There's a rather fine line between showing ambition and not being sensible.

Personally i'd rather we'd saved up money for the top flight.

As it is now being shown by the main exemplar championed for this kind of thinking, QotS, doing that may drastically delay actually getting there, and the results and performances could be less palatable than last season.

I can't see how that is a viable option.

There is also the point that saving when your income is restricted makes life hard while not producing a significant amount in regard to your foreseeable increased earnings in a few years time. Why have so much pain for very little gain?

It's like a teenage boy who saves all his pocket money to buy say a moped in the future, meaning he can't do anything with his mates and has a miserable time for a couple of years, and then he finds his first job's pay packet is more than his savings, and so he could have spent his money and enjoyed himself and saved the same amount in the first couple of months of working.

There is not much point cutting back on the squad to save for the SPL as the money we save won't make much of an impact and could jeopardise us getting there while having to bear a poor team on the pitch.

Edited by calscot

CB

You raise a number of valid and interesting points which I will try to address and explain fully.

Do Bloggers actually think they influence the Support? I enjoy reading some, yours among them, but they are only someone's opinions.

They most certainly are but quite recently I was made aware of my responsibilities even with my opinion being expressed. I had written an article suggesting Rangers supporters should be no strangers to militant action in order to have their voice heard and some of the suggestions I had made to this effect generated considerable feedback.

A recurring theme in that feedback was that as a “popular blogger” who was read by many, I should exercise greater responsibility before expressing an opinion which called for such action as it may be damaging even to the club. (The original suggestion I had made was that we delay season ticket renewal for a couple of weeks just to remind the board that the Rangers support were not to be paid merely lip service) I think it was fair criticism, particularly as many providing that feedback were regular readers of my blogs.

On the issue of whether we actually influence the support Frankie and I approach this differently. Whilst every article has its own individual reason or motivation for being written I make no bones about it – the majority of my blogs are written with the intention of influencing not only our support but the outside world as well. My last one – The Lucifer Effect - was written to demonstrate that the prejudice and discrimination displayed towards our club and support could be placed into a recognised framework ie Allport's Scale of Prejudice.

Every blogger has his/her own reasons for writing – mine are very much influenced by American Author Mary Pyper who wrote the book “Writing to change the world”. No matter whether my audience was 100 or 100,000 that motivation would not change.

As it is now being shown by the main exemplar championed for this kind of thinking, QotS, doing that may drastically delay actually getting there, and the results and performances could be less palatable than last season.

I can't see how that is a viable option.

There is also the point that saving when your income is restricted makes life hard while not producing a significant amount in regard to your foreseeable increased earnings in a few years time. Why have so much pain for very little gain?

It's like a teenage boy who saves all his pocket money to buy say a moped in the future, meaning he can't do anything with his mates and has a miserable time for a couple of years, and then he finds his first job's pay packet is more than his savings, and so he could have spent his money and enjoyed himself and saved the same amount in the first couple of months of working.

There is not much point cutting back on the squad to save for the SPL as the money we save won't make much of an impact and could jeopardise us getting there while having to bear a poor team on the pitch.

I strongly disagree that spending less than we do now would jeopardise us getting back to the top.

I strongly disagree that spending less than we do now would jeopardise us getting back to the top.

Good for you! I've been informed the appropriate response for this is supposedly, "we'll agree to disagree." I personally would prefer to debate the points but it does seem to have become unfashionable.

Good for you! I've been informed the appropriate response for this is supposedly, "we'll agree to disagree." I personally would prefer to debate the points but it does seem to have become unfashionable.
I'm happy for debate. We won the league last year with ease despite a number of poor results and displays, the third tier isn't hugely different from the fourth. I'll not deny that our style of football may suffer if the playing resources were less but results wise I think it would take an awful lot to put our promotion in doubt. These teams we play, however much fight they have, just aren't that good.

ok right now mitchell is playing out his skin for annan after playing out his skin for us in about 8 games at the end of last year. we also have mcausland who last year played up a division from us and is now at ayr afgain playing in our division after some fine performances for us.

meanwhile we signed foster and smith two rather past it players costing much much more and doing no better.

we had 3 keepers at the start of the season scotland u19l liam kelly. ex u21 keeper gallacher and scotland keeper cammy bell. but we signed simmonsen who will almost certainly never play.

we signed daly only to leave us playing last season and this seasons top scorer at ch.

the signing of law, moshni, clark black and bell make perfect sense and all 4 can contribute when we get back to the spl.

thats all before we talk about sandaza, cribari, shiels & quite possibly even tempelton.

we are wasting millions.

Saying Mitchell played out of his skin last season is way over the top.

He was alright but made mistakes at the 4th tier level of Scottish football. I can see why the management would want someone who they thought would be better.

he was our best player in the run in and got at least 4 motm awards.

Which isn't saying much, tbh. <shrug> I wasn't overly impressed. He was decent, I wouldn't object to his still being there, learning as he goes, but, as I say, I can understand the thinking behind Foster.

Foster and Smith are never going to get any better than they are at present. Mitchell and McAusland may develop, but not unless we coach them properly and give them games. The only place you can learn to be a Rangers player is at Rangers