The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

From Evening Times

CARLOS PENA is confident boss Pedro Caixinha can bring out the best in him and Rangers this season.

The midfielder has been reunited with his former gaffer after putting pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with the Light Blues.

Pena worked under Caixinha during his time in charge of Santos Laguna and he is pleased to have the chance to work with the 46-year-old at Ibrox.

He said: “I got to know him back in Mexico, in Santos, and got to know everything that he won over there.

“The team played really well when he was the manager. Then, I met him again before a match in Portugal before we went to the World Cup and now, recently, whilst on holiday, we have spoken a lot.

“He was able to provide the Santos team with good dynamics and thanks to him the team was able to become part of the league. I think that he has done a really good job at every team that he has worked for.

“I was very happy when he wrote to me and spoke to my managers, so I let my family know and this is a great challenge for us.”

Pena was joined at Ibrox on Thursday night by striker Eduardo Herrera as the Mexican pair became the seventh and eighth signings of the transfer window for Rangers.

Both players have been registered in the Gers’ Europa League squad for the qualifier with Progres Niederkorn next week.

And the former Chivas midfielder is eager to make a positive first impression on the Light Blue legions.

He told RangersTV: “I hope to be able to have a good start to the season and to be 100% physically so I can achieve a good level, which I think is what everyone wants.

“I hope to achieve many things but I am a player that likes to do things step by step. I like different challenges and I don’t like settling for anything less, so I hope I can become part of the club’s history one day and that the initial three-year contract can be extended!”

Am I the only one to wonder if all these largely unknown Mexican and Portuguese players can turn Rangers around?

No!, we are all wondering the same thing!

Edited by ian1964

6 people can't do it on their own irrespective of their country of origin. If we fail it has nothing to do with where they came from.

Put it this way Portugal and Mexico are far far far better at football than us and are far better at producing players than us so really the question should be can we really do it without their help.

6 people can't do it on their own irrespective of their country of origin. If we fail it has nothing to do with where they came from.

Put it this way Portugal and Mexico are far far far better at football than us and are far better at producing players than us so really the question should be can we really do it without their help.

Its not a question where they come from it is whether the are good enough. We shall see.

les86 think back to MW and his signings who the hell were Windass,Crooks,Tavernier,Foderingham Kiernan,Waghorn,Forrester etc.we soon found who could and who could not cut it,so time will tell with new recruits.

Its not a question where they come from it is whether the are good enough. We shall see.

My Question remains is the manager good enough. I have still not seen anything to prove he is but he has a clean slate for the new season.

les86 think back to MW and his signings who the hell were Windass,Crooks,Tavernier,Foderingham Kiernan,Waghorn,Forrester etc.we soon found who could and who could not cut it,so time will tell with new recruits.

Yes we accepted all MW's crap signings and again we go with Pedro's? I hope we are onto a better group of players this time.

Mexico are a good side and produce a very good standard of player. Their national side are a bit unlucky they play in the north amercian qualifiers or they could be better playing in the south American. They aren't world beaters but are certainly head and shoulders above most of Europe. Two of the signings don't just have 1 or 2 caps, they have played regularly so they cant be too bad.

A lot will depend how the adapt to the lifestyle and style of play - that's up to the club and manager to assist as much as possible. They just need to stay out the lime light off the park and avoid the horrible media.

But Mexican internationals and Portugese promising players is better than what we have had in the last 5 years. Yes its a risk if it will work out but the attitude of all the signings so far has been positive. Compare that to having Lafferty and Naismith coming back! The signings are very refreshing.