Daily Record back page

Out of all of the stuff I have read about them since yesterday, I think this is the classiest. I am not very keen on Commons, but credit where it is due.

Take your lumps and get on with it.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/8084

Commons: We have to return to winning ways at Dens Park

By: Mark Henderson on 20 Apr, 2015 11:31

REFLECTING on the events of Sunday wasn’t an enviable prospect for any of the Celtic players but Kris Commons, one of the most senior members of the squad, admirably accepted the responsibility.

His view was that everyone wearing green and white had offered complete commitment to the cause. Unfortunately, Sunday was one of those rare occasions where that hadn’t been enough to see the Hoops home.

“It was a real disappointment not to win the game,” he told Celtic TV. “I thought we did enough – a few things didn’t go our way on the park. But credit to Inverness. They worked hard, put us under pressure and to score three goals against us means they always had a chance.

“We gave everything. There was nothing more we could have done. But sometimes you can do that, you can give everything and it just doesn’t work right and Sunday was evident of us working hard, trying to do all the right things and sometimes just falling that little bit short.”

Any lingering anger and sense of injustice at the death of the treble tilt must be set aside, however, as the Bhoys still have a league championship to win.

Ronny Deila’s side can enter the final five matches of the season with a commanding eight-point lead over second-placed Aberdeen by claiming victory away to Dundee on Wednesday.

The manager has stressed the need for the club to move one from their Scottish Cup disappointment and fully focus on clinching the title, and Commons continued on this theme, underlining the squad’s determination to put the pain of the Hampden defeat behind them with a polished performance at Dens Park.

“We fell that little bit short on Sunday but we’ll be looking to bounce back against Dundee on Wednesday night,” Commons said.

“We’ll be looking to bounce back, put in a good performance and win the match because we’ve still got a league title to win and that’s our main aim now, to win our remaining fixtures and win in style.”

A few Gersnetters may remember the Heid Bummer of ra Sellik Supporters Association, Joe O'Rourke?

He used to issue a weekly statement to ra Faithful on the official website, pith and victimhood. He was withdrawn hors de combat by Peter after he expressed a wish that those who had built the Titanic at Harland and Wolf, had remained on it during it's maiden voyage. Well, that and a big shout out to the Rocket Launchers CSC at their annual PotY Dinner. Joe hail hails from Port Glasgow.

Anyways, Joe has returned in the wake of yesterday's hilarious events. His piece is entitled, 'Operation Stop the Treble' and does not disappoint. He mentions referee, Stevie McLean's brother beginning his career at a now dead club and over eggs it by stating, "he didn't want to be considered for an international call-up by Scotland; he wanted to represent Norn Ireland. Someone should have informed him; that you have to be actually a decent player to get capped; being a bigot doesn't quite do it in most countries".

Strongly, I suspect that last line may be actionable.

I imagine Paul McGowan might be receiving a call from Joe, asking for the telephone number of the Solicitor that managed to keep him out of the jail, after a third conviction for Police Assault.

Edited by 26th of foot

I have seen the replays of that penalty incident, and there's no doubt it was handball, the refs view was blocked by a green and grey jersey as was the far linesmans, the other official behind the bye line saw what looked like it hit the defender in the face, that was an understandable assumption from his viewpoint, the defender cleverly threw his head back as if it hit him in the face that's what the official on the bye line saw from his position.

Besides the defender said on tv tonight it did hit his hand but because the ball had been struck so close to him he had no time of intentionally playing a hand ball. The officials all missed it, thanks to their positioning, a nice slice of luck which happens from time to time in football, there's no way all three refs decided to cheat timmy as it just wouldn't have worked in that incident.

At the end of the day, if only one of the three refs had been another step from where they actually were at that vital split second the penalty would have been given and ICT would have been down to ten men and looking at 0-2.

It turned out much different though, and like all ICT, Falkirk and Rangers fans I'm absolutely f*cking delighted about that. :flute:

I don't think it was deliberate but his arm was in an unnatural position so was definitely a pen.

There's no issue with that conclusion just the fact that Celtic clearly think they've been cheated which is a disgrace.

As I said at the time and as Bearman pointed out above, I doubt that the ICT chap knew much about it and actually had his eyes closed. While the ball struck his hand, I will always have sympathy for the defender (ours, theirs, or any other teams'), as he cannot retract his arm or hand and make it vanish to no-where. I doubt he even had the time to think to put it behind his back.

The main point here is that this happens every now and then and all over the place. The circus that happens when it is against the Scum is what makes this different though. From top to bottom grey-green people cry death, blood, and vengeance, look for to slaughter someone and cause all sorts of anguish. You do wonder what sort of mail Mr. Muir has received since that game. Yet, if it happens for them,it is suddenly all part and parcel of the game and the manager (much ingrained in their way of thinking by now, it seems) actually defends the diver ...

2q99awp.jpg

... who likewise keeps his mouth shut at the time. But then again, they also go to great lengths to defend people like Tonev and Griffiths ...

Why would he be sent off its clearly accidental

It is never accidental in a million years.

I ran the line for John Gordon (JRP Gordon, Newport on Tay, some older folk will remember the name) at Wembley and his take was that if a player has his hands up or out wide and the ball hits his hands then it is deliberate hand ball, because he has his hands up deliberately.

That always made sense to me.

Hands being in an "unnatural position" is just modern parlance for the same thing.

If it had happened against us, we would be up in arms (pardon the pun); but I'd like to think we wouldn't be flashing off letters to the SFA.

Edited by BrahimHemdani