The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

Having Jack and Rossiter sitting in front of the defence will definitely be of massive assistance to attacking fullbacks. I think that could bring out the best in Tav and Wallace, who are both way better going forward than they are defending. Would be surprised to see Tav leave, but won't be heartbroken if that comes to pass. More chance that Hodson would leave and McCrorie would be the back up for Tav.

Not sure how McCrorie could be the back up to Tav, Davie. He's only ever played CB and don't think he's ever been considered a fullback.

Well, people will have reservations about transfermarkt for this reason or that, but if you look for stats ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glasgow-rangers/leistungsdaten/verein/124/reldata/&2016/plus/1'>https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glasgow-rangers/leistungsdaten/verein/124/reldata/&2016/plus/1

Assists this season: McKay (11), Waghorn (9), Miller & Wallace (8), Tav (7).

If you want to compare this to last season, be prepared for a shock. Tav's scoring and assist rate dropped considerably ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glasgow-rangers/leistungsdaten/verein/124/reldata/&2016/plus/1

... and we have to remember that many of his 15 (!) goals came from free-kicks, rather than open play. And no matter the opposition, a wall of players is just that and more often than not this season, it was not the goalie or the post which kept the ball out ...

Well the stats prove me wrong, I thought it was higher, however he is a creative player and with better cover, ie: better DF & CB, he will maybe get less slating??. Tav gets too much slating imo, he is the best RB we have and unless we get a better one then he will be a regular starter, also when you think about the likes of Hutton/Whittaker they were not too hot at defending yet we sold them for a decent sum and they played regularly in the EPL and for Scotland, is Tav really that bad?, suppose it's all down too opinions!, Wallace isn't too hot at defending either!

Edited by ian1964

Not sure how McCrorie could be the back up to Tav, Davie. He's only ever played CB and don't think he's ever been considered a fullback.

I think he replaced Tav @ RB in the pre season match in USA?, but I think you are correct

Will need Elfideldo to provide the definitive answer, but fairly sure that McCrorie has played consistently at full back. He would certainly cover the entire defence with his versatility!

Well the stats prove me wrong, I thought it was higher, however he is a creative player and with better cover, ie: better DF & CB, he will maybe get less slating??. Tav gets too much slating imo, he is the best RB we have and unless we get a better one then he will be a regular starter, also when you think about the likes of Hutton/Whittaker they were not too hot at defending yet we sold them for a decent sum and they played regularly in the EPL and for Scotland, is Tav really that bad?, suppose it's all down too opinions!, Wallace isn't too hot at defending either!

Well, standards of nigh all individuals really dropped last season, all round bar Foderingham and Miller perhaps. It is well within reason to assume that better CHs and DMs will be able to cover Tav better. What caused me the most anguish last season was him switching off (while looking at the lines-men et al) every now and then and thus being out-foxed by quick thinking attackers, as well as his woeful shooting from crosses and free-kicks. There sure is no reason to believe that he - or Waghorn - can't get their act together this season, but I would expect with themtwo patience may run thin. There is quite some competitive footie to be played before the end of the TF window for them to make their mark.

Edited by der Berliner

I think he may have played the odd game there for Ayr (and in midfield as well) but he's seen primarily as a centre half.

Not sure where Dumbarton were playing him.

Ayr he was predominantly a CB but he also played DM. Likewise, no idea where Dumbarton played him.

I should maybe clarify my previous comment - I think that his future is considered to be at CB. I've never seen him play other than in training so have no idea of the attributes he would bring - probably a psychological thing for me to consider a CB for a full back position.

I suspect (maybe hope) that Tavernier will find a new lease of life with Bruno Alves beside him. Having proper DM's in front of him such as Jack & Rossiter will help tremendously too as he will be able to get forward in the knowledge that he has cover behind him should play break down, something he never really had last season (Barton was supposed to fill that role but sadly didn't).

Tavernier will be able to support the front line fairly safely knowing he has those DM's AND the experience of Alves covering for him.

Yeah, maybe it is just wishful thinking - but I do believe that there is a player in Tavernier. He is athletic, quick, decent distribution, good set piece taker - he just needs to improve his focus and reduce his lapses in concentration - he could be fairly costly to replace. I would give him another season to see if the new additions would help him improve his consistency and performance level.

Ayr he was predominantly a CB but he also played DM. Likewise, no idea where Dumbarton played him.

I should maybe clarify my previous comment - I think that his future is considered to be at CB. I've never seen him play other than in training so have no idea of the attributes he would bring - probably a psychological thing for me to consider a CB for a full back position.

He played in midfield at Ayr and RB at Dumbarton.