The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

Richard Foster believes Ryan Jack will offer the Rangers defence the protection they lacked last season.

Midfielder Jack, 25, has joined Rangers on a three-year deal under freedom of contract after leaving Aberdeen.

St Johnstone defender Foster, 31, was previously a team-mate of Jack's at Pittodrie."He's very much underrated," Foster told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound. "He loves tackling, he loves winning the ball."

Rangers, who were promoted last year and finished third in the 2016-17 Scottish Premiership, kept 12 clean sheets in the top flight, compared with the Dons' 15.

They have already signed 35-year-old Portuguese defender Bruno Alves for next season.

Jack came through the Dons' youth ranks and made his debut in 2010, becoming captain five years later."He's a good signing for Rangers," said Foster, who was loaned to Rangers from Aberdeen for the 2010-11 season and then returned to Ibrox for a two-year spell in 2013."He was asked to do the defensive role in the Aberdeen team, which I think he did really well, but I think he does have more quality on the ball when needed."

Central midfielders Jon Toral and Emerson Hyndman have returned to Arsenal and Bournemouth respectively after their loan spells with Rangers.

"What Rangers lacked last season - they had technically decent enough players, Toral, Hyndman, that played latterly - in centre midfield but didn't have someone who will win the ball back, who will occupy a position that takes a bit of the pressure off the centre-backs," added Foster."Their full-backs like to play high.

There was a lot of pressure last year on the Rangers centre-halves and I think a lot of the time they were unfairly criticised because they got no protection from either the sides or in front of them.

"I think Ryan Jack is a player who will definitely offer that and I think he's got a lot to offer going forward as well."

" Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha has flown back to Glasgow accompanied by Portuguese pair Fabio Cardoso and Dalcio.

Caixinha was spotted boarding a flight from Lisbon to Glasgow as he moves closer to adding the two new signings ahead of pre-season training.

Defender Cardoso, 23, signed a four-year deal with Primeira Liga outfit Vitoria de Setubal last year.

Benfica forward Dalcio, 21, is expected to sign on loan for the Ibrox side.

Caixinha has already added 35-year-old defender Bruno Alves and former Aberdeen captain Ryan Jack to his squad, while Mexican midfielder Carlos Pena arrived in Glasgow last week for talks.

Rangers begin their Europa League campaign on 29 June. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40154488