RFC negotiate new 12 month retail deal with Sports Direct

what is this??

There are hints or more rumours of Ashley selling his shares to King, probably at a premium knowing Ashley/ But if true whatever the price it's a price worth paying to get that mans claws out the club imo.

Hopefully,again if true, Club1872 have got our fingers in the share of the pie.

Glasgow airport shops are nothing more than a waste of space , they cost a fortune and make hardly any money , would be sad to see us back there to be honest , and I work for the airport

Understood but worth for brand awareness, in my opinion even if it breaks even.

I have never been in any doubt that King was a clever and successful businessman, so I am happy to acknowledge his success in this re-negotiation. Getting a one year deal is a great achievement. It is good news for Rangers and the fans and hopefully there is no sting in the tail. My other concerns remain however; and it will be interesting to see how much money King himself actually invests in the Club, or if perhaps he has agreed to buy some or all of Ashley's shareholding, he will include that as well.

The sum of King's investment is pretty much irrelevant if as it appears he has created the conditions that make other investors both old and new confident enough to invest. Also calls into question the shares in the "Easdale bloc" if Ashley plays ball.

King alluded to the old deal which Murray negotiated with JJB, of which I was an outspoken critic at the time. King says we need a retail partner and there is no doubt that this saves tying up money in shop leases, staff and stock etc; but however it is achieved I long to see a Rangers shop back on Sauchiehall St and at Glasgow Airport. The sight of the large Celtic shop at the top of the stairs with nothing on "our" side is hard to take at the start of any trip.

The JJB deal was probably the best deal we've ever done given the fact that it effectively gave us £6m+ net for each season it existed.

Airport shops are vanity projects that haemorrhage cash according to your pals Llambias and Leach.

Glasgow airport shops are nothing more than a waste of space , they cost a fortune and make hardly any money , would be sad to see us back there to be honest , and I work for the airport

My brother is a tax man who works in customs at the airport. I believe they make a tidy profit. ;)3

I recall seeing a deal where the airport took 98% of the income from a franchise. The amount of money they demand is crazy.

There are hints or more rumours of Ashley selling his shares to King, probably at a premium knowing Ashley/ But if true whatever the price it's a price worth paying to get that mans claws out the club imo.

Hopefully,again if true, Club1872 have got our fingers in the share of the pie.

Meanwhile another obsessive who knows nothing has his say -

" David Low is suggesting that all may not be too positive for Scotland's 3rd force and that there's a 'big development looming'. " :rolleyes:

I've always said Glasgow should heavily advertise Rangers and Celtic in the same way that Liverpool does with Everton and Liverpool.

I realise the potential issues with this. But if done correctly it could be a money spinner for both clubs.

The JJB deal was probably the best deal we've ever done given the fact that it effectively gave us £6m+ net for each season it existed.

It gave us £18 million up front to reduce our debt (released at £1.8m per year to the accounts) and also saved interest on the debt at the time and a guaranteed £3m per season which was more or less the same as "In the 11 seasons prior to the JJB deal, we only ever made £3m or more clear profit from retail on one occasion." (from another web site, so not sure if accurate).

There was a great deal of angst over the closure of the shops and job losses and my view at the time was that we were sacrificing future profit potential for the upfront payment. My recollection is that we never got much more than the £3m but am happy to be corrected.

Edited by BrahimHemdani