It's not working very well right now.

If it was explained to McCoist that his year's notice was kicking in immediately, and with the possibility that he could win a new contract if the team wins the division, he has every incentive to perform.

If, however, he was to fail in these circumstances, parting would be so much cheaper. Putting him in a position where he is given the opportunity to win a new contract should ensure that there is no slacking. If anything, it should concentrated minds and see a benefit.

You don't need to persuade me but Andrew McCormick (his agent/advisor) may prove more difficult to convince.

What McCoist will look for is a 'credible exit' that will pay.

If his credibility is under threat he may be less difficult to deal with.

As for credibility as a football manager, he has none and will never get offered another first team job by a team at any reasonable level.

There is a part-solution.

As previously stated in another thread, put him on the year's notice that his rolling contract requires - now.

This way, when he does leave, it'll be less costly when the day comes.

The players are unfit as it is, they'll train even less if they know he's on his notice

I've yet to see one good reason why he shouldn't be put on a year's notice with immediate effect.

I'll keep my answer simpler this time.

It could cause a serious divide in the dressing room as players would inevitably take sides like happened under PLG.

It could cause a serious divide in the dressing room as players would inevitably take sides like happened under PLG.

We have that many players coming into the last 6 months of their contracts that that is going to happen anyway , and better getting someone in now instead of letting Ally make decisions on 2 or 3 year contracts , his record is truly appalling

We have that many players coming into the last 6 months of their contracts that that is going to happen anyway , and better getting someone in now instead of letting Ally make decisions on 2 or 3 year contracts , his record is truly appalling

That is a scary thought, right enough

You don't need to persuade me but Andrew McCormick (his agent/advisor) may prove more difficult to convince.

What McCoist will look for is a 'credible exit' that will pay.

If his credibility is under threat he may be less difficult to deal with.

As for credibility as a football manager, he has none and will never get offered another first team job by a team at any reasonable level.

For me this is the biggest reason he is clinging on. He must know deep down he is finished/not good enough as a football manager.

But how can he turn his back on the big (way too big) pay packet? That is understandable to an extent, he has his future income to think of. He is certainly not going to be inundated with other managerial offers is he?

I hate that it hasn't worked out for him and we have to criticise a man who is a genuine Rangers legend but common sense has to prevail. Rangers football team is stagnating under Ally's stewardship.

The longer the change of manager is delayed the harder it will be for whoever it is that replaces him and has to pick up the pieces.

Worst part is, due to the relentless cash burn/lining of pockets our glorious leaders cannot afford to replace Ally. As others have pointed out we just can't afford the pay-off.

The players will know that their future at Rangers depends on winning this division, or at the very least, being promoted.

Not much changes for them if Ally goes on a year's notice period. With or without him they must succeed. If they fail, half of them, and possibly more, will follow the manager out the door.

If Ally is put on notice now, the message is a simple one: earn yourself a new contract. If he can't cope with that, he has no business being here.

This is an excellent point rbr because we desperately need to cut loose some of the deadwood and freshen the squad up..... BIG TIME!!!

I think the following 1st team players are out of contract at the end of this season:

Black

Boyd

Daly

Faure

Foster

Hutton

McCulloch

McGregor

Miller

Mohsni

Robinson

Simonsen

Smith

Then there's important decisions to be made on certain young lads too and those are decisions which should definitely involve the 1st team manager.

There's some good young prospects who've reportedly been refusing new contracts and/or extensions like Telfer did this year.