Motherwell: Shaun Hutchinson expected to exit in summer

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall believes defender Shaun Hutchinson is likely to leave Fir Park in the summer.

But he does not think the out-of-contract 23-year-old is Rangers-bound.

"It's news to Shaun and it's news to myself," McCall said of reported interest from the League One winners.

"As far as I believe, Shaun has not been in touch with Rangers. I know his agent well and he's a good lad. I think that leaving is the route they are going to look at for the moment."

Motherwell lost midfielder Nicky Law to Rangers last summer despite the Ibrox club being two leagues below McCall's side.

And reports suggest that Rangers manager Ally McCoist has now targeted Newcastle-born Hutchinson, who came through the youth ranks at Fir Park and is out of contract in the summer.

"I have discussed players with Coisty over the last two years, but Hutchy's name has never come up," insisted McCall.

"There's one lad playing for him at this minute in time that I had a chat with him about last summer, so I'm sure he would call this time, even if it was just to get a feel for a player's background."

McCall said that, although it is "well-documented" that McCoist was seeking a central defender, he thought there would be be other players more of interest to the Ibrox club.

"I have a meeting with our chief executive, Leanne Dempster, next week, when we will discuss budgets and what we can offer for next season," said the Motherwell boss.

"It's down to us to put an offer to Shaun. He hasn't knocked anything back yet because he's not been offered anything."

While McCall thought it "highly unlikely" that Hutchinson would stay, he has reminded the defender of the problems faced by fellow Englishman Tom Hateley last summer.

The versatile Hateley rejected a new deal at Fir Park in hope of winning a contract in his homeland but then did not find a club until September.

Even then, his spell at League One outfit Tranmere Rovers only lasted four months before he exited for Polish club Slask Wroclaw.

"I've said to him that he doesn't want to find himself in the situation that a few of the lads did last season not knowing where they are going to go," said McCall.

"I'm not saying anything about going to play in Poland, but I'm sure Tom Hateley would prefer to be playing his football in Britain.

"Knowing the big, daft Geordie Mr Hutchinson as I do, I don't see him fitting in over there.

"His agent might have some clubs down in England willing to take a look at him, but it's different to having a contract sitting there waiting."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26689186

And Miller is going to stop them winning ten in a row?,rubbish, we have enough experience and great pros for the young guys to look up to in Jig,Daly,Wallace. Aird has been developing nicely and is improving all the time, Gallagher has been a breathe of fresh air and we still have Clark who will improve as well, we need players that are going to be good enough for the top league. How many strikers do you want?,our defense is priority, IMO.

I have already said we will have to weed out the players from the squad that are not good enough.

There's no need for that mate. Miller would have 10 other players helping him in a team unit stopping Celtic. A team of Millers could do it, a team of Littles, Clarks and Dalys won't. It's not hard to understand we need to up the quality in the squad. Miller is undoubted quality and easily better than what we have.

Jig is done, finished, he can hardly run nowadays and will be a liability the higher up we go. Daly is mediocre and Wallace may not be here much longer and even if he stays one player of that experience is not enough. I don't agree Aird is improving, i just don't see it. Clark imo won't make it here. Gallagher yes has had a nice introduction into the team but it's very early days for him.

How many strikers do i want? How many defenders do you want? We have 9 centre backs and you want more and only 3 strikers, 4 at a push but 2 of them the manager regularly plays out of position elsewhere.

The whole team is a priority, we have possibly 2 or 3 maximum right now who will be any use challenging Celtic and competing in the SPL, the rest must be moved on as soon as possible for our return to the big time.

There's no need for that mate. Miller would have 10 other players helping him in a team unit stopping Celtic. A team of Millers could do it, a team of Littles, Clarks and Dalys won't. It's not hard to understand we need to up the quality in the squad. Miller is undoubted quality and easily better than what we have.

Jig is done, finished, he can hardly run nowadays and will be a liability the higher up we go. Daly is mediocre and Wallace may not be here much longer and even if he stays one player of that experience is not enough. I don't agree Aird is improving, i just don't see it. Clark imo won't make it here. Gallagher yes has had a nice introduction into the team but it's very early days for him.

How many strikers do i want? How many defenders do you want? We have 9 centre backs and you want more and only 3 strikers, 4 at a push but 2 of them the manager regularly plays out of position elsewhere.

The whole team is a priority, we have possibly 2 or 3 maximum right now who will be any use challenging Celtic and competing in the SPL, the rest must be moved on as soon as possible for our return to the big time.

Look!,once again we disagree,you want Miller I don't,so I'll leave it there,I can't be arsed with you're right and anybody else is wrong.

But it's not a case of that, please don't drag it down. Debate it properly. Argue against it, don't throw the towel in so cheaply. This forum is supposed to be about proper debate, reasoned debate so let's have it. I believe i have put it across to you respectfully. You on the other hand have came out with "rubbish" "look!" Telling me i think i am right and anybody else is wrong when that is simply not the case.

Don't know too much about Shaun Hutchison but really hope that Ally sees central defence as a priority for strengthening. Jig and Moshni have done all right agains the opposition of this season but we need more pace at the back. No one knows if we can afford to bring in new blokes and this seems the ideal time to let Gasporotto and Halkett have a few games, not necessarily together, to see what they can do.

I certainly wouldn't want Miller back. I always feel we should never go back but look forward. It has been proven in most cases a player returning to a team seldom hits the heights of the past. If he was 28 then I may agree but he is now too old and has lost most of his speed.

Not for me.

I certainly wouldn't want Miller back. I always feel we should never go back but look forward. It has been proven in most cases a player returning to a team seldom hits the heights of the past. If he was 28 then I may agree but he is now too old and has lost most of his speed.

Not for me.

Doesn't excite me either but what's the alternative?

But it's not a case of that, please don't drag it down. Debate it properly. Argue against it, don't throw the towel in so cheaply. This forum is supposed to be about proper debate, reasoned debate so let's have it. I believe i have put it across to you respectfully. You on the other hand have came out with "rubbish" "look!" Telling me i think i am right and anybody else is wrong when that is simply not the case.

I don't want Miller back, you do,how can it be debated?, sorry if you're upset with the word rubbish,you always come across as you know best,what can be debated about me not wanting Miller back and you do?. Football is not an exact science,which makes us all love the game, but don't start trying to accuse me of throwing the towel in so cheaply,how is it possible to debate something that you have no interest in listening to other peoples point of view?, you can say all you want about any player and why you think it is right, but at the end of the day it is only your opinion,just the same as it is mine thinking bringing back Miller is a step back.

You came back with how many defenders do I want!,do we have any?, I'm old fashioned in that I believe in building a team from the back,you want Miller in to stop Celtic racking up title after title!, I believe we should be trying to promote our younger players with the experience players we have,I'm not against bringing in other strikers as such, I just don't feel that is our weakest part in the team, in fact the strikers we have are as good as any of the top league,outwith the BHEASTS,even then we could compete in that department, our defense is suspect so if we can be tight and strong at the back then we have a chance of beating any team,within reason.

Doesn't excite me either but what's the alternative?

I don't get that mate. Why do you think it is Miller or nothing, There are thousands of players out there better than Millar.

And can we identify and sign these superior players? He's better than what we have and I don't see us signing anyone as good or better.

We don't have any scouts. Our signing policy is based on SPFL players, players we play against and players Ally likes. None of those options fill me with any confidence.