Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

I'm puzzled why people don't think we need midfielders, it's clearly the area of the pitch that needs strengthened first. I really like Halliday and Holt but they simply aren't good enough to move us to the next level. We need central midfielders who can take the ball under pressure from the back and dictate play. Teams are closing us down too easily, denying us space and forcing us to play it long. Obviously Kranjcar was meant for this as was Barton. Warburton's philosophy and style is based on dominating possession and that requires midfielders who can dominate the game, McKay apart we don't have any just now. We're so slow and pedestrian at times, we need quicker thinkers and faster movers in midfield. I'm far from convinced the two loan signings are the answer though.

Games are won & lost in midfield, a good strong midfield protects the defenders and creates and supports the forwards

Billy Gilmour is only 15 but playing for the under 20's so hopefully we may have someone on the way up. That is if he is not wrestled away from us when he turns 16.

Scored for the 20's in the Youth Cup at the weekend too. There are others of his age group that have quality too - players like Dapo Mebude.

I certainly don't disagree, but the markets that we are currently looking into, are not yielding players of a suitable calibre.

we need to cast the net wider - bringing in players from teams below us in the league is not a positive route forward in the long term - it is also a VERY small possible pool of signings.

Shopping in the lower leagues down south can yield positive signings, if done carefully.

We REALLY need to shop/spend wisely, especially when on such a tight budget.

And I wouldn't disagree with that. But I'm less convinced we'll suddenly get a massive uptick in the calibre of player just by shopping in Ukraine or Bosnia. Until such a time as we sort our finances out (and probably after that) we'll need to get used to the idea of polishing rough diamonds as well as polishing turds.

You're right in that Holt and Halliday need to be replaced to let us step up. Unfortunately we need to look across the city to see where we need to be and neither of them are close to Brown or Rogic. Having said that, I don't think those two are untouchable, we should be able to beat them man for man in the middle.

brown is an absolute donkey

Then we should be able to dominate their midfield easily then? And as we all said on ne'earday, the gaps no that big.

I'd agree the gap isn't that big except for up front. Sinclair & Dembele are streets ahead of anyone we've currently got.

Solve that & we can challenge. Even if it means loan signings

The league is gone so for now i'm content to be be better than the rest and from day one despite some contrary results and incoinsistency I always believed we were. Two or three good signings would put us out of sight of the rest and I trust in this Rangers minded board to do all they can in that direction. Euro money is an absolute must to put us streets ahead of the rest which also closes the gap above us and even now we all seem to agree the gap isn't so great as some would like to claim it is.

Neil McCann said after the Motherwell game that in his days, the Scum won the league by 18odd points too, but in any game we played them we tried to show them how good we actualy were, methinks we won the cup back then. So the league was lost by a big margin, but we came back the next season and won it.

These days, the margin is there because every other player of them costs as much as half of our team, if not more. We have taken far to long to get going this season, didn't convert our chances - out of lack of quality, being off-form, injuries, bad luck, strange ref decisions etc.. At the same time, good or not, the Yahoos have played a blinder of a season by their standards ... as well as getting some decisions that leaves you stunned. There is no denying that they are head and shoulders above the rest. How long that will last is everyone's guess though. Everyone not embroiled directly in Scottish or British football is actually applauding our current standing, from being promoted straight to second place (and without knowing that we did not perform at our highest levels). In the cold light of day, unless someone snatches one of our better players for top-notch money or some sort of indirect investment (naming rights, shirt sponsorship) we won't have that much money to compete with the Scum in the transfer market. So right now (sic!) we have to hope - again - that we can snatch the odd talent ahead of anyone else (and that is a bigger task than some seem to imagine) or get some long term loans in, to add the quality we need. But football is a quick-changing business and who knows what can and will happen in the summer.