Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

We need to look further afield - that is where the real bargains are to be had!!!

As much as we'd all like to see good Scottish talent developing, the real fact of the matter is that it's not happening (at the moment). We need to be looking at some of the more un-tapped markets, where good players can be identified & brought in at low prices.

As others have said, we need players who are not just good enough for the SPL, but can happily perform at higher levels.

Cummings has a pretty good scoring record, but it has predominantly been in the Championship (16 SPL apps). At that level, Waggy was outstanding as well & had a notably higher scoring record than Cummings..

I'd rather we went for players who could perform in the Europa and challenge Celtic for the title. A Motherwell player who was playing in the Conference a couple of years ago is unlikely to be such a player.

We have to look a lot further than our own shores.

We do have to look further but it doesn't necessarily mean better value or a better player.

Moult doesn't have the best pedigree in terms of clubs but has scored goals for all of them as a senior player and has done particularly well for a provincial side like Motherwell. He'd cost less than £500K and I think that's decent value.

Would he be better than player B from the continent? I don't know but at least he has experience of this league and can clearly score goals against us and Celtic. Given our overall budget that makes him a serious option in my view.

We do have to look further but it doesn't necessarily mean better value or a better player.

Moult doesn't have the best pedigree in terms of clubs but has scored goals for all of them as a senior player and has done particularly well for a provincial side like Motherwell. He'd cost less than £500K and I think that's decent value.

Would he be better than player B from the continent? I don't know but at least he has experience of this league and can clearly score goals against us and Celtic. Given our overall budget that makes him a serious option in my view.

The big thing with looking at other markets is that their pricing is most likely not over inflated, plus players will be keen to get a foothold in UK football (ie. big money move to EPL etc).

I actually find it quite bad that a players quality is apparently judged by transfer value - look at Joe Garner....£1.5m price tag yet only scored 3 goals in 19 apps, Yet Joe Dodoo has 4 goals in 16 apps and was signed for £250k.

I believe there will be an abundance of raw talent within the African, Scandinavian, Australian leagues just waiting to be discovered.

The big thing with looking at other markets is that their pricing is most likely not over inflated, plus players will be keen to get a foothold in UK football (ie. big money move to EPL etc).

I actually find it quite bad that a players quality is apparently judged by transfer value - look at Joe Garner....£1.5m price tag yet only scored 3 goals in 19 apps, Yet Joe Dodoo has 4 goals in 16 apps and was signed for £250k.

I believe there will be an abundance of raw talent within the African, Scandinavian, Australian leagues just waiting to be discovered.

Absolutely correct, unfortunately, the work permit issues prevents us from considering 99% of those individuals. Anyone without an EU passport (currently) would not be able to play in the UK, unless of course, you are Celtic and have signed a Japanese wonder boy (aka the next Messi), in which case, the rules do not apply.

An interesting question on work permits would players from African etc. Commonwealth countries have a different work permit remit?.

yes I think they have to fulfil certain criteria....appearing for their national side for example. After Brexit EU players will have to do that also

here is an example I remember

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/99058/1589-jason-scotland-annexes.pdf

Edited by colinstein

That in itself isn't a problem if (at least) one of the other attacking players (e.g. Holt, McKay or MOH on Saturday) had the gumption to take Miller's place when he dropped deep/wide.

Far too often both MOH and McKay sat too wide and too deep themselves and only once did I see MOH get to the back-post when fairness to him, he'd have had a tap in if Wallace hadn't cut it back instead. McKay, too, doesn't support the attack enough but, when he does, he can score goals.

These are the types strategy nuances the manager has to ingrain in his players.

So we get midfielders to do the forwards job and the forwards to do the midfielders job and he cant work out why players attributes are not matching our needs?

if midfielders had the attributes of a forward they would be forwards. Hes completely underestimating the skill set required of a forward and is paying the price for that naivety.

Also very easy to mark against too, the opposition just need to instruct their CH to mark the space not the player and the midfield to follow the runner and sit deep when defending and we are nullified as we see each week.

Why? They're hardly undiscovered leagues, are they? The African Cup of Nations will be hoaching with scouts, Madrid have signed a kid from the Swedish league. And anybody who's watched the A League for any time will know it's mostly absolutely fuqing terrible but that good prospects will be snapped up: Man City's owners even have a club in the A league. We should look for players everywhere we can but the idea that there's all these world class players who've stayed mysteriously hidden from everyone else and we can pick up for no money is surely a pipe dream.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

So we get midfielders to do the forwards job and the forwards to do the midfielders job and he cant work out why players attributes are not matching our needs?

if midfielders had the attributes of a forward they would be forwards. Hes completely underestimating the skill set required of a forward and is paying the price for that naivety.

Also very easy to mark against too, the opposition just need to instruct their CH to mark the space not the player and the midfield to follow the runner and sit deep when defending and we are nullified as we see each week.

I think every team has to have an element of flexibility and I'd argue we're actually too flexible at times which actually hinders us when attempting to play at a higher tempo.

Most teams play a version of 4-5-1 nowadays with the attacking midfielders expected to help shoulder the burden of scoring goals. We're no different in that respect but we're not finding the correct balance often enough and, thus, the goals required.

Quite simply we play too deep and don't get players forward often enough as I described. You don't need to be a goalscorer to be a forward player. But you do need to be able to time your runs well and find good positions. Tav, Wallace and Holt all do this but not often/well enough and the same can be said for McKay, MOH and Windass - though they're perhaps tasked more with the creativity.

IMHO, we would not talk as much about Gardner's or Dodoo's fees if those who we relied upon last season would actually hit the target. Be that Tavernier, Holt, or indeed Waghorn. We create so many, but waste them like there is no tomorrow.

Dodoo has been injured quite some time, but then you have Forrester too, who is always willing to have a go, take people on and have a shot himself. Yet, he seldom plays. As Frankie has said, Windass looks like a performance player, but then again, if he has an off-day, why wait till the 60th or 75th minute? Toral was, IMHO employed a bit too deep, but he will have to find his feet ... and I for one would have exected him later in the game, not from the start.

Edited by der Berliner