I'm with you on Frank de Boer and Laudrup; but don't think Gattuso was in the same League.

What a combination we had at the end of the season 2003/04 with FdeB and Henning Berg; combined ages 68.75 at the centre of our defence.

As I say, Gattuso was just a young, rugged midfielder played out of position at RB with us (shock horror) but he went on to become a standout DMC at AC Milan, winning the world cup, Seria A and Champions League.

In the early 00's era Milan had one of the finest XI's I've ever seen with Pirlo as the deep lying midfielder and Gattuso playing a defensive right sided position covering Cafu's runs. Gattuso at that point was the best defensive midfielder in the world IMO and that easily made him world class.

PS - Incidentally I can still rattle off that classic Milan side with Dida, Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Cafu, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, Gilardino/Inzaghi, Shevchenko...near enough an XI of world class players. How the mighty have fallen.

Guest Dummiesoot
Goram was an outstanding shot-stopper for sure but Schmeichel was voted the 4th and 5th best PLAYER (not goalkeeper, player) in the world in 1992 and 1993 and the best goalkeeper in the world in those years.

The IFFHS ranked Schmeichel among the top ten keepers of the 20th century in 2000, and in 2001, Schmeichel won a public poll held by Reuters, when the majority of the 200,000 participants voted him as the best goalkeeper ever, ahead of Lev Yashin and Gordon Banks. (source - Wikipedia).

Sorry but Goram was not at that level.

Fact is Goram played in Scotland and therefore at a distinct disadvantage v any comparison with Schmeichel on a global vote. The vyears you mention for the great dane were before the goalie guessed. More than happy to agree to disagree.

Charbonnier was a world cup winner when he joined but not as nearly as good as Goram or Klos (and even Niemi). So it puts that question again of what is World Class, do you go by medals? And is it fair to not class someone due to the league they are?

You can have a list of players who were World Class in their overall career and those who were World Class at Rangers. The De Boer's being the most obvious example as Frank was world class before joining yet Ronald was world class while at Rangers.

Two names who Id add who were world class IMO and havent been mentioned: Andrei Kanchelskis (more so at Man Utd) and Mark Hateley.

EDIT - Wasn't Sergio Porrini another CL winner with Juventus?

Charbonnier was a world cup winner when he joined but not as nearly as good as Goram or Klos (and even Niemi). So it puts that question again of what is World Class, do you go by medals? And is it fair to not class someone due to the league they are?

You can have a list of players who were World Class in their overall career and those who were World Class at Rangers. The De Boer's being the most obvious example as Frank was world class before joining yet Ronald was world class while at Rangers.

Two names who Id add who were world class IMO and havent been mentioned: Andrei Kanchelskis (more so at Man Utd) and Mark Hateley.

EDIT - Wasn't Sergio Porrini another CL winner with Juventus?

Frank was world class in his pomp. Ronald never was but he was a brilliant player.

The Kanchelskis, Hateley and Porrini mentions are outright bizarre.

PS - I understand Porrini wasn't a legitimate suggestion

I hope

Frank was world class in his pomp. Ronald never was but he was a brilliant player.

The Kanchelskis, Hateley and Porrini mentions are outright bizarre.

PS - I understand Porrini wasn't a legitimate suggestion

I hope

Yes Porrini wasn't a mention to be a world class player but just stating he was a CL winner. Same as Boli for me - scored the winner one season in the CL but not world class.

But Kanchelskis at Man Utd was, not sure how that could be classed as bizarre. Same as Hateley, absolute top notch striker in his day.

As I say, Gattuso was just a young, rugged midfielder played out of position at RB with us (shock horror) but he went on to become a standout DMC at AC Milan, winning the world cup, Seria A and Champions League.

In the early 00's era Milan had one of the finest XI's I've ever seen with Pirlo as the deep lying midfielder and Gattuso playing a defensive right sided position covering Cafu's runs. Gattuso at that point was the best defensive midfielder in the world IMO and that easily made him world class.

PS - Incidentally I can still rattle off that classic Milan side with Dida, Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Cafu, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, Gilardino/Inzaghi, Shevchenko...near enough an XI of world class players. How the mighty have fallen.

Anyone else thinking, "blah blah blah"?

Who gives a monkey's?