Well who's next

From today's Times:

FOOTBALL

Largs shaped Caixinha for Ibrox challenge

Mark Walker

March 10 2017, 12:01am,

The Times

When he was 19, Pedro Caixinha faced up to what he believed would be the biggest challenge in his life — the young goalkeeper had to face a rampaging bull for the first time on his own in his native Beja. But the fearless Forcado (the ‘forked man’ in Portuguese bullfighting) may regard that day in 1990 as a walk in the park compared with the challenges that face him at Rangers.

After an unremarkable career at various ports of call including his local club Desportivo Beja, Caixinha decided in his mid-20s that a coaching career beckoned. And he decided to do it the Portuguese way. That meant taking a Masters Degree in Sports Science at the University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro.

He recalled: “My father was a professional footballer and I suppose I got my passion for the game from him. After my career in the game, I started to analyse tactics and teams and took it from there. In my third year of my degree, we had the option of coaching football teams. I thought I knew everything about football; that soon taught me I knew next to nothing.”

Caixinha honed his coaching skills at a number of clubs in his homeland, including a stint at Sporting Lisbon. The man he credits as his tutor and coaching mentor is the former Manchester United assistant Carlos Queiroz, below, and he even spent time at Old Trafford observing the coaching methods of Sir Alex Ferguson in 1996. He also took his coaching badges in Scotland. He said: “People talk about me in the same way as José Mourinho because we are both Portuguese. But the man who taught me everything I know was Carlos Queiroz; he was a phenomenal coach.”

He also coached in Saudi Arabia, Greece and Romania as assistant to Jose Peseiro, who currently manages Al-Sharjah in United Arab Emirates, before deciding to go it alone in his native Portugal with União Leiria seven years ago. He had modest success both there and at the Madeira side Naçional before he was fired.

In 2012, he made a life-changing career move that would enhance his reputation when he chose to move to Mexico to take charge of Santos Laguna, ironically because of Celtic for whom he had done some scouting. “I got the job at Santos because of the relationship I had with Celtic,” he recalled. “I studied in Scotland [for] the Uefa Coaches’ Licence from 2007 until 2010 because it was well known that the best course for coaches was in Scotland [at Largs]. While I was working in Portugal, Celtic asked me to do some scouting for them. Through them I met the people of Santos Laguna because of the connection between the clubs, and they asked me to become manager.”

He won three trophies in Mexico and reached the Concacaf Champions League Final and was no stranger to controversy. He would often attend press conferences with a prepared speech and would hand out training sheets to the assembled media so they could see what he worked on that week.

Numerous run-ins with other coaches and the authorities eventually wore him down though and he left in August 2015, before accepting a £2 million contract at the Qatari club Al-Gharafa a few months later.

Caixinha certainly won’t fail through a lack of passion. He once said: “Defeat is the same as death. My whole life is football and I think it is interesting to try different things. Many times I think that human beings are afraid of change. The best thing I have learned in football is you have to open your mind to new things; you cannot be afraid to do them.”

Miguel Herrera, the former Mexico coach, once claimed that Caixinha “wants to fight with everyone” after the pair clashed and had to be separated. “They say he is a good guy and a man of God but why does he want to fight with so many people?” said Herrera “I turned round and he was arguing with a coach on my bench. I approached him and asked him what the problem was and he wanted to fight me too. We both got sent off. I tried to calm the situation, but he was beyond that. He was furious and shouting at me. I don’t understand why he gets so mad.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/largs-shaped-caixinha-for-ibrox-challenge-hhp39h5pp (Paywall)

Is it just me, or do the media appear to have an awful lot of "factual" information now??? Even though there is still nothing coming out of the club.

Yet, all reports still don't know WHEN he is actually going to be unveiled.

Since when have the media bothered about facts?, lies!, lies!, lies! is what the Scottish gutter press do best.

All this guff about the quality of Pedro from people who have no idea who or what quality he has because essentially they've no clue about the guy in the first place... does my nut in.

I don't care what this guy has achieved or where he has been. I only care about where he's going with us. If he is of similar quality to the previous Portuguese Pedro we had then that'll do for me. The difference is this Pedro wont get injured like the previous one who only played 8 games in his second season with us due to injury... but in saying that, his first season, as far as I'm concerned Mendes was outstanding!