So sayest the Scottish Sun

RANGERS are eyeing a summer swoop for Motherwell defender Shaun Hutchinson.

Ibrox manager Ally McCoist is waiting to discover his playing budget for a tilt at promotion to the top flight next term.

SunSport understands Well ace Hutch features on the Gers gaffer’s list of targets — should he get the go-ahead to make a string of signings.

Hutchinson, 23, has been one of Well’s most consistent players in the last few seasons.

However he hasn’t signed a new deal and Fir Park gaffer Stuart McCall is resigned to losing him on a free transfer this summer.

McCoist will be in the market for a new defender as Brazilian Emilson Cribari heads for the exit door.

Hutchinson is attracting interest from several English Championship clubs and would have no shortage of takers.

But McCoist, who signed Nicky Law from Well last summer, is a big admirer and could try to convince him to stay in Scotland.

Hutchinson fits the bill in terms of experience and age, but Gers cannot make a move until chief executive Graham Wallace completes his 120-day review of the Ibrox club.

That delay will give other clubs a head start in the race to sign the defender, but McCoist will continue to monitor the situation.

Can't say I have seen much of him, FFers rate him as good talent (though the Yahoos were linked with him in January). Like Gavin Gunning (whom we'll see in April) of the Arabs a freebie this summer.

Cribari is for the off, as are probably Perry and Hegarty. We have to see how any youth player shapes up in these last few months as well, but competition next season will be more demanding and getting experienced freebies on two-years deals et al is still No. 1 option.

I'd rather we used Faure and Mohsni and used Gasparotto as back up.

If we're to cut costs then losing Perry, Cribari and possibly Hegary shouldn't hurt us too much though I guess signing one more centre-half if indeed these three do move on is probably a good idea.

I'd rather we got a scouting network and actually found some proper talent and didn't just sign crumbs from the SPFL.

100% agree....however, that will take time. The key is - is this guy better than what we currently have???

I think Faure has done well @ CB when played there. As others have also said, seeing more of Gasparotto in a competitive environment would be beneficial.

Our youngsters' problem always has been that as far as I can remember back we've gone with seasoned pros first. There are a variety of reasons, but all Rangers managers "fear/-ed" defeat more than anything and rather buy defensive talent than look at our youngsters, unless they look to be real "gems" like Danny Wilson. You may always get away with midfielders or strikers, but defenders and goalies apparently carried a special danger (for the coaches) and have it hardest to come through. I would have thought Smith (and McCoist) had learned as early as the Marseille home tie that relying only on old hands can put you back in times of need ... as we had to throw Pressley and Murray into the fray virtually untried. But not much changed and last and this season might have been the biggest chance for any talented defender to make a break-through. This season could have been Hegarty's and Perry's, or, for that matter, Gasparotto's and McAusland's. After the roller-coaster last year though Ally decided to swap experience for youth and whether you like the displays/quality or not, the facts speak volumes. I doubt that we will see too many* new youth players making a breakthrough till we are back at top level, especially not in defence. The club should arrange some decent youth exchange / loan deal with a low-key English team, rather than sending our folk to East Fife, Queen's Park or the like - with no disrespect at all. For not only will competition down there be harder, but the teams will most likely be able to pay for these loan deals as well.

Why we do not utilize our former foreign players as scouts et al is obvious a question that needs answered too.

*i.e. 3 or 4