The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

Rangers Exclusive: Former Ibrox striker open to linking up with Pedro Caixinha

STEVIE NAISMITH is keen to become part of Pedro Caixinha’s Rangers revolution.

By SCOTT BURNS

The Scotland striker’s days at Norwich could be over after they failed to bounce back to the English Premier League at the first time of asking.

Naismith is one of the club’s highest earners and has two years left on his deal.

While Norwich may be prepared to write off the £8.5million they paid for him in January, they would need to come to an agreement over the remainder of his contract.

If Naismith, 30, does leave the Canaries it is understood he would welcome a return to Ibrox.

However, he would have to take a significant wage cut.

Naismith left Rangers in 2012 on a free transfer after the club went into administration.

While that angered some supporters, they would likely take him back with open arms.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/799938/Rangers-exclusive-Steven-Naismith-Pedro-Caixinha-transfer-news-gossip

Comments from Naismith and Whittaker at that press conference:

Naismith

“The uncertainty surrounding the new club, especially in terms of what league they’re going to play in, has been a major factor in my decision.

“It probably hasn’t sunk in yet I’m not a Rangers player any more. It’s been a tough few days. But a big decision had to be made and I believe I’ve made the right one.

“This is a new company called Sevco. I’ve never met Mr Green or anyone from Sevco.

“I don’t know who the investors are or what league they’ll be in. So how can I push forward into a new company that I don’t know anything about or any person involved in it?

“I have concerns about who is in charge of the new club, definitely. You need to know what business you’re going to be part of.

“The loyalty I had was with Rangers. I’ve never met anyone from Sevco since it’s been formed. And I don’t think I could have moved forward on those terms.

“Will I ever come back and support the new club? I haven’t thought about it. Like a lot of Rangers fans, I’m just thinking short-term rather than long-term.

“I just hope a team can be playing at Ibrox in front of 52,000 folk every second week and competing for trophies because it means so much to a lot of people.”

Whittaker

“From a football point of view, I think it’s best to continue my career elsewhere.

“I’m 28 and I want to play at the top level for as much as I can.

“It doesn’t look like Rangers will be in the SPL and there’s no European football.

“We owe no loyalty to the new club. There is no history there for us.”

Honestly, footballers are not known for being the brightest people. And I remember full well what sort of rumours and information were flying about at the time, from all sorts of angles and parties. Do I expect a player seeing through the whole concundrum at the time?

Likewise, I think I read that Green (i.e. the chap Naismith is refering to) was all too eager to get the high-earners off the pay list, transfer fee or not. What sort of communication was done between "club"/Green and players is anyone's guess. We all know what sort of people where crawling through the hallowed halls of Ibrox back then, don't we?

Hyndman isn't that good apart from his first 3/4 matches, that said if we had managed an extension for a season and had a full pre season under his belt he may have kicked on further, but we need better players with a more robust build also.

I'd say Hyndman is a decent enough talent, yet he like anyone else needs good quality around him to use his potential. It was backs to the wall stuff against the Yahoos with no-one about him able to do a proper job. Against Partick, things may well be different, yet, as he will go back to Bournemouth, I'd rather see PC trialing those of whom he has seen not that much up till now, including Windass, Forrester and O'Halloran.

I am not, never have been, a fan of "bringing them back". It rarely works, the returnee never seeming to aspire to, never mind hit, the heights of previous

campaigns.

It has often seemed to me that such moves are made, because the manager, or, perhaps more likely, the commercial director, thinks that it will please, or appease, the support, and thus sell more tickets, scarves, sweaters, and club related novelty ephemera.

Sometimes it is clear that Board member(s) liked him as a player first time round, and that this admiration solely drove a return. Frankly that kind of 'vanity signing' gets a "No, thanks", from me.

Things have moved on, and the future is not in the past, so let's not rush to tie a yellow ribbon, nor to kill a fatted calf, nor to celebrate a 'homecoming', please.

Agree RE Hyndman with Der Berliner, Hyndman could exile in this league for another year with better players. I actually thought Toral would be the better signing but its been Hyndman. Eddie Howe says he wont release him again but I would take that with a pinch of salt.

Thats 2 years in a row we have had a key loan member going back and their career could go downhill. Ball from Spurs was an unsung hero last season and has ended up at Rotherham. OK Spurs second string are as good as there is in the UK but I thought he would at least get a decent loan or a better club. Hyndman could maybe take note although he has a better chance of making things at Bournemouth than Ball had at Spurs.

But Im sure Pedro has his own list of targets. The papers just need stories to print at the moment.

From FF ...

Naismith over Waghorn or Garner?

Oh yes!

Hits the ground running?

Oh yes?

Free you say?

Oh, Yes

Leaves any hard cash free for other positions?

Oh, Yes

If he's available and we want him, it's s the right thing to do. No brainer for me.

Obviously the mantra that returning players usullay don't fulfill their potential again has been done to death, and more often than not it was correct. IMHO, Lafferty would be one of the cases were we could very well end up with that stereotype.

As the FFer above though stated, Naismith sure is of a quality that we truly lack at the moment. We sure don't know what money he was and will be on, but like Miller, he knows our situation full well and - as opposed to Miller - his years in England's top tiers have sure left him a rich man. But again, I won't get excited just yet.

Remind me just what was it he said that was so offensive? I honestly could not expect a Scotland player at his peak to willingly accept 4th division football. Lee Wallace was different - he had time on his side but the likes of McGregor and Naisy didn't.

The problem with Naismith & Whitakker was that they didn't transfer their employment to the new company. If they had done (as Davis & Edu did), then they could have left for a fee & everyone would have been happy. As it was, they left without the club getting a penny.

The problem with Naismith & Whitakker was that they didn't transfer their employment to the new company. If they had done (as Davis & Edu did), then they could have left for a fee & everyone would have been happy. As it was, they left without the club getting a penny.

I get the feeling Whittaker was easily misled by Naismith, not sure on others thoughts. Naismith was certainly the more vocal and seemed to have a speech prepared.

5 years on and the ghosts come back to haunt - I hope Pedro comes out and categorically states neither are of interest.