The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

would rather we beat them on the park tbh. McLean isn't even remotely close to good enough. He's a 25 year old journeyman who's level is bit part Scottish clubs. Sinking from Dorrans to this guy in my mind really changes the whole window for me. That's how bad I rate him. Jack was bad enough but I thought maybe it was the chance of stealing Aberdeens captain for zero that made it worthwhile but filling our midfield of absolute nobodies is a completely different thing. Jack and McLean is just holt and Halliday but worse.

Going from seeing us have three top notch signings to two doesn't on the face of it seem that bad but when you look at the squad without that third top signing it's poor. It's such an important position. Very thin lines obviously but got to say I am completely gutted at the drop in level and am adamantly hoping it's not true . What a let down. McLean in centre mid for Rangers fuck me that's piss poor. Had hoped to have left this kind of singing behind us after all that's happened the last few weeks. That's before we even consider the fact we are wastin close to a million pound on him.

No insult, but this does sound a bit "Scottophobic" to me. Oozes the utter distaste for any player that comes from a Scottish team, who essentially must be poor or poorer than we have. Which is not only rather subjective, but also not true.

But be that as it may, we have guidelines to fulfill and one states that a certain amount of players from Scotland (or at least Britain) needs to be in the side. A quick glance on our propable first eleven has ... one (Wallace), maybe up to three starters (Holt, Miller). Unless PC throws in Jack straight away, which wouldn't go amiss with this Bear. We are also still looking at Dorrans, Walker and now McLean. Methinks it was mentioned that when PC came to Scotland, he asked the Board who the best Scottish players were. The reply was Armstrong, Walker, and McLean. I would guess that PC made his homework about all these players, else we would not target them. So maybe when giving him a clean sheet with these essentially unknown Mexicans, Columbians and Portuguese veterans, youngsters and "well-travelled legionaires", shouldn't we trust him with this choice too? Which probably reflects that he knows what a marathon a season in Scotland is and that a Scottish spine might go a long way to get the points when the foreigners start "to reflect on their choice" on a cold soggy night in Motherwell?

Edited by der Berliner

No insult, but this does sound a bit "Scottophobic" to me. Oozes the utter distaste for any player that comes from a Scottish team, who essentially must be poor or poorer than we have. Which is not only rather subjective, but also not true.

But be that as it may, we have guidelines to fulfill and one states that a certain amount of players from Scotland (or at least Britain) needs to be in the side. A quick glance on our propable first eleven has ... one (Wallace), maybe up to three starters (Holt, Miller). Unless PC throws in Jack straight away, which wouldn't go amiss with this Bear. We are also still looking at Dorrans, Walker and now McLean. Methinks it was mentioned that when PC came to Scotland, he asked the Board who the best Scottish players were. The reply was Armstrong, Walker, and McLean. I would guess that PC made his homework about all these players, else we would not target them. So maybe when giving him a clean sheet with these essentially unknown Mexicans, Columbians and Portuguese veterans, youngsters and "well-travelled legionaires", shouldn't we trust him with this choice too? Which probably reflects that he knows what a marathon a season in Scotland is and that a Scottish spine might go a long way to get the points when the foreigners start "to reflect on their choice" on a cold soggy night in Motherwell?

That is what the youth system is for. McLean has a poor distribution ,poor vision and an average tackling ability. I can't think of a single attribute other than being Scottish that he brings. We don't need to waste money on Scottish players to meet uefa criteria we already have literally hundreds of Scottish players at the club from 9 years old up and also plenty who have been trained at the club from 15 years old for 3 years. They don't need to be in the starting eleven. Bates is another so is the third choice keeper. We have beerman and Bajonas too.

As for being against Scottish players well I would change that to " over paying for Scottish players" that are very poor tactically and also poor technically . If we do buy McLean for high six figures or seven then Aberdeen are the main beneficiaries and will be laughing all the way to the bank. We really need to learn as a club that over paying our rivals is bad business. What do you see McLean bringing that Barjonas doesn't that equates to a Million pounds worth of value? Especially since he is in the last twelve months of his contract.

Edited by trublusince1982

... it is not what I see in McLean, but PC's opinion that matters. I would assume though that PC and the board will want to make sure that we do not end up with "too many" youngsters again in a season that will really matter, at home and abroad.

Barjonas will sure get his chance, yet, I think the idea of taking out our "development side" of the league "competition" and start this challenge thing with other British (and continental) sides will benefit all u20s players in a similar way as if they'd play first team footie. Thus, it will probaby be better than in years gone by pre admin.