Yes I saw sandy but it was nearthe end of his career but he was a fine player. Maybe woorld class in his prime

Cammy F

Sandy Jardine was a class act until the very last game he played. Hearts got an absolute gem when he went there.

As a full back, there has not been one who could surpass him in a Rangers jersey, and I've seen the utter class of Caldow and Numan.

Jardine was a beautiful player.

Having watched some of the best defenders in the world in over 5 decades, I'd say Gough was a supreme athlete who could defend with the best of them.

However, it's all about your opinion, and if you don't agree then fair doos.

In my opinion, Gough would not have looked out of place in any team in the world in his prime, and that makes him world class in my eyes. He was an absolute giant.

He spent most of his time playing against no hopers though.

Sandy Jardine was a class act until the very last game he played. Hearts got an absolute gem when he went there.

As a full back, there has not been one who could surpass him in a Rangers jersey, and I've seen the utter class of Caldow and Numan.

Jardine was a beautiful player.

Aye he was class, Scotland had argueably the best two full backs in the world at that time.

Aye he was class, Scotland had argueably the best two full backs in the world at that

time.

I take it you mean with Danny McGrain and I would totally agree with you. It was only unfortunate that Danny was never the same after his injury and in fact became a bit of a hacker.

It is also unfortunate Rangers refused to sign him. Probably because of his name.

So from my own view putting together a near world class team from players Ive seen (I only remember Jardine at Hearts - just)

Remember this is a 'NEAR' WC team IMO manly judging on Rangers days.

Goram - Hands down World Class IMO. Should have had more caps from WC 98 when he didn't go. Broke into the National team when Leighton (arguably best goalie in Britain at the time) was No.1. If you think the goalie just did it for Rangers then the Euro 96 game v Holland sticks in my mind - MOTM performance.

G Stevens - Englands first choice RB at the time ad helped Everton to success. Would have been more highly decorated if he didn't peak when Englands club sides were banned from Europe. But doesn't make World Class for me.

Gough - Maybe starting off his career as a full back cut down the amount of caps he got but he grew as the best centre half Ive ever seen in a blue jersey. World Class IMO.

Butcher - England captain at the time keeps F De Boer (An absolute class act) out of the team simply because he was at his peak for Rangers and was central to the recovery in the late 80s. We got De Boer too late. Big Tel was World Class for me.

Numan - Another class act on and off the pitch. I was a massive David Robertson fan who was superb in the 90s but Numan could have played in most sides on the planet. World Class

Laudrup - Best ever Ger. Best ever player to play in Scotland for me. Transformed the Scottish game and I still remember his debut v Motherwell when he ran most of the pitch setting up the winner for Duncan Ferguson. He was also a standout against Brazil in France 98, and won Euro 92. Absolute World Class.

Gascoigne - Could and should have fitted into the same category as Maradona. If he had Ryan Giggs brain to keep himself fit then disciplined then he would have been our best ever but he possibly would have been a Man Utd player. Most talented British player off all time, pipping Best. World Class when he wanted to be.

Van Bronkhurst - This place was tough and is the only one I had to think about, but Gio went onto being a quality act for Arsenal and Barcelona. Durrant would have this place barring his injury and Souness was the other choice had he came to Ibrox earlier. Not putting him in the World Class bracket though.

Cooper - I was slighty young to appreciate the late great Davie Cooper in full but still recall some top quality and nerves of steal. Taking Ruud Guillit's comments on board you have to say WC.

R De Boer - That's that fixed! WC

McCoist - As good a penalty box striker as there was around and could also score some screamers (Switzerland Euro 96). 2 European golden boots!!! Very controversial one as to whether he was WC or not. Probably a world class poacher but overall world class player? Not for me.

8 out of 11 I put were world class then.

Edited by Gribz

Hard to argue with your choices, Gribz, (although I would take issue with 7 being world class) and I wonder if your new category of "near world class" could just as easily be described as European or Top Quality European Class; because almost all of those players would come into that category. My personal opinion is that as good as Mols was, RdB made him a better player than he was in reality; and Prso was a better all round football player (won't easily forget him chasing after the ball any time he lost it, something I don't recall Mols doing, for example).

The only obvious ommission is Jim Baxter; but who to leave out? And what of Ronald de Boer himself?

Also like to say that Trevor Steven was a better player IMHO than Gary Stevens.

I like your summary of Laudrup, unquestionably in my view the only Rangers player in my lifetime, apart from Baxter, to earn the title world class (and have his place in the FIFA rankings to prove it). Gascoigne and Mikhailichenko (a place on the bench?) are the only Ranger's players to have featured in the European rankings, both earning one 4th placing in the nineties.

One player whose name I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is, Claudio Reyna, who played in FOUR world cups for the USA, correction he was in the squad but didn't play in 1994. He had 111 caps for the USA. That said he was not guaranteed a place in the outstanding midfield we had at the time (and for that matter neither was Albertz, Tugay or Kanchelskis) and often played at RB.

Hard to argue with your choices, Gribz, (although I would take issue with 7 being world class) and I wonder if your new category of "near world class" could just as easily be described as European or Top Quality European Class; because almost all of those players would come into that category. My personal opinion is that as good as Mols was, RdB made him a better player than he was in reality; and Prso was a better all round football player (won't easily forget him chasing after the ball any time he lost it, something I don't recall Mols doing, for example).

The only obvious ommission is Jim Baxter; but who to leave out? And what of Ronald de Boer himself?

Also like to say that Trevor Steven was a better player IMHO than Gary Stevens.

I like your summary of Laudrup, unquestionably in my view the only Rangers player in my lifetime, apart from Baxter, to earn the title world class (and have his place in the FIFA rankings to prove it). Gascoigne and Mikhailichenko (a place on the bench?) are the only Ranger's players to have featured in the European rankings, both earning one 4th placing in the nineties.

One player whose name I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is, Claudio Reyna, who played in FOUR world cups for the USA, correction he was in the squad but didn't play in 1994. He had 111 caps for the USA. That said he was not guaranteed a place in the outstanding midfield we had at the time (and for that matter neither was Albertz, Tugay or Kanchelskis) and often played at RB.

I cant believe I left out R De Boer, not sure how on earth I managed that one. I guess I was going 4-4-2 and when reaching the strikers I was looking for 2 forwards. But I would edit the team and put De Boer in for Prso.

I couldn't put Baxter in as I was basing it on players I have seen. But Im sure an older bear could list an XI with the class players from 60s and 70s.

I like the idea of the category of European Class and admit it would take the 7/11 down.

Albertz is a funny one. One of my all time favourites but couldn't get a mention, he was certainly one of our better performers.

Reyna was a fine player but wouldn't make it for me. Tugay and Kanchelskis certainly would be european quality players. Going into that category Jonas Thern was a fine player, he captained Sweden to 3rd at WC 94, but he was past his best when coming to Rangers.