Ferguson as the manager's third assistant

Both Ferguson and Bomber were great players for us but I'm not convinced by either as coaches though, similarly, I'm not completely sure this role is actually a coach anyway but more an advisory position.

As such I wouldn't overreact if either of these guys got it but I'd certainly prefer a more constructive appointment.

Both Ferguson and Bomber were great players for us but I'm not convinced by either as coaches though, similarly, I'm not completely sure this role is actually a coach anyway but more an advisory position.

As such I wouldn't overreact if either of these guys got it but I'd certainly prefer a more constructive appointment.

Remember the Mormons used to stick their toe in the door so as they could worm their way in. That is what this would feel like.

I cannot believe the overreaction to this news by some people.

I have yet to see a better midfielder at Rangers since Ferguson retired. He has grown up a lot lately and has cut his teeth at a lower level. Over the last few years he has been working with part time players and really seems to have the desire to succeed as a coach.

I'm not too bothered by BF. He has the knowledge for the role, which is not a coach. It would probably help him if he did want to become a (better) coach. As for going behind the manager's back: PLG was so weak he allowed it; PC does not seem like he would take any sh***. There is an argument against the appointment, but I'm not too concerned; there are far worse appointments.

F*** it! * Ohh Barry Barry... *

Edited by Rousseau

I cannot believe the overreaction to this news by some people.

I have yet to see a better midfielder at Rangers since Ferguson retired. He has grown up a lot lately and has cut his teeth at a lower level. Over the last few years he has been working with part time players and really seems to have the desire to succeed as a coach.

Yeah, I agree, I'm surprised at the outright hostility Ferguson receives. Ferguson let himself down as a player once in my opinion, and that was with Scotland. His falling out with Le Guen, with hindsight, was justified, (not that I felt that at the time), he was the club captain and could see the club wasn't being managed properly, he was right to speak out.

In recent years Ferguson has conducted himself very well, he's clearly matured. His spells in England and at Clyde will have broadened his horizons.

Who of us can honestly say they'd didn't do anything in their 20s they now regret?

Paul Le Guen was never cut out for life at the top.

His career has been on a downwards spiral ever since.

A bit of a myth, probably build on a perspective that after Rangers it has to be Real, ManU or the like to better yourself ... or retirement for that matter.

On a sidenote, Barry the Player is most likely not the bone of contention here, but Barry the person and personality. And he did write quite a bit of rubbish in the papers too ...

I have no idea what the role is, nor what it may evolve to become.

It is surely not a matter of language, as Caixinha's English is very good, perhaps better than Ferguson's.

It is surely not a coaching appointment, as there is a full establishment in place, and PC has brought his trusted staff with him.

It is surely not an appointment to cover scouting, recruitment or analysis, or anything that the DoF (remember him?) will cover.

It is surely not an appointment to deal with the media, as, apart from any League/sponsors requirements, PC seems like the kind of guy who will wish to get his message across, and of course, there is, I am led to believe, a Media/PR department.

As far as I can see, that leaves scouting the opposition, and getting the rolls in of a morning.

Do we trust him to return with the correct orders? In the correct pokes?

If he is appointed, and if the role is restricted, and kept within the defined limits, then why not? Day to day involvement with the players, however, might be a potentially divisive step too far.

Edited by Uilleam