong are people suggesting that there can only by 11 World class players at any one time? There have been comments that you must be able to start for or improve any team in the world. So there can only be 1 world class goalkeeper right now, one right back etc.

To extrapolate to other sports is Leigh Halfpenny worldclass or is it Ben Smith/Israel Dagg. Who is the only world class tennis player? Is it Nadal or Djokovic. Clearly Olympic Champion and Wimbledon title holder Andy Murray is only second rate.

I think the number of world class players is entirely dependent upon the era and the strength of talent available. Across Buffon's career there have been many world class keepers. Currently there is Neuer. Czech in his prime was world class. ( Hart is NOT!). You have Xavi and Inesta in midfield. Are Schweinsteiger (sp) and Xabi Alonso not world class.

Who are the two world class strikers right now. Van Persie, Lewandowski, Mandzukic, Suarez. Pick just 2 strikers from around the globe right now? For example I would agree Henry was world class yet someone had him listed with Messi, Maradona, CRon etc. can't say he's in that company.

In any sport world class means being able to compete at the very peak of competition. Going back to tennis even guys like Tsinga and Berdych are world class. They will never likely win a slam and there are 5-10 players better than them. Hell even the top 20-30 are world class.

Extrapolate this to football and it becomes awkward due to the sheer volume of players, teams and participants in "elite" competitions. Most, but not all competing at world cup will be world class. If you qualified from Europe or S America you are likely in a world class team but may not be quite a world class player (9 or 10 world class players can carry 1 or 2 sub-elite players. Look at that Milan team and Dida :P) If you qualified from Africa, Asia etc your team is probably not world class but you may be a world class player. E.g. Eto'o once upon a time.

Then you get your Bales, Giggs, Bests etc.

I don't think that the rules for world class in football are hard and fast and clearly everyone has their own definition. There isn't set criteria.you get "crap" players at the world cup an champions league. "Shit" players have winners medals from these tournaments. World class payers have never graced some of these stages.

I think world class in football or team sports comes from "common" agreement amongst fans and peers at the time. There may be the odd dissenter but if a large proportion of football enthusiasts are declaring someone word class they probably are (except Joe Hart :-)).

These are all attackers, GS, and of course attackers always come to mind when you think of the best players but there's an art to defending as well not necessarily bludgeoning tackling and blocking which is why I nominated Eric Caldow.

Denis Law wouldn't get into the World team ahead of your nominees but he would be available for selection. I know he wasn't a Rangers player but he damn well should have been!

Yes Porrini wasn't a mention to be a world class player but just stating he was a CL winner. Same as Boli for me - scored the winner one season in the CL but not world class.

But Kanchelskis at Man Utd was, not sure how that could be classed as bizarre. Same as Hateley, absolute top notch striker in his day.

Kanchelskis and Hateley were good players in their day but absolutely nowhere near world class.

Widening the pool to include all Scots, Gordon Smith - not our one, the Hibbee - and Denis Law.

Wee jinky wisnae nor wee Wullie.

Of those who wore the hoops probably only KD (after he'd gone to L'pool) and Larsson. Sorry. Forgot he was Irish.

"Wee jinky", and "wearing the hoops"?

Christ, I thought I was on the wrong board there for a minute.