That is scandalous. UEFA's match officials, delegates and backroom staff at the game should get sanctioned for nonsense like this.

The match officials have to check that the names on the team sheets correspond with the players' passports, whilst the match delegtate is there to report on the match itself and I don't think he would have a list of suspended players. In any event it is the responsibility of each Club to ensure that all the players they list are eligible to play. If the delegate did have a list and was charged with that responsibility, which I doubt, then presumably he would have indicated that the player was not eligible as soon as he checked the team sheet, so the situation would not have arisen.

I don't know what other "backroom staff" might be in attendance or what their roles might be.

I assume that there must be some central checking system or it is entirely possible that UEFA rely on the other team in match to protest if they check and find an issue, as happens in domestic football.

Has there been any information on how this was discovered?

If it's on the Legia web site, did they self report?

There is still nothing on the UEFA web site and they are currently listing Legia Warszawa in the CL Champions Route play-off matches.

If there is a genuine issue then it will have to be resolved by 10.00CET because Celtic would be seeded whereas Legia are not, so they cannot put in an either/or in the draw. Ludogorets Razgrad of Bulgaria, surprise conquerors of Partizan Belgrade on two away goals are interested parties because if Celtic go into the draw as seeds then they will drop down to the non-seeds. Rather than postpone or run the risk of a re-draw, it may well be that if the issue cannot be decided before 10.00 CET then UEFA will simply say that Celtic would take Legia's place as an unseeded team if they are awarded the tie. They could hardly complain given the actual result but could then find themselves up against Steaua Bucuresti or Bate Borisov, neither of which would be an appealing prospect I suspect.

Celtic may actually prefer the ELQ4 route to the EL Group stages, as I said earlier, it should present a negotiable tie and a tough but not impossible group; both of which might be better than a difficult CLQ4 tie with the very real possibility of humiliation were they to reach the CL Group stages. However, as Rangersitis rightly points out below, a defeat in the CLQ4 would see Celtic parachute into the EL Group stage anyway.

This all seems very unlikely however, I expect the result to stand.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Correction thanks to Rangersitis!

There is no way that the player could have influenced the result,being 6-1 up when he came on!

That isn't what Legia will be judged on initially, although it may be taken into account when/if a punishment is being handed down.

The match officials have to check that the names on the team sheets correspond with the players' passports, whilst the match delegtate is there to report on the match itself and I don't think he would have a list of suspended players. In any event it is the responsibility of each Club to ensure that all the players they list are eligible to play. If the delegate did have a list and was charged with that responsibility, which I doubt, then presumably he would have indicated that the player was not eligible as soon as he checked the team sheet, so the situation would not have arisen.

I don't know what other "backroom staff" might be in attendance or what their roles might be.

I assume that there must be some central checking system or it is entirely possible that UEFA rely on the other team in match to protest if they check and find an issue, as happens in domestic football.

Has there been any information on how this was discovered?

If it's on the Legia web site, did they self report?

There is still nothing on the UEFA web site and they are currently listing Legia Warszawa in the CL Champions Route play-off matches.

If there is a genuine issue then it will have to be resolved by 10.00CET because Celtic would be seeded whereas Legia are not, so they cannot put in an either/or in the draw. Ludogorets Razgrad of Bulgaria, surprise conquerors of Partizan Belgrade on two away goals are interested parties because if Celtic go into the draw as seeds then they will drop down to the non-seeds. Rather than postpone or run the risk of a re-draw, it may well be that if the issue cannot be decided before 10.00 CET then UEFA will simply say that Celtic would take Legia's place as an unseeded team if they are awarded the tie. They could hardly complain given the actual result but could then find themselves up against Steaua Bucuresti or Bate Borisov, neither of which would be an appealing prospect I suspect.

Celtic may actually prefer the ELQ4 route to the EL Group stages, as I said earlier, it should present a negotiable tie and a tough but not impossible group; both of which might be better than a difficult CLQ4 tie with the very real possibility of humiliation were they to reach the CL Group stages.

This all seems very unlikely however, I expect the result to stand.

Why would they prefer a qualifier for the EL when a defeat in the CL qualifier would see them parachute into the EL group stage anyway?

That isn't what Legia will be judged on initially, although it may be taken into account when/if a punishment is being handed down.

That's correct. There are two issues here.

1. Did an ineligble player participate in the match?

2. What punishment would be appropriate?

The actual result on the field of play may or may not be taken into account in deciding on the punishment; though there appears to be a precedent for that, the actual circumstances of any breach this time will be the most relevant factor I would think.

Why would they prefer a qualifier for the EL when a defeat in the CL qualifier would see them parachute into the EL group stage anyway?

Very good point, I missed that.

The only thing is that it would be better from a Scottish point of view if they won one or two EL qualifiers than lost both CL qualifiers; but you are perfectly correct. Too early in the morning and I didn't see the wood for the trees.

I have taken the liberty of adding a sentence to #101 and credited you accordingly.

That's correct. There are two issues here.

1. Did an ineligble player participate in the match?

2. What punishment would be appropriate?

The actual result on the field of play may or may not be taken into account in deciding on the punishment; though there appears to be a precedent for that, the actual circumstances of any breach this time will be the most relevant factor I would think.

A precedent was set with Debrecan in 2010. Unlucky bhoys

This thing just doesn't stack up.

Even if the player who required to be substituted was on his knees with exhaustion would the team with a 6-1 lead not substitute a player, even with a goalkeeper, who was free from controversy rather than anyone who had a whiff of anything that would contravene the rules.

It just feels like this is too convenient, for the scum, to be true.

How dumb do UEFA think the fans of Europe are?