Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

I don't think there's much wrong with constructive criticism but it frustrates me when people label new signings a waste of money before they've even played.

In general I think our transfer dealings have been largely mediocre at best. However, there are mitigating circumstances (to a degree) whilst our budget and lack of scouting means we're never going to hit the bullseye every time. As such, whilst criticism is valid, we have to retain an element of pragmatism if we're ever to come out the other side of some of the worst years in the club's history.

One reason they are mediocre is that hes operating even below the level he was at with Brentford , apart from O'Halloran ( again a player whom everyone was excited about ) and Garner we haven't spent any real money at all . Yet we sit comfortably in 2nd/3rd place in the SPFl

I agree with this.

And Rodgers will be costing a hell of a lot more than MW. Same goes for the signings he has made.

PS: You won't find his fans saying their players are worthless either. They may not like certain players but they'll defend them to ensure their value remains decent (artificially or not).

This is a major difference between the two sets of fans. They will privately slate their players - but publicly will always say that a player is top drawer. They have been hating on Scott Brown for years, yet still publicly laud him as Scotland's finest - admittedly they have the media in their back pocket for this too.

We, on the other hand, hurt ourselves with our honesty at times :D - and the press are very quick to determine our players are worthless on our behalf.

Take Dembele - never in a million years is the guy worth 40 million quid - Celtic know this too - but if you get the figure out there often enough, like it or not, it becomes a starting point for discussion. There isn't a player in Scotland worth even HALF that amount. You only need look at how successful Sinclair is in Scotland vs what he achieved in the EPL to know that the league here has far inferior players. But..... they will always talk their players up - and much as though we always lay the blame for this with our custodians I think you have a point - I think we also need to be smarter in how we speak about our player's qualities.

This is a major difference between the two sets of fans. They will privately slate their players - but publicly will always say that a player is top drawer. They have been hating on Scott Brown for years, yet still publicly laud him as Scotland's finest - admittedly they have the media in their back pocket for this too.

We, on the other hand, hurt ourselves with our honesty at times :D - and the press are very quick to determine our players are worthless on our behalf.

Take Dembele - never in a million years is the guy worth 40 million quid - Celtic know this too - but if you get the figure out there often enough, like it or not, it becomes a starting point for discussion. There isn't a player in Scotland worth even HALF that amount. You only need look at how successful Sinclair is in Scotland vs what he achieved in the EPL to know that the league here has far inferior players. But..... they will always talk their players up - and much as though we always lay the blame for this with our custodians I think you have a point - I think we also need to be smarter in how we speak about our player's qualities.

We are not, I am pleased to say, such fecund liars as them.

Couldn't agree more. We suck at PR as fans, our own worst enemies sometimes.

So the window has now slammed shut.

We have swapped reserve keepers, and brought in 2 midfielders on loan.

Still no centre half, still nobody to score goals.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Someone somewhere has failed our club big time this month.

I am deeply depressed at the thought of watching the next 4 months still with Kiernan and Miller as first picks in our team.

January window is a terrible window. I'm not bothered by it as I still believe we will secure 2nd. The summer window is usually far more productive and with far better value for money.

The two midfielders will, IMHO, improve us a fair bit, especially Hyndman

Edited by craig

So the window has now slammed shut.

We have swapped reserve keepers, and brought in 2 midfielders on loan.

Still no centre half, still nobody to score goals.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Someone somewhere has failed our club big time this month.

I am deeply depressed at the thought of watching the next 4 months still with Kiernan and Miller as first picks in our team.

Miller would be a first pick anywhere in scotland playing like this.

Several places down south to.