Rangers could face punishment over sectarian chanting

As we were criminally thrown into the bottom division and forced to accept an illegal transfer ban he wrote of us as a moaning bunch and described us (as we lay near death) as "a club you'd never tire of punching in the face".) Ergo, I do not have said 'time for him'.

Hmmm, so how do other Rangers fans arrive at the opposite conclusion?

I'm sure he's been equally dismissive of the Tim fraternity too. A Falkirk supporter, he subscribes to the 'plague on both your houses' view.

Has he described them as a club (not the fans, note, the club) that he'd never tire of punching in the face while it was struggling to survive?

Having been at all but one home game this season(granddaughter's xmas party at my bowling club) As a season ticket holder the singing of the song has been quite low key when our crowds are around 40,000 but when crowds are 45,000 plus it is more predominant.

It may be a foolish thought but perhaps those who are getting paper tickets and not attending regularly are not adhering to the warning re singing broadcast before each home game.

aye but it's "the Brig'ton Billy Boys".... can't change that in my view

I'd say that's the kind of thinking that caused us so much problems over the last decade - people refuse to adapt and modernise and we are seen as a dinosaur that needs to be castrated.

The strange thing about your view is that the song you want to sing doesn't seem to be about Rangers - the Brig'ton Billy Boys were a violent razor gang.

I always wonder some why Rangers fans would rather not sing about Rangers but instead sing about stuff that damages the image of the club and brings harm to it. It really is an attitude we need to change.

I'd say that's the kind of thinking that caused us so much problems over the last decade - people refuse to adapt and modernise and we are seen as a dinosaur that needs to be castrated.

The strange thing about your view is that the song you want to sing doesn't seem to be about Rangers - the Brig'ton Billy Boys were a violent razor gang.

I always wonder some why Rangers fans would rather not sing about Rangers but instead sing about stuff that damages the image of the club and brings harm to it. It really is an attitude we need to change.

Very much so, yet, those who want to go on belting TBB will point at "Penny Arcade" or the Hammers' "Blowing Bubbles" song, who have next to nothing to do with football or the clubs. of course, these songs will not harm the club or make others to take offense.

As I said before (and since 2007), if TBB shall make a reappearance, those staunch defenders should address UEFA and the SFA and try to explain that it is no more "vile" and discriminatory than the Marseillaise or GstQ (sung in similar surroundings and circumstances, BTW), nor is it bound to lead people commiting the acts being sung about. Nor is it more vile and discriminatory than what is sung anywhere else in Scotland or even Europe. Even if these songs are unsavoury. Looking for the club to defend a song that asks you to walk up to your knees in someone's (no matter who) blood though? You can - at best - hope that the club wants a level approach on all songs here, since right now it is essentially just us being targetted in earnest.

Is it not the "Brigton Derry Boys"?

yep....in some versions it is the "Derry Boys".................it's a song that gets us going. Nobody is really singing in support of a gang....it's all about the 'Gers.

Then there's the prelude to the song

"Come down to Brig'ton, make no delay,

That's where the Billy Boys are standing today

We chased the San Toi up the Gallowgate

We are the Brig'ton Billy (or Derry) boys."

It's a Rangers folk song

it's a song that gets us going. Nobody is really singing in support of a gang....it's all about the 'Gers.

If that's true then what's the problem with changing the words to have Rangers in it - especially if that stops harm to the club?

How can anything that harms the club and yet is still done out of beligerence be "all about the 'Gers"? That just doesn't make sense and it is obviously about another agenda.

It always seems to me to be about people trying cringingly too much to be big and hard and tough and bad and naughty... And they're not clever enough to stop an think, what do I really want to achieve here? Some people say it's about a really rousing song, so if you don't believe in the old lyrics, what is really stopping us changing a few words to be more Rangers relevant so the club doesn't get tarred with the sectarian brush?

Very much so, yet, those who want to go on belting TBB will point at "Penny Arcade" or the Hammers' "Blowing Bubbles" song, who have next to nothing to do with football or the clubs. of course, these songs will not harm the club or make others to take offense.

I thought someone would bring that up and I agree, while they are not very relevant, they are harmless. I peronally prefer songs to be about Rangers or in some way related and not interested in the likes of Penny Arcade, but I'm not actually bothered if those that aren't don't affect the reputation of the club.

As I said before (and since 2007), if TBB shall make a reappearance, those staunch defenders should address UEFA and the SFA and try to explain that it is no more "vile" and discriminatory than the Marseillaise or GstQ (sung in similar surroundings and circumstances, BTW),

I'm not sure I agree with your comparisons, the French don't sing about killing any particular creed, just generically those that try to attack them, or enslave them in some way. GstQ only has two offical verses and they don't discriminate either (in case you're referring to that 6th verse about General Wade) - and pathetically few British people know more than the first verse out of the two (more pathetically so those that don't know the second verse but call themselves "loyalists"). If they do then can you say whom they are discriminating against?

Trouble with TBB is that while the F word has somehow been subverted, it makes us look like we want to bring violence to a certain group for no apparent reason other than hatred. It might be misunderstood but the way a load of "prods" have used the F word, we can have little substantial argument. However, change a few words and stop anyone from singing the old ones and we're good to go. We brought it upon ourselves and while the way it came about is poor for singling us out and ignoring others, we're playing the victim card while being guilty as charged.

nor is it bound to lead people commiting the acts being sung about.

I'm not sure that is true either. There has been plenty of violence and while it has generally been no worse than some other local rivalries, it's the religious and supposed race side of it that makes it more distasteful, especially as that can make it spill into other aspects of life where people suffer without attending a football match - on both sides. There is a lot of hatred out there, we have suffered from it, would it have been that bad had we not sung such songs? We keep pointing to other clubs in other countries not being treated as such - so what makes us different? Are we just victims or are we complicit?

Nor is it more vile and discriminatory than what is sung anywhere else in Scotland or even Europe. Even if these songs are unsavoury. Looking for the club to defend a song that asks you to walk up to your knees in someone's (no matter who) blood though? You can - at best - hope that the club wants a level approach on all songs here, since right now it is essentially just us being targetted in earnest.

That I agree wholeheartedly with - and it's a lot easier to do if we are seen to be condemning our own as well as everyone else and subsequently embracing change.