2003/2004 1 Barclaycard Premiership 5th/20 38 11 5 3 33 14 2 12 5 19 26 13 17 8 52 40 56

2002/2003 1 Barclaycard Premiership 3rd/20 38 15 2 2 36 17 6 4 9 27 31 21 6 11 63 48 69

2001/2002 1 F.A. Barclaycard Premiership 4th/20 38 12 3 4 40 23 9 5 5 34 29 21 8 9 74 52 71

As in: they won f*ck all. In that same period, Newcastle United won the UEFA InterToto Cup in 2006. That was pre-Ashley of course, but if you fling figures of a decade ago about ...

I won't bother addressing your illogical BVB point.

Depends on the "logic" you throw into the debate, see above. I doubt that Borussia will stay at 14th when May happens by and while you can attempt predictions about Newcastle's final position to your heart's content, it is very much open to debate still. Well, they won't make the top four ... for obvious reasons.

I've previously explained to you why Ashley invests in Rangers and it's not a mutually beneficial arrangement.

So here goes again it's a real simple formula.

Sports Direct trades on a P/E ratio of circa 20 which means each £1m of profit has a market value (in share price terms) of £20m, Ashley holds circa 54% of the Sports Direct shares ergo giving him personally circa £10m for every £m profit that he can extract from Rangers. Merchandise profits of circa £5m could well be attained and that would be worth circa £100m to Sports Direct and circa half that to Ashley, not a bad return for an investment of circa £2m and that doesn't include the value to Sports Direct of the free advertising when Ibrox is eventually splattered with Sports Direct sign and banners et al.

Apparently I missed that first time explanation of yours. I assume that the 1m to 20m is an assumption of yours, including that he will make 5m from us (every season)? As the latter would mean that people actually buy his stuff.

Anyway, if we are such a goldmine for him, do you expect to keep us on a back-burner investment-wise? Not least if he can make much more than the above should he get us into the top tier, TV and Europe?

What he most likely will do, no matter what, is safeguarding his investment against another possible admin event. That is the only "positive" an Ashley can bring, i.e. keeping Rangers in business. Something the current board apparently can not.

There is no sliver of doubt that King would - when it comes to us - shade any contest about new ownership and business plans by a country mile. People would probably hare back to Ibrox by next week if he gets involved. As long as he does not though, the prospect of an Ashley deal is very much possible too, dire as it might be.

I look across the city and see what can be reached with a biscuit tin attitude, I look down South and across Europe and see what can be achieved with sugar daddy's running the show, football is dominated with rich bloke's looking for a 'fix' while running a top football club and the attention that goes with it, invites to special dinners and such are irresistible to these types, they all want a place at the top table and Rangers arguably are a bigger club than most of them. Maybe Ashley is looking for that table since he's already reached 'elite' status on other fronts.

Newcastle will never give him that ticket.

One day all these 'rich' clubs will get passed on to who wants to play the game when their owners get 'fed up' and look for other ways to enjoy their leisure. This will go on and on and it's imperative we get on board.

I look across the city and see what can be reached with a biscuit tin attitude, I look down South and across Europe and see what can be achieved with sugar daddy's running the show, football is dominated with rich bloke's looking for a 'fix' while running a top football club and the attention that goes with it, invites to special dinners and such are irresistible to these types, they all want a place at the top table and Rangers arguably are a bigger club than most of them. Maybe Ashley is looking for that table since he's already reached 'elite' status on other fronts.

One day all these 'rich' clubs will get passed on to who wants to play the game when their owners get 'fed up' and look for other ways to enjoy their leisure. This will go on and on and it's imperative we get on board.

across the city they make 5 million from shirt sales profit. we make zero so far as we can tell.

across the city they make 5 million from shirt sales profit. we make zero so far as we can tell.

Maybe so, and it may well be an accurate picture you present. only Rangers as a club moving forward is all that interests me and Ashley with all his money looks the best option.

But no doubt you'll find something to change my mind. :D

Apparently I missed that first time explanation of yours. I assume that the 1m to 20m is an assumption of yours, including that he will make 5m from us (every season)? As the latter would mean that people actually buy his stuff.

Not an assumption at but a fact that's how the great and the good of the stock market place a valuation but no doubt you'll know different. Didn't those across the city just report a merchandising of £4.8m ?

Anyway, if we are such a goldmine for him, do you expect to keep us on a back-burner investment-wise? Not least if he can make much more than the above should he get us into the top tier, TV and Europe?

Ye Olde "he can only make money by making us a success" chestnut. Did you not learn anything from spouting that re Whyte and Green?

What he most likely will do, no matter what, is safeguarding his investment against another possible admin event. That is the only "positive" an Ashley can bring, i.e. keeping Rangers in business. Something the current board apparently can not.

Depends how you define "positive", is having us finish 3rd bottom of the top tier year in year out a success so long as it avoids an administration event or is merely avoiding administration in itself positive enough?

There is no sliver of doubt that King would - when it comes to us - shade any contest about new ownership and business plans by a country mile. People would probably hare back to Ibrox by next week if he gets involved. As long as he does not though, the prospect of an Ashley deal is very much possible too, dire as it might be.

And a King and Ashley deal is something you don't countenance?

There is absolutely no doubt that if Mike Ashley wants us badly enough then he will get us but while we know exactly what he would get out of such a scenario is crystal clear indications from his running of Newcastle don't emit an abundance of positivity in our direction.

Comeback David Murray all is forgiven?