Joey Barton - Is there a way back?

Everyone deserves a second chance, JB has had THREE already!

His suspension on the Tuesday until the following Monday was his first warning, obviously he has said something again on the Monday resulting in his 3 week ban, so by then he'd used up his 2nd chance. He should have accepted the decision and kept mum.

Of course, he did not. He again went public with "he would not have moved to Rangers if he had the benefit of hindsight".

Rangers don't need him and although he will come back no doubt, I really can't see Warbs ever picking him again.

Worth adding: When he signed for us, some Gersnetters were not too impressed with him coming to Rangers because of his 'previous', I completely disagreed with them and said so at the time adding that all that stuff was in the past and so deserves a clean break.

How wrong I was.

Everyone deserves a second chance, JB has had THREE already!

His suspension on the Tuesday until the following Monday was his first warning, obviously he has said something again on the Monday resulting in his 3 week ban, so by then he'd used up his 2nd chance. He should have accepted the decision and kept mum.

Of course, he did not. He again went public with "he would not have moved to Rangers if he had the benefit of hindsight".

Rangers don't need him and although he will come back no doubt, I really can't see Warbs ever picking him again.

Worth adding: When he signed for us, some Gersnetters were not too impressed with him coming to Rangers because of his 'previous', I completely disagreed with them and said so at the time adding that all that stuff was in the past and so deserves a clean break.

How wrong I was.

You don know for sure he had 3 chances. He was initially suspended or the week. It could very well have been that the intervening week saw Warburton decide that he wanted an extended suspension and that Barton had done "nothing further" to warrant it, other than MW, after calming down, believing that an extended suspension was merited.

I thought (could very well be wrong) that his "I wouldn't have moved to Rangers with hindsight" was a statement made before the suspension (possibly between the 1 week and the 3 week suspension) but if it was between the two then he wasn't on a "non disclosure" period - that only came about after the extended suspension.

As I said, I could be wrong but that is my recollection of events.

Before we all start to be revisionist we need to at least get our facts right, myself included.

On reading that article I posted a link to, I'd forgot about him going public with this...

(Quote from article) "It appears Rangers decided to act after Barton made an unauthorised appearance on TalkSPORT last Friday, where he labelled Warburton's initial decision to bar him from training for a week "strange".

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/joey-barton-regrets-decision-to-join-rangers-755508.html

Edited by Bearman

I think it would be very unfair of Warburton to give someone a suspension and then punish him after that. I can't see it to be honest as I don't think Warburton would hold a grudge against someone who has served his penalty. Much depends on Burton's conduct but he should have a carte blanche.

Not sure I completely agree with that. On the whole possibly - but there are plenty who are saying "didn't want him even before he actually signed" - surely that isn't something that can be put down to being unimpressed with his attitude, unless talking about his "previous".

I was one who said that and it was partly because of his previous. I also didn't and can't fathom where he fits in the team? We had Rossiter on the way up before he signed. Add to that I don't really rate him and there is three reasons.

As for having a pop at the guy, I certainly haven't mentioned anything re him personally as I don't know the guy so how can I judge someone I don't know outside of football? We hear he is a nice guy, he probably is, but again I don't know him so will judge his footballing abilities and his reputation at his work. I'm not impressed by either. Nothing more than that.

The signing of Barton had 'RISK' written all over it. I was in favour of it only because of our previous 'RISKY' signing - Paul Gascoigne - he turned out ok.

Before people 'jump' on me in my comparison of JB to Gazza...they were the same circumstances, though on a different scale.

We need to remember where we have been.:)

The signing of Barton had 'RISK' written all over it. I was in favour of it only because of our previous 'RISKY' signing - Paul Gascoigne - he turned out ok.

Before people 'jump' on me in my comparison of JB to Gazza...they were the same circumstances, though on a different scale.

We need to remember where we have been.:)

Trying to be honest Bearman, until I read the reports here I had never even heard of Barton. Hardly surprising though since I don't take any interest of English football.

But the whole world knew who Gazza was. Yes he was flawed and we all knew that. My main concern at the time was he was coming from Italy because his legs had gave out again and we were the only mugs willing to pay him the wage he thought he was worth. I'm in no way ashamed to say I was wrong.

Gazza proved me wrong in a very short time. I've seen nothing from Barton yet suggesting that so-called damaged goods are worth taking the risk on him.

Naturally I'll be delighted to put my hands up if proven to be a diddy yet again. :nuts:

Trying to be honest Bearman, until I read the reports here I had never even heard of Barton. Hardly surprising though since I don't take any interest of English football.

But the whole world knew who Gazza was. Yes he was flawed and we all knew that. My main concern at the time was he was coming from Italy because his legs had gave out again and we were the only mugs willing to pay him the wage he thought he was worth. I'm in no way ashamed to say I was wrong.

Gazza proved me wrong in a very short time. I've seen nothing from Barton yet suggesting that so-called damaged goods are worth taking the risk on him.

Naturally I'll be delighted to put my hands up if proven to be a diddy yet again. :nuts:

I'd love to be proved wrong too regards JB, I've a feeling it won't happen because it's too late for him, lots of water under the bridge with all his baggage flowing never ending.

It's a shame really, this was a great opportunity for him (and Rangers) in the twilight of his 'stricken' career.

We hear he is a nice guy, he probably is

Everyone who knows him and has played alongside him if they commented at all on his personality outside football agreed that Joey is an easy going guy who is good company. When it comes to football he's a totally different animal who even in training takes it deadly seriously which is probably proven by the number of training ground bust ups he has been involved in.

I still think he can be a very valuable addition to our squad over the course of this season if the manager can get him to focus that passion on the pitch in combat so to speak rather than in training. I truly doubt he would have been so foolish as to claim that broonaldo isn't in his class if he didn't know for an absolute fact it was true.

Providing the rest of the team have no problems with him which apparently they don't we need to get him fit and back into contention because there is no way we will be acquiring a player any better than he is in the near future. Get him fit and give him the chance to prove himself which if anything he must be even more desperate to do than before this fiasco.

As it stands the chances are he would need to be eased back into it with a few appearances on the now standard 60 minute mark which should be good enough to give him a chance in a time period where he could go all out at it with no fear of running out of steam.