Club Statement: Joey Barton suspended for three weeks

If you have 5 midfielders and you were offered Messi then I think it is a no-brainer you would still sign him. I think Barton and Kranjcar are in the same category(not as good as Messi) in that Warburton considered they were a lot better than what we had. I think he thought with their skill and experience we could have competed with Celtic. Unfortunately it has not worked out like that. At least yet.

I kind of agree, especially the experience part. After all, he did pursue Eustace last season for what would have been a similar role?

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

One things for sure and that's the fact that Barton's spin on Radio and Twitter is not an accurate account of what happened at training. No way would a club like ours ban a player for 3 weeks for a small misdemeanour. Said it afore will say it again, this guy will only bring more trouble if he stays.

If you have 5 midfielders and you were offered Messi then I think it is a no-brainer you would still sign him. I think Barton and Kranjcar are in the same category(not as good as Messi) in that Warburton considered they were a lot better than what we had. I think he thought with their skill and experience we could have competed with Celtic. Unfortunately it has not worked out like that. At least yet.

If our midfield dominates the match then the forwards get more chances/support!,and our defenders get more protection!.

Edited by ian1964

I agree and would add that he probably thought they were the best we could get with our limited resources. Let's not forget he persuaded Barton to join us rather than playing in the EPL (probably on lesser money but possibly with the lure of a two year contract) and also persuaded a man with 80 caps for his country to give up the easy life in the US second division.

For what it's worth I still believe that Kranjcar will come good, his early passing down the left to Wallace and Mackay before he became embroiled at Parkhead and his fabulous footwork on the edge of the County box in his cameo role on Saturday, being just two examples of what he can do. But the manager will need to give him games (starting tonight?) if he is to get back his match sharpness and the other players will need to give him the ball back when he passes and moves into open space so he can play the killer passes or shoot at goal.

I agree and would add that he probably thought they were the best we could get with our limited resources. Let's not forget he persuaded Barton to join us rather than playing in the EPL (probably on lesser money but possibly with the lure of a two year contract) and also persuaded a man with 80 caps for his country to give up the easy life in the US second division.

For what it's worth I still believe that Kranjcar will come good, his early passing down the left to Wallace and Mackay before he became embroiled at Parkhead and his fabulous footwork on the edge of the County box in his cameo role on Saturday, being just two examples of what he can do. But the manager will need to give him games (starting tonight?) if he is to get back his match sharpness and the other players will need to give him the ball back when he passes and moves into open space so he can play the killer passes or shoot at goal.

Krancjar for me just doenst have the pace ... looks like he is running in treacle. Especially in the role he was expected to play against Celtic he just couldnt get up and down the pitch quick enough to be effective.

In games where we truly dominate the football yes he can be an asset but it comes at the loss of protecting our fragile back 4. And in games against decent opposition that is a big risk.

Just to add i thought he was a damn good signing at first.

Krancjar for me just doenst have the pace ... looks like he is running in treacle. Especially in the role he was expected to play against Celtic he just couldnt get up and down the pitch quick enough to be effective.

In games where we truly dominate the football yes he can be an asset but it comes at the loss of protecting our fragile back 4. And in games against decent opposition that is a big risk.

Just to add i thought he was a damn good signing at first.

Couldn't agree more re Kranjar. He should have stayed I the MLS with sunglasses on!

I don't think Warburton is naive enough to think Kranjcar is a box to box midfielder, his creativity and ability to take the ball in close and distribute WILL be invaluable for us as the season progresses. We'll play a lot of teams who'll pack the 18yard line with bodies and he can unlock them if his team mates are tuned into what he can do. he'll also chip in a few goals as we've seen.

Very unfair to write him off.

Three weeks suspension appears to be the club kicking this particular can, further on down the road. If Barton returns to the dressing room, this will occur again, and again. His past is a weight he struggles to bear, all the various coping courses he has undertaken, have conditioned him not to bottle up his emotions. Keeping it all in, leads to serious frustrations for Joey, and he blows. Thus, he emotes, continually. He gets it all out and lets everyone else deal with the consequences.

Joey perceives his sin to be clean. He can venture on to Talk Sport(he must emote) and sling a comfortable line about doing nothing wrong and the action taken being strange. Again, that's about his equilibrium. Joey can do individual discipline to a point; however, participating in collective discipline .......................? Joey will launch his autobiography entitled, 'no nonsense' tomorrow evening unfettered by club commitment. He can blame all his past bust-ups on all the other participants. The media will eat it up. Extrapolating, I suspect Joey will go on to trash Rangers and Scottish football in the next three weeks, and the media will eat it up. Maybe, Joey should change his autobiography to, 'No Sense'?

I have just watched Chris McLaughlin on BBC Scotland purring reference Barton's purdah, the player is no longer welcome at Ibrox or the club's training ground". Chris stands upon the Hinshelwood waste ground echoing the phraseology that preceded his coventry. I suggest the club kick Joey into the Hinshelwood long grass beside Chris, they could form a self-help group.