Ross County chief: chaos at Ibrox has caused sponsor delays...

On listening to the various stakeholders discussing the new EPL deal announcement the other night, I couldnt help but think just how different the two countries were.

One is run professionally, with great positive PR, broadcasters falling over themselves to outbid each other for the rights, full stadiums, top players, and worldwide appeal. They made a big thing about the fact that the stadiums were full and with large travelling supports in attendance this led to a great atmosphere coming across on tv and this is what worldwide viewers loved.

Now move across Hadrians wall and see Ross County play Partick Thistle in front of about 2,000 people with about 100 of those away supporters, no atmosphere, no quality, no drama of relegation and teams desperate to stay up, no 4 CL places for the aspiring teams to aim for. We have a 1/50 favourite for a non-existent title race, the two teams relegated last season are in better shape than at least 2/3 of the teams in the league above them, outwith celtic no side has paid more than £250K for a player in years.

In what universe can the SPFL "insider" believe that our country's football can piggy-back onto the EPL deal and get a substantially increased offer for our game, just because the EPL have run their game professionally and can command big deals?

On listening to the various stakeholders discussing the new EPL deal announcement the other night, I couldnt help but think just how different the two countries were.

One is run professionally, with great positive PR, broadcasters falling over themselves to outbid each other for the rights, full stadiums, top players, and worldwide appeal. They made a big thing about the fact that the stadiums were full and with large travelling supports in attendance this led to a great atmosphere coming across on tv and this is what worldwide viewers loved.

Now move across Hadrians wall and see Ross County play Partick Thistle in front of about 2,000 people with about 100 of those away supporters, no atmosphere, no quality, no drama of relegation and teams desperate to stay up, no 4 CL places for the aspiring teams to aim for. We have a 1/50 favourite for a non-existent title race, the two teams relegated last season are in better shape than at least 2/3 of the teams in the league above them, outwith celtic no side has paid more than £250K for a player in years.

In what universe can the SPFL "insider" believe that our country's football can piggy-back onto the EPL deal and get a substantially increased offer for our game, just because the EPL have run their game professionally and can command big deals?

what you don't do in a small country like ours is throw the biggest club out of the top division and all the revenue it brought with it.

And who can forget in the summer of 2012 when Rangers were stupidly voted out the SPL, the sight of Doncaster & Liewell strolling thro' the airport departure lounge as they went to sign a SKY TV deal worth peanuts just to try & prove they didn't need Rangers ?

Scottish football is on its knees and skint. Similar smaller countries such as Norway, Holland etc have vastly superior TV deals.

If Kingco win this EGM I realise PM & JG will have much to do at Rangers but one of their top priorities must be the removal of Doncaster, Liewell & Regan from their positions in Scottish football.

Let us make our own bed up before trying to conquer the rest of the world.

Agree with all of that, TB

As I said on the other thread, Doncaster told me at the time that the broadcasters have no interest in any Scottish games outside Rangers v Celtic and to a much lesser extent Hearts v Hibs. Therefore they are lucky to have any deal at all right now (SKY could have cancelled when Rangers were put out) but on the other hand once Rangers are back, and more importantly back challenging, the product acquires some value again.

As you point out this is especially true for Rangers and Celtic away games because of the atmosphere created by the travelling support.

Making comparisons between the Scottish and English leagues is pointless. The only way any sort of equilibrium can be restored is if Sky go bust, most analysts agree they've paid too much for the rights so it's not impossible but is unlikely. In the meantime hundreds of small Scottish boys are starting to support English club sides instead of Scottish ones. We'll become Ireland within a generation as things stand.

The only way to make Scottish football more attractive is to make it more competitive. That involves spreading the little money there is around more evenly. Those currently with the money don't want to do that. Then some imagination is required and there's precious little of that around in Scottish football. I've come to believe that we're the last generation of Scottish club fans.

Making comparisons between the Scottish and English leagues is pointless. The only way any sort of equilibrium can be restored is if Sky go bust, most analysts agree they've paid too much for the rights so it's not impossible but is unlikely. In the meantime hundreds of small Scottish boys are starting to support English club sides instead of Scottish ones. We'll become Ireland within a generation as things stand.

The only way to make Scottish football more attractive is to make it more competitive. That involves spreading the little money there is around more evenly. Those currently with the money don't want to do that. Then some imagination is required and there's precious little of that around in Scottish football. I've come to believe that we're the last generation of Scottish club fans.

said it before and I'll say it again, a 50/50 split at the gate is the way to go. It allows smaller clubs to develop youth systems which in turn improves the entire game.

said it before and I'll say it again, a 50/50 split at the gate is the way to go. It allows smaller clubs to develop youth systems which in turn improves the entire game.

That would only be fair if it was a 50/50 split of net profits after policing, staffing, stewarding costs, tax etc etc...... Otherwise, the bigger clubs with bigger stadiums and much higher costs would be out of business within 3 years.

I think Zappa makes some good points, although that in itself isn't disagreeing with the point that you're making.

I do disagree with you though, as it means that a club needs to keep half its season ticket money for other teams, and means that some clubs who don't bother their backside get rewarded for making no effort. It should mean that the old firm end up with a lot less quality and therefore will do worse in Europe meaning less cash in the Scottish game. The resultant league may be more competitive but that doesn't mean a higher quality. I think that it would bring everyone down rather than bring everyone else up.

I'm also not sure that the premise of giving smaller clubs more money means more getting spent on youth systems necessarily holds up. They may just spend it on transfer fees and players' wages.

I'm not sure anyone connected with Rangers - staff, players or fans - can talk about anyone else not getting bothering their backsides. We're in no position to talk about others - it took our club nearly dying twice to motivate us into getting off our arses.