The draw for the BetFred cup will be made this evening.

RANGERS will find out their League Cup opponents this evening as the new format of the competition is launched.

The Bet Fred Cup is split into group stages for the first time ever and those groups of five will be decided at 7.30pm on Friday.

The draw is regionalised and therefore split into North and South sections with five teams in each group from their respective region. There are eight groups in total.

Each group will contain a top seed, chosen from a pool of four teams, a second seed, again from a pool of four and then three teams from the unseeded pot.

Rangers are a second seed in the south section, along with Morton, St Mirren and Queen of the South – which means they can’t face those teams at this stage.

The top seeds Gers could face are Motherwell, Partick Thistle, Hamilton or Kilmarnock.

Rangers and one of those three clubs will then be joined by three clubs from the following:

Ayr United

Livingston

Stranraer

Airdrieonians

Albion Rovers

Stenhousemuir

Queen’s Park

Clyde

Annan Athletic

Berwick Rangers

Edinburgh City

East Stirlingshire

The group winners and four best runners-up will then proceed to the final 16. The first ties in the competition will be played over the weekend of the 16/17 July. "

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/gers-face-bet-fred-cup/?

Really not enthused by this new format.

Will be interesting to see how we approach it. I assume we'll use the whole squad as part of our pre-season preparations.

Really not enthused by this new format.

Will be interesting to see how we approach it. I assume we'll use the whole squad as part of our pre-season preparations.

The league cup was played in groups when I was a youngster mate.

When I was younger, I also suffered sectional League Cup ties, two legged quarter and semi-finals too. The format was scrapped because attendances were pitiful by the mid-70s.

To watch Lawwell's pet, Alloa Chair, Michael Mulraney enthusiastically champion a 'new' elongated tournement was akin to viewing a fire in an orphanage. It's an exercise in reinventing the wheel.

Who decided on those seedings ffs

The league cup seedings has always been based on the finishing positions of clubs the season before. As we were in the second tier we are behind the top tier clubs from our geographic area.

Instead of being able to arrange friendlies against Derby or Linfield (to pick out two at random!) we now have to try to sell tickets for (potentially) our two home games against Berwick and East Stirling. All the more reason to be raging with our dreadful cup final performance.