Joey Barton - Is there a way back?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe he is due back next Monday.

What is the general consensus on here in regards to his future?

Many have been quick to turn on Joey - with a lot of fans keen to play the "I told you so" card, however part of me still thinks he could come back and prove us all wrong.

I think a (4-2-3-1) With Halliday and Barton in the engine room - with one of Windass/Holt/Kranjcar (depending on the opposition) playing in a more advanced 3 could be a good system.

Thoughts?

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

I think we're having a worrying season and a quick analysis of he potential benefit to potential cost, and he's an easy one to forget about.

His performances have not lived up to his own hype, and he came off second best to Brown, whom he said wasn't in his class, in a complete humiliation.

We have also seen what can happen when the dressing room is not happy, and so he comes across as a bit of a liability we can't afford.

Halliday has looked a better bet when switching to a similar role, and he's more of a long term investment - as is Rossiter.

There's also the impression that Warburton maybe felt had to play him to justify his wage and profile, and now he doesn't have that problem.

I've always been nervous about the JB signing. He was player of the year at Burnley but we only signed him, not the rest of the team to give him continuity. I'd rather see him go to be honest unless it's cheaper to keep him.

I'd assumed the three weeks was to allow an exit to be negotiated but there's no sign he's going anywhere. We've certainly looked better without him and Halliday's arguably been our best player over the period Barton's been suspended. There's also the issue of whether he's upsetting the dressing room. But that notwithstanding, I'd have thought a player of his quality and experience would still have something to offer. If the relationships haven't broken down completely, it's just a question of how to use him.

I think we're having a worrying season and a quick analysis of he potential benefit to potential cost, and he's an easy one to forget about.

His performances have not lived up to his own hype, and he came off second best to Brown, whom he said wasn't in his class, in a complete humiliation.

We have also seen what can happen when the dressing room is not happy, and so he comes across as a bit of a liability we can't afford.

Halliday has looked a better bet when switching to a similar role, and he's more of a long term investment - as is Rossiter.

There's also the impression that Warburton maybe felt had to play him to justify his wage and profile, and now he doesn't have that problem.

I believe we are starting to see a bit of revisionism in regards to his performance in the Old Firm, people forget - Joey played the last half hour as a CB.

In regards to the dressing room - Neil McCann made the point on Sky that to his knowledge he is well liked by the players.

We have had a bad start to the season but to solely lay the blame with Barton is scapegoating at its finest.

I believe we are starting to see a bit of revisionism in regards to his performance in the Old Firm, people forget - Joey played the last half hour as a CB.

In regards to the dressing room - Neil McCann made the point on Sky that to his knowledge he is well liked by the players.

We have had a bad start to the season but to solely lay the blame with Barton is scapegoating at its finest.

Who is scapegoating Barton? Or have you done some revisionism on my post...? ;)

I said we're having a dodgy time in a crucial season and he has already *proven* to be a bit destabilising and in fact sent away for about a month by the manager - so I questioned whether he is worth the risk of bringing him back at this time. His performances have certainly not been good enough to have sorely missed them, no matter your opinion on them - and is makes it worse that he has run his mouth off quite a bit, to the effect of something like he's the best player in Scotland and a class above Brown.

There is no scapegoating, the guy has factually caused his own problems due to his own flaws in character and simultaneously hasn't done much to make our start to the season successful, or shown us much at all that makes us want him back in a hurry. Maybe someone clairvoyant can tell us how great he's going to be, but otherwise we can only make judgements on what we see.

So I don't see how anyone can think I'm blaming him, although do think he's done far less than most to help the start to the season, not least by the extreme issue of getting suspended by the club. All I've said is that he's behaved, talked and played his way out of the team, and in my opinion he's not an compelling option at the moment.

I can't see the relevance of his positioning against Celtic, especially as we'd pretty much lost at that point, I was a bit despondent and so following the intricacies of the game less closely, and the Sky internet feed was acting up quite often like time lapse photography - probably due to underestimating the online demand for simultaneous Glasgow and Manchester derbies and the servers not coping.