Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

ARSENAL have stepped up their bid to try to pinch Billy Gilmour from under the noses of Chelsea.

SunSport understands Rangers gave the Gunners permission to whisk the starlet and his family to London at the weekend.

The 15-year-old was given the all-star treatment and watched the club’s Under-16s play.

Gilmour was joined on the sidelines by Arsenal’s academy head of scouting Steve Morrow.

Fifa rules prohibit any official move until just before the midfielder turns 16 on June 11.

He could be landed for £100,000 in a cross-border compensation deal if clubs wait until then

Hugely disappointing if that is true. We need to be nurturing these players and cashing in on them at 22-24 years of age. That needs to be our business model, I hope he sees sense and realises he need games when he is older.

Hugely disappointing if that is true. We need to be nurturing these players and cashing in on them at 22-24 years of age. That needs to be our business model, I hope he sees sense and realises he need games when he is older.

I wonder if this was a quid pro quo for Toral?

I wonder if this was a quid pro quo for Toral?

I just cant see that being the case. If it is then it is horrid business, and that is no slight on Toral.

Gilmour is one of our own players, the jewel in the Academy crown and one that the Academy see as the next big thing. So if they have brokered a "give us Toral and we will help you get Gilmour" type deal then it would be nigh on criminal.

Besides, the Club can't force the kid to choose the club that we want him to go to.

I think, and I hope, that you are wrong and that it would merely be a coincidence that Arsenal are the club mentioned with both players.

We need to do all we can to retain Billy Gilmour IMHO.

This sort of thing happens to wealthier teams than us: if Barca lose 16 year olds, there's really not a lot we can do to stop it. We can build a clear pathway to the first team , a reputation as a good place to develop and sell them the idea of faster progress to first team football but the lure of the premier league and of money is hard to fight.

I don't understand all the negativity over the signing of Alnwick and the sale of Gilks.

Clearly Gilks wanted away, we signed a replacement and then let him leave. We did the EXACT same thing that Chelsea are trying to do. Begovic wants to leave so they are trying to sign Gordon and only when they have signed a replacement will they let Begovic go.

Why is it that it makes sense for the big clubs, clubs we continually say we need to emulate, but when we do it there is a whole slew of negativity.

If the purchase and sale prices net against each other then we have a keeper who is 10 years younger than his predecessor, someone who has already played 1st team games, someone who will know they are back-up to a keeper that has improved dramatically and someone who was happy to have moved here obviously.

It is very easy to say "If Wes got an injury then just throw Kelly in" - but given how shaky we look at times in defence do you honestly think that a rookie keeper would instill confidence in those in front of him ?? Defenders often play with confidence because they know the quality they have behind them if they make a mistake - Wes has had a fine season and the defence know they can depend on him. That wouldn't happen with Kelly if he was thrown in at the deep end. It is funny that a number of our fans have said that we will struggle to make 3rd (even with Wes in goal) but now that the agenda suits they say "We can make 3rd easily even using Kelly in goal". Those same people would be the first to complain if we had to use Kelly and dropped points.

I see nothing but positives from this, with the only negative being that we know that Gilks is a very capable keeper, as his performance in the OF semi showed whilst Alnwick is an unknown quantity to us.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about these young kids moving if that's what they want , they will be fully aware of their worth and in some cases it will be all about the money .

Hopefully that's not the case with young Billy