The service provided by BBC Scotland

They are at it again on their website advertising coverage of tonight's game with the lead in "Falkirk can go six points clear of Hibs with victory over Rangers tonight"

I'm not fussed by it - no point in saying "runaway leaders Rangers can go 17 points clear with a victory tonight". Not a newsworthy headline :D

Just a wee update,below is an email I received today from the BBC trust,I have already sent an email to Mr Ian Small and copied in the the BBC trust.

I'm not sure how long I should give Mr Ian Small to give me an acceptable response," I would note that I will consider the points you raise and be back in touch in due course", was sent by email to me on March 16th,so I reckon I will give him until April 16th and then follow it up directly with the BBC trust!.

Is that a fair amount of time for him to respond?

Dear Mr ian1964

Thank you for your email to the Trust on 14 March.

I have checked the BBC Complaints system and can see that Nicola Egerton in BBC Audience Services wrote to you on 16 March. She suggested that if you remain dissatisfied with their reply you can take your complaint on to Stage 2 of the complaints process and write to Ian Small, at the address given, within 20 working days.

I should explain that the formal complaints process means complaints can be dealt with in a logical progression from the BBC to the Trust. The Trust is the third and final stage in the process.

Complainants appeal to the Trust if they remain dissatisfied after their earlier correspondence with the BBC. This system means that those most closely involved with the complaint have an opportunity to respond to the complaint first.

However, in order to reach the Trust a complainant must have followed the full complaints process outlined here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/governance/complaints_framework/.

Complaints are answered at stage 1 by BBC Audience Services. Where a complainant remains dissatisfied after a stage 1 response, they can request a further response at stage 1 through the webform quoting their case number.

If they are still dissatisfied they may be sent to the Trust or they may be told how to escalate their complaint to stage 2. Complaints at stage 2 are investigated and answered either by the BBC’s Editorial Complaint Unit or by a senior manager within the BBC.

The Trust represents the third and final stage in the process and as such we are not in a position to respond to your complaint.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Annie Flury

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

BBC Trust

180 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QZ

Good stuff Ian and power to your efforts.

As an observation to other fans in Scotland, would it not help Ian's case if more BBC contributors complained as Ian has?

I personally would say not to go gung ho. Choose our moments and complain. If the BBC have no link to Rangers on Saturday then yes we have another right to complain. I would say a lengthy line of complaints is better than 100 people jumping on the old bandwagon.

I personally would say not to go gung ho. Choose our moments and complain. If the BBC have no link to Rangers on Saturday then yes we have another right to complain. I would say a lengthy line of complaints is better than 100 people jumping on the old bandwagon.

Whatever they complain about and whenever they wish to complain, surely, must build a dossier that can't be ignored. Especially if they all end up in the Trust's in-basket.

Whatever they complain about and whenever they wish to complain, surely, must build a dossier that can't be ignored. Especially if they all end up in the Trust's in-basket.

That is exactly what I meant. What we need is a constant complaint and not everyone jumping in at once.

That is exactly what I meant. What we need is a constant complaint and not everyone jumping in at once.

Agreed. A steady flow would be nice, all citing the same basic complaint - biased reporting and/or lack of reporting.

Dear Mr ian1964

Thank you for your email of 16 March, noting the questions you raise about BBC Scotland’s relationship with, and reporting of matters pertaining to, Rangers FC. I’m sorry that you feel your concerns have not been adequately addressed to date.

You ask if Rangers FC have banned all BBC Scotland reporters or any. BBC Scotland senior sports reporter Chris McLaughlin has had his press privileges revoked by the club, in essence banning him from reporting from within Ibrox Stadium. We believe this action to be without justification. As noted in the earlier correspondence on this issue, we also believe that it is not acceptable for any organisation, institution or body to demand who should or should not report, for BBC, on matters pertaining to that organisation. For the BBC to accede to such a wish or demand could potentially compromise the BBC’s impartiality and the trust of audiences in that impartiality. Consequently, BBC Scotland will not send journalists to Ibrox and will not attend Ibrox press conferences until this matter is resolved.

You believe that BBC Scotland is acting outside of Charter in deciding not to send journalists to Ibrox and by not attending Ibrox press conferences. I’m afraid I cannot agree with you on this point. There is no violation of Charter as a result of taking such a stance. Indeed, it is on the basis of protecting basic Charter principles, those of the BBC’s independence and impartiality, that such an action has been taken.

This does not, of course, mean that we will not report on matters pertaining to Rangers FC. BBC ALBA will provide live coverage of the Rangers v Peterhead Scottish Challenge Cup Final from Hampden on 10 April and there will be live radio and TV highlights coverage of the Rangers v Celtic Scottish Cup semi-final from Hampden on 17 April (live TV rights for this game are held by Sky – BBC Scotland will televise the Dundee United v Hibs semi-final live on 16 April).

I hope this response goes some way to offering response to the points that you raise. Should you wish to pursue your complaint, you may do so by contacting the BBC Trust within 20 working days. You can contact the BBC Trust at 180 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QZ, or by emailing trust.editorial@bbc.co.uk In such circumstances, please include the reference number attached to your complaint, as noted in the subject header to this email.

Yours sincerely

Ian Small

Head of Public Policy & Corporate Affairs

BBC Scotland