The term world class is probably the most discussed term in football arguments , what actually is world class , is it the ability to get into any world team and improve it , can " world class players " transcend times , ie would Sir Stanley Mathews get the plaudits today when every player is an athlete ,

In every era how many world class players can there actually be , enough for 1 team , 2 teams etc etc if you get my meaning.

Many people including Frankie extol the virtues of Gazza as the biggest signing in Scottish football history and whilst that may be so , if you strip it down to pure footballing terms imho Laudrup was a far better player and would get into most teams ahead of Gazza,

but its all about opinions

Completely agree with you on that, the only reason Laudrup didn't cost more was that he was out of favour at Milan (who did have a genuine world class team)/Fiorentina at the time. He was aged 25 and at his peak when he came to us; Gascoigne was past his peak or getting past his peak. Laudrup made a more consistent impact at Rangers playing 116 games in 4 years compared with Gazza's 74 in 3 years; albeit Gascoigne had a higher goals per game ratio; I'd think (but can't prove) that Laudrup created more chances for others whereas Gazza was more of a soloist.

I'll standby Laudrup and Baxter as the only the truly world class players we've had.

When I highlighted that signing it was more to do with Gazza's overall profile as opposed to him being better or worse than Laudrup per se... :)

A bigger profile can be for all sorts of reasons and in Gazza's case many of them were negative; that doesn't make you a world class player, though he might have been briefly earlier in his career.

When I highlighted that signing it was more to do with Gazza's overall profile as opposed to him being better or worse than Laudrup per se... :)

Totally agree Frankie , we have had many a heated arguement in work over this topic , it's possibly the most over used term in football today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If we think of World Class as being Zidane, Messi, Maradona, Henry, Cruyff etc.

Henry is a level below the rest but even so, by that rule of thumb then there are zero world class players in the EPL at the moment then.

Which I would have to say is not true.

For me the term world class is guys who can excel on the big stage and who could step into a Barca or a Madrid or a Milan in their heyday and still stand out.

World class are players you want to watch and admire.

With regards to the Messi and Ronaldo of today, they are elite. There arent many elite but there are plenty world class.

In theory anyone who plays at a world cup is world class right?

For me the term world class is guys who can excel on the big stage and who could step into a Barca or a Madrid or a Milan in their heyday and still stand out.

World class are players you want to watch and admire.

With regards to the Messi and Ronaldo of today, they are elite. There arent many elite but there are plenty world class.

In theory anyone who plays at a world cup is world class right?

And now we are onto the next stage , elite over world class , or should we not be classing the elite as being world class and the rest very very going lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free