Add Grasshoppers and Levski Sofia to that list.

Yep, we should have had a proper mix to beat those sides. The confident Scottish spine of Goram, Gough, I Ferguson, McCoist should have been blended much better with the foreigners. I remember watching a re-run of a game not so long ago with a 3-5-2 in Europe. Both Cleland and Moore were in the midfield. Fair play to Dick Advocaat for realising how good a centre half Moore was. He should have been lining up next to Gough on many occasions before moving to Palace.

thinking about this thread on my way back from the shops last night and as a man of 60 plus we should have divided the question into decades saying that I would say that ian mc millan was a real class act a great player who made the game look easy

thinking about this thread on my way back from the shops last night and as a man of 60 plus we should have divided the question into decades saying that I would say that ian mc millan was a real class act a great player who made the game look easy

60 plus compo .........

And you can use the tinternet?

WOW

60 plus compo .........

And you can use the tinternet?

WOW

Don't get why that's a surprise...

I'm in my mid forties and ironically find most kids pretty computer illiterate. They know how to browse the internet and do facebook and that's about it - it's not exactly difficult these days when you don't have to even install anything (ethernet card, drivers, Winsockets, TCP/IP stack, Netscape) never mind setting up gateway DNS, and proxy servers etc. FTP has a non internet meaning for most young Rangers fans, and you needed that to download everything.

My grandfather was on the Internet at 92 and he passed away about 10 years ago...

"and I still have my own hair and teeth"

So have I but there isn't quite as many as there was a time ago.

I nominated Ian McMillan (along with Baxter and Sammy Cox) at the beginning of this thread citing his world class technique and world class football brain. Never saw any player who, like him, could claw down a lofted ball turn 180 degrees and give a twenty + yard accurate pass all in one movement.

Yep, we should have had a proper mix to beat those sides. The confident Scottish spine of Goram, Gough, I Ferguson, McCoist should have been blended much better with the foreigners. I remember watching a re-run of a game not so long ago with a 3-5-2 in Europe. Both Cleland and Moore were in the midfield. Fair play to Dick Advocaat for realising how good a centre half Moore was. He should have been lining up next to Gough on many occasions before moving to Palace.

I remember Walter saying how he envied Advocaat's squad with all the top internationals on the bench. Smith had the likes of Cleland, Nesbitt and Murray on the park and a load of journeymen and kids on bench like Bolan etc.

We had some great first team players but we didn't have strength in depth. If we didn't have all our best players fit and on form then we had a good chance of having a bad game.

Need to look up a squad list to find and example.

Here's the squad for AEK Athens.

Andy Goram

Basile Boli

Richard Gough

Dave McPherson

David Robertson

Ian Ferguson

Stuart McCall

Brian Laudrup

Gordon Durie

Duncan Ferguson

Mark Hateley

Sub on for Durie: Ian Durrant 69

Actually looking at that it was a pretty good team. But then AEK are a far bigger club than most Rangers fans give them credit for.

I do think that part of it was that the 3-5-2 system just didn't work - with those players anyway, and especially with Boli who didn't fit in it at all.